Dead & Company: The Grateful Dead Is Resurrected (Again), This Time With John Mayer *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by segue, Aug 5, 2015.

1. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Freedom!

Liberty!

Leave me alone, to find my own way home!

mmthmj, sami and Dennis0675 like this.
  2. sami

sami Mono still rules

Oh, no doubt. We're actually thinking of having a couple of kids after retiring, and you'll be our first phone call.

US Blues and Dennis0675 like this.
  3. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Hmmm, if you wait that late they may not be big enough to change your diaper when the time comes. We may need to start another thread but I'll bring it back by saying, it worked for Bob Weir.

Greenmonster2420 and sami like this.
  4. sami

sami Mono still rules

Who do you think our role model is?

US Blues and Dennis0675 like this.
  5. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

[​IMG]

6. sami

sami Mono still rules

Bobby's look is saying "didn't think I had it in me, did you mo**erf***kers"?

Chrome_Head, budwhite, mmthmj and 2 others like this.
  7. Scored a copy of One From the Vault for a great price, which just arrived. I’m wondering how to proceed. Do I:

A) vacuum clean now and piss off my wife who is sleeping near by and has to be up for work in 6 hours
    B) wait until Saturday to clean/play
    C) break my rule of cleaning everything after purchase and before play

sami likes this.
  8. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Rules are BS, play your record. If it sounds noisy, clean it later.

sami and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  9. I think you’re right on this one. Generally I don’t clean just for noise reduction but to protect and prolong the life of my stylus. But I’m sure it will survive (~);}

sami and Dennis0675 like this.
  10. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

The last thing I would want to do is turn this into a record cleaning thread, dead and co have no vinyl and most heads are into digital for the obvious reasons but I had rules, cleaned records like I have OCD and told myself it was to prolong the live of my cart. I gave that up and just put 2,000 hours on a Lyra Delos before it wore out. No less than I had on my cart when cleaning. If you can’t hear it, it’s not hurting your stylus. I’m not saying not to clean records but it’s cool to just clean them when they are noisy. And I have a zero tolerance policy on noise.

I would probably also be playing that album louder than the noise my RCM would make, so a sleeping wife would be problematic. One from the vault sounds amazing, dead quite for a “live” dead show and responds well to being cranked up.

wavethatflag and sami like this.
  11. sami

sami Mono still rules

These type of situations are what a good pair of headphones were made for.

I'll clean all used records, but new only if noisy.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  12. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

You may not smoke as much as I do, laziness wins at my house. Good call on headphones.

sami likes this.
  13. I took it out and it was way too dirty for me to let it slide. I am probably considered insane by some, but the thought of just brushing it down and playing it gave me anxiety lol. I will probably have to spin clean and hand dry later tonight.

Funny thing is, I can blast the music all night and she won’t stir at all. But once my RCM comes on, look out lol

Sorry to derail the thread but it’s the only GD thread I currently follow and am super stoked to have grabbed this.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    Chrome_Head, RayS and Dennis0675 like this.
  14. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

It’s all good by me and I don’t think @segue is going to yell at us. You’re right to be excited, that’s a terrific album. I didn’t care for it when it was first released, found it to be a bit clinical compared to the tapes I was trading and the shows I was seeing at the time. Getting it on vinyl really turned me around on that position.

sami likes this.
  15. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

16. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I'd laugh, but I'm afraid Biebs would end up playing keyboards for Dead & Bros in 2028. Which is about as likely to happen as I assumed Josh Meyers playing with them woulda been back in 2005.

17. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

That’s a fair point

wavethatflag and sami like this.
  18. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

This is awesome.
    Weir is one step away from becoming Blue from Old School.
    I’ve got $50 on the old man.

19. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Crispy Rob and Dennis0675 like this.
  20. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

21. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I'm no psychologist but it would seem that then you sandwich one night of Deer Creek between the Gorge and Wrigley, there is a bit less excitement for the band and an effort to save some big numbers for the weekend.

If the band has heard complaints about tempo, they doubled down last night. Every song in the first set was very chill, at the spot where Black Throated Wind should have gone, Bobby pulled out Looks like Rain. If I'm not mistaken, that is the first time since 95 Bobby has played it. Perhaps in Rat Dog but not in Further or Dead and Co. There is a pattern they are using where every song starts off really mellow and then works it's way into a face melting guitar finish.

22. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

23. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

I saw Bobby play Looks Like Rain with Furthur in 2010. It was a dirge. I was up the stairs headed to the bathroom so fast you can still feel the "Swoosh!" at the 1st Bank Center.

budwhite and Dennis0675 like this.
  24. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Nice audience tapes of both Gorge shows are up on Archive/ReListen and bt.etree for anyone interested.

My personal opinion:
    On the plus side: Some really cool second set transitions both nights
    On the negative side: While it was cool for "Miracle", "Throwing Stones" and "Terrapin" to all make unlikely 1st set appearances, the tempo on "Miracle" just makes it a completely different song (in a bad way) - going from rock and roll to generic blues, and "Stones" also suffers from being a dirge.

budwhite and Dennis0675 like this.
  25. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Stones and Miracle are two songs that us old timers are not going to get very excited about, they were after all played to death for a very long time. I find the reworking to be more interesting than just having the band learn the songs from some old tapes. Sometimes you do have to hear different or new things a couple times to get into it, that is somewhat the case for me. It's an odd thing, you either play them like people know them and you are a cover band or you play them like you want to and you are compared negatively to the past. One thing is certain, they are drawing big crowds and people are having a very good time. The people not going are the ones that are complaining the most. I guess that is the way it's always been.

I'm not saying I'm above complaining or being critical, I'm doing plenty of that, as I always have. I will say I'm finding following along to this tour much more interesting than listening to old shows I've heard many times before. But if you are going to nit pick the Gorge, stay away from Deer Creek.

The MEZ, sami and budwhite like this.