Dead Oppo 205 on ebay up to almost $1200

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by moomoomoomoo, May 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo Thread Starter

The 03 don't have the value od the 05's, but I would still suggest getting it repaired while you can. I've seen a stock 205 power supply on ebay for $1200!

ghost rider likes this.
  2. moomoomoomoo

I think it's also the sound. In my experience, the old Oppo dvd players didn't sound very good. Tended to be bright on music.

ti-triodes and midniteinsanjuan like this.
  3. Good to know. I have a old Pioneer laserdisc that I use to listen to CDs

4. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Maybe it’s not the Oppo having problems.

5. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

That sounds worse than the Oppo! :hide:

latheofheaven and ti-triodes like this.
  6. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

i think part of the issue for inflated prices on discontinued high quality disk players is the very high prices for new ones for various reasons.
    my discontinued SACD player (marantx SA8005) is not only hard to find on the used market it is actually selling for more that original retail.
    looking at the cost of new players (KI Ruby, SA30n) which retail for $4000 and $2600 respectively have influenced the price of used players.

latheofheaven likes this.
  7. moomoomoomoo

Oppo was certainly selling the 95-205 series' for way under market value.

8. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

Plays BD files fine or seems to. So I don't know if it's even broke.

9. Ha! I'm not sure, I'll have to do a shoot out now.

10. bluenosens

bluenosens Forum Resident

The Nuform 93NXE is an example of a modded Oppo 93. I own one. And Oppo replaced parts on it under warranty. It was one of the very best repair experiences I've had. They were a class act IMO. :righton:

11. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

Sony: worst "customer support" ever! Notorious for firmware "upgrades" that remove functionality, and for not releasing new versions that either correct known issues or add features. The elimination of Gracenote access, and the inability of Canadian customers to access Spotify, being two examples.

qwerty and PhantomStranger like this.
  12. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

My oppo -bdp-83 just broke. So thanks to this thread, I will ship it too Oppo and see if they can fix it for a reasonable price

13. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

So, for clarity, the Oppo and Cambridge 83 and 751BD models were made at the same factory using the same underlying Mediatek platform and share an identical backplate, but there the similarities end.

Different power supply, different DAC chip (5 x Wolfson 8740 vs ESS whatever number they had at the time), different audio board, and a different chassis to the front. Different ethos as well as no streaming services were included (wisely IMO).

So based on is a tad a stretch. Similarities yes, but ultimately, completely different units. See also the 650, 651, 752BD and CXU models too. You weren't just buying a rebadged Oppo when you bought a Cambridge player.

Blair G., ti-triodes and Echo like this.
  14. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Is there anyway to get a replacement Oppo 105 remote? Is there anyway to get new replacement Oppo remotes for any model? My 105 remote isn't working. I have both the 205 and 105, and the way I easily tell which remote goes to which player is that big red NETFLIX button that was on the 105 remote. I don't use it, but it works as a marker. So I'd love to get a new 105 remote, but can I get a new 205 remote anyway?

I see used ones on Ebay, and even the remotes seem to be getting pricey. Can anyone suggest a good third party remote model that is fully compatible with an Oppo 105?

15. moomoomoomoo

It appears that the Flippers bought the entire stock. Until recently, they were $10 or less from Oppo. I got myself a 95 back up a few months back.

You can still get an 95 or earlier for $8 here:
    OPPO Digital Products

Chinese OEM's on Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Remote-Digital-BDP-103D-BDP-105D/dp/B07HBDC8L3

https://www.amazon.com/HCDZ-Replace...C2W1ZPS/ref=dp_fod_1?pd_rd_i=B08C2W1ZPS&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/HCDZ-Replace...CK5RSND/ref=dp_fod_2?pd_rd_i=B08CK5RSND&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Calvas-Orgin...c806f&pd_rd_wg=JgXCW&pd_rd_i=B07RBB5TSB&psc=1

Amazon's search engine is notoriously poor. There are likely more OEM's/pirated remotes if you wish to spend the time searching.

16. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

I have an Oppo BD-83 that gets the "No Disc" error many times, even if there is a known good disc in it.

Is there a way to get this repaired?

17. moomoomoomoo

18. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I payed a grand for my NOS 103D 2 years ago. But this Argentina and audio usually retails for 3 times the USA value. I understand it was sold for some 550 bucks in 2014, when it hit the market ? Anyway, it made more sense than paying 900 bucks for a Yamaha S300, and man, the build quality, the transport, the files it can play, and the video quality, and the upscaling, and....and....and....:goodie:

19. moomoomoomoo

Oppo considered the 03's to be budget units only fit for video. The 05's were considered audiophile. Either way, imo the best av bargain............... EVER!

mikeyt and MikeJedi like this.
  20. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Ease off on the Cambridge line. They shared the Mediatek base platform, beyond that, separate power supplies, different DACs, different analogue section.

On fact, the only one that probably was the same as Oppo was the DAC free CXU-HD 4K transport.

21. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Thanks mooo. I have send them a contact message. I see they are in CA. I'm in NY, that means high shipping costs so the total out of pocket may not be worth it for a deck that old, but I will see what they say. Thanks for taking the time to post.

22. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I think my 105 remote is completely dead. I can't get it to do anything. I've gone through the process of removing the batteries, pressing and holding each button for 3 seconds, and then rotating batteries. Nothing.

Anyone get any of these non-Oppo remotes for a 105 and able to share whether it worked fine or not? Any issues?

23. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

I purchased this awhile ago not expecting much. It easily exceeded my expectations.

I use it for both my OPPO's (80 and 205) and about 6 other things...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FXK18BY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

24. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Is their iOS app still available for download? That should hold you over.

25. moomoomoomoo

I think I saw both i-phone & android based remote software on the Oppo site. I personally would not be interested unless i was truly desperate, but that's me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.