Dead & Company: The Grateful Dead Is Resurrected (Again), This Time With John Mayer *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by segue, Aug 5, 2015.

1. trd

trd Forum Resident

Mayer’s voice is unbearable to me. I had to turn the video off after he finished his first verse.

I’m happy to catch Bob and Phil whenever I can and with whoever I can but I cannot get past Mayer’s voice.

Keith V and Crispy Rob like this.
  2. Waymore Lonesome

Waymore Lonesome Forum Resident

Mayer tends to slather the sexy on a bit thick, and he has a long list of accomplishments because of that. He's also had a succesful musical career. Bob is the Bob from Blue Mountain from now on, the shows he did with the Campfire Band and with Dave Nelson Band earlier this year are magical, but he's far more into taking it down several notches rather than pumping it up. He still sings his **** off if you ask me, love that man.

budwhite likes this.
  3. george nadara

george nadara Forum Resident

From The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, Dead & Company perform "Uncle John's Band"...

RayS likes this.
  4. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

At around 1:30 it sounds like they changed the lyric to “Hot damn, well I declare, have you seen the like?” I wonder if that was a request from the show/network or their own decision. Or maybe it’s an FCC thing.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  5. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Mayer's voice is not a good fit for the material, but his guitar work is.

Ellsworth, budwhite and MonkeyMan like this.
  6. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Oteil should do all the non-Weir singing.

jeffsab, Dusty Sommers and budwhite like this.
  7. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I don't if I'd go that far, but I sure would go with "he should sing a heck of a lot more than he currently does"!

Dusty Sommers and ianuaditis like this.
  8. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Saw Jack Straw on Colbert the other night. Thought they sounded really good but my old buddy you’re moving much too SLOW.

budwhite likes this.
  9. 007james

007james Forum Resident

Sounds okay but I think it's time to let it go .....

10. twowwheels

twowwheels Forum Resident

Saw the two Colbert performances. The best thing about D and Co. is that the incredible songs live on. I enjoyed the performances but agree that Mayer is trying to hard to channel Jerry in his playing. Mayer is an excellent guitarist but he needs to find his own way with the Dead's songs.

It also doesn't seem right to have Bobby sing lead on Jerry's songs. Somebody else should sing Jerry's parts and I'd be happy to see Mayer put his lyrical stamp on those tunes.

I don't go to very many large venue performances but I'd love to see D and Co if there were to play at a small to mid size venue. Because they won't, I'll probably never see them live. I'd much rather, for example, see Darrell Scott play the Alberta Rose than D and Co play the Rose Garden.

gellie and ianuaditis like this.
  11. Andy Boyd

Andy Boyd Forum Resident

Yep. But Bob got a trim.

12. hagcel

hagcel Forum Resident

Does Dead.net do any sort of winter/Black Friday/Christmas sale?

13. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

At least Garcia's slow songs

Dusty Sommers and mrogers like this.
  14. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Grateful Who pun intended.

15. zen

zen Senior Member

Grateful Dead tarnishing the ol' legacy.

samthesham likes this.
  16. Not at all.

MonkeyMan likes this.
  17. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I can’t disagree with the Mayer criticisms and he wouldn’t have been my choice, but he and Bob hit it off and the rest is history. I do give him credit though for fully embracing the music and giving it his all, even if the results are mixed. I’d also like to see more vocals from Oteil.

I don’t really listen to much D&C outside of occasional clips or free streams that become available. But having been to several shows I definitely enjoy the live experience. It’s a lot of fun in the moment and it feels good to part of some small semblance of the scene again. The Wrigley shows last summer for example had a great vibe.

18. Waymore Lonesome

Waymore Lonesome Forum Resident

Who knows what motivates the guys at this point, but let's be plain honest, they're not doing Conan, Colbert or the big halls they're playing if Barry Sless was on lead.

Cassius, wavethatflag and ianuaditis like this.
  19. highway

highway Forum Resident

Pre show Boston woo hoo. Just checking in with the Hoffman crew.

ianuaditis likes this.
  20. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Dance. No one is watching

trd, US Blues and Quincy like this.
  21. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I have been listening to the shows from the summer 17 tour and I am liking most of what I am hearing. I challenge the badgers/naysayers to listen to Cassidy into Birdsong( just one example) from 1st set-second night at Mountain View show and tell me that this band has nothing to offer. This bunch is bringing a ton of new fans into the Dead camp and that is a grate thing as far as I am concerned. I love seeing the average age of the fans going down. I really wouldn't mind terribly if I was the only old fart in attendance( other than Bob, Billy Mickey of course). Yes I love Jerry and boy I am happy to have the memories and recordings of Jerry's brilliant playing but boy I also want the live concert communal experience with the great GD community in a hall or stadium filled to the rafters with gleeful sweating fans and this ensemble delivers big time.

jeffsab, unravelled, budwhite and 2 others like this.
  22. highway

highway Forum Resident

Quite the set list at the Garden. Two of my favorites were Cold Rain and Snow and Morning Dew. The jamming on Casey Jones was pretty amazing too and one I didn't recognize as a newbie but I liked was Corrina.

budwhite likes this.
  23. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Those two performances from Colbert's show are mediocre at best and the tempos are too slow.
    Mayer's "fey" voice doesn't suit this material at all and he looks a bit silly and out of place up there with those older fellas dressed in his tie die shirt with his GQ haircut. He looks like such a goddamn phony to me.

I saw the Grateful Dead with Garcia twice (and I'm glad I did) and I'm a fan as well to a certain degree but I would not go see this outfit if I was given a ticket for free.
    John Mayer just ruins the whole vibe for me; I just cannot stand this guy and why a lot of fans are behind this project is beyond me as it just doesn't measure up overall.

It's like Bob Weir's getting a little too old and Mayer's a little too young.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    trd, bzfgt and Crispy Rob like this.
  24. What is a "fey" voice?

It's really disappointing to see you call someone you don't know a "phony" especially when all indications are the complete opposite regarding his embracing of the music. It's disappointing (and IMO, not at all part of the Dead 'vibe') to judge someone on the basis of how they look.

25. love how a bunch of jamokes sitting in front of a computer screen feel they have the authority to suggest that by continuing to perform, the guy who wrote and sang these songs is somehow tarnishing legacy, and, better yet, who that guy should or shouldn't perform with. like bob weir should be concerned what vinylhound86 thinks of this stage of his career.

J_D__, jeffsab, budwhite and 3 others like this.