Deadwood Coming back!*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mazzy, Aug 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I missed Al. And it wasn't that McShane wasn't up to the task, he still can be as diabolically menacing as ever, check him out on American Gods. No, IMO the successes and failures of the movie are all on David Milch. I've been an avid fan of Milch since his Hill St. Blues days. I've watched NYPD Blue so many times I've lost count. DW, John From Cinncinatti, Luck, seen them all numerous times. As a fan, I've become attuned to Milch's writing style, especially the 'flow' of his dialog, ALL these shows have it. I felt like this was more of a farewell from Milch than anything else. And I'm SO APPRECIATIVE that he did it and that HBO allowed him to do it, bravo! (Even if he did neuter Al!;))

Dave Hoos, slipkid, thgord and 3 others like this.
  2. Ty D. Tatman

Ty D. Tatman Forum Resident

I had just about zero qualms with the film. Felt like it just picked up where the last episode left off with a ten year gap, which is exactly what happened. It brought closure. I was very happy with it.

slipkid, btltez and GentleSenator like this.
  3. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I can't help but think that Al's demise, particularly his memory loss(at one point Bullock wonders if Al even remembers a conversation from earlier) was Milch inserting his own situation into the story. Very sad.

4. Ty D. Tatman

Ty D. Tatman Forum Resident

NPR did an hour special leading up to the movie and that much was implied for sure.

5. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I’m about more than half way through. I’ve liked what I’ve seen so far. I had forgotten how vexatious Milch’s dialogue can be. You’ve really got to pay attention to what is said and the intended meaning. No complaints, but I’d be lying if I said I wouldn’t want another season. Oh well.

One thing, though, wasn’t Doc Cochran dying of consumption at the end of the third season? He seems totally fine now.

6. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Tellyawhat, If you really want to watch a PRIMO 2 hour Deadwood movie, do what I did yesterday (by mistake!). Prepping for the movie, I dug into the DVR and pulled out 2 episodes from season 1; Mr. Wu & Jewel's boot...., The show was never better than at this time! The movie felt like a 'cliffnotes' version of the original! I actually preferred the look of Deadwood the town from the old days, in the movie it looked like any other western town. I'm voicing disappointment but I actually dug it, isn't that weird!?;)

slipkid and sberger like this.
  7. DreamIsOver

DreamIsOver Senior Member

A second viewing was far kinder to my opinion of the movie.

sberger likes this.
  8. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Couldnt agree more about the 2 episodes you refer to. Some of the best writing/acting ever.,

slipkid and trumpet sounds like this.
  9. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

ohhh yeah! he was, wasn't he?

man i'd have been pissed if we didn't get him back to lecture al one last time (or several as is the case here)

slipkid likes this.
  10. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

I loved it.
    Gonna watch again today.

11. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I enjoyed the film. The most surprising thing for me was HBO (through Tivo, it's "on demand" HBO through the Prime interface) made me search so hard for it. I would have thought it would be a top of the page attraction, but I really had to drill down.

thgord likes this.
  12. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

He was very sick, my understanding is that consumption (tuberculosis) is not a 100% death sentence even in the late 1800's, obviously he recovered over the 13 year gap in time.

slipkid and GentleSenator like this.
  13. ghostofzuul

ghostofzuul Harvester of Sorrow

i understand that the flashbacks were deployed as a device so that it could be a standalone film... but i found it to be a bit unnecessary... and distracting... other than that i thought it was very well executed... olyphant and mcshane were brilliant as always... and it didn't feel forced... it seemed like the logical and natural procession of things...

you would have thought that people would have figured out not to mess with seth bullock by now.... apparently not.

Dave Hoos and GentleSenator like this.
  14. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

I loved it. Eloquent and poetic I thought. Ya c**k s**kers.

Dave Hoos and JM Jones like this.
  15. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I really liked it. i think they needed a little more time to get to where they got by the end but, i still loved it. my main qualm: having al be on the deaths door from the beginning - we've only got limited time with our characters I would've liked it if he was at full steam.... other than that, great!

bzfgt, Dave Hoos and tommy-thewho like this.
  16. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Well said pope!!

Good seeing the show back.

the pope ondine likes this.
  17. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

Loved it. Wish it could have been a two part show and spend more time there, but it was great seeing and hearing all those characters again after so many years. A nice coda to a fantastic TV show. The dialoge was still sharp as a razors edge.

musicfan37 and AmosM like this.
  18. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Anyone notice

Jason Isbell in one scene and 1 other cameo from a Deadwood alumnus towards the end?

slipkid likes this.
  19. california_roll

california_roll Memento Mori

Loved the movie, saw it twice during the weekend.

The last five minutes in particular were very poignant.
    Yup.

Jerry Cantrell of Alice in Chains was standing right next to him, I think. Or maybe it was his twin brother.

slipkid likes this.
  20. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

poor don swayze. always cast as a goon and usually dispatched.

21. leemelone

leemelone Forum Resident

Are you talking about Garrett Dillahunt? He played two different parts in the original series, Jack McCall (the man who killed Wild Bill) and Francis Wolcott in season two. They disguised him pretty well with the bushy hair and beard but it's definitely him.

22. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Yes. He was also in Justified.

Dave Hoos and slipkid like this.
  23. leemelone

leemelone Forum Resident

He's been in a million shows. He's on Fear The Walking Dead right now. I can't think of any other actor who played three different characters on ONE show.

Dave Hoos and slipkid like this.
  24. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Were all of the flashbacks in the original series? I say that because in the series when Hearst damages Al's hand I do not remember seeing him actually cut off his finger. In fact while watching the original show (just about a week ago for the 2nd time) I had no idea he cut his finger off at all. I just thought he smashed it with a hammer. But in the movie the flashback clearly showed the finger being chopped off (???). If it was there in the original show then I must've dozed off or something distracted me in real life and caused me to miss that.

Anyways, I enjoyed the movie and thought it was well done. Seemed like in 10 years although some of those characters looked like they had aged 20-30 years (except for Hearst who looked pretty much the same, but he was already "old"). But not everything made sense or was fully satisfying for me.

For example, I didn't understand anything about that new girl who arrives on the same train as Mrs. Ellsworth and Sofia. Seemed like right from the onset she was supposed to be some big new character with an important subplot going on - as if maybe she was Al's long lost daughter or something like that - but she turned out to be basically nothing and nobody. And if so, then wtf was she doing come out there supposedly saying she was there to get a room at Al's "hotel"? She didn't actually even seem like a whore at all to me & didn't even belong being there at the Gem.

Likewise the conclusion so much as Hearst was concerned felt unresolved to me. Bullock should have let the crowd kill him (heck I wanted him to shoot him dead on the hotel balcony during that faceoff earlier). Cause as long as he is alive, he is a threat to everybody. He is going to get out of jail one way or another then there will be real hell to pay. Leaving him alive is not leaving him defeated. Or did I miss something?

Cool to see Wu with his grandson as his interpreter (at first I thought it was his son but Al or someone calls him his grandson so I guess that is what he was - which is kind of strange actually since the original show never showed him with a wife or anything, so in ten years he had a wife, a kid, then his kid had a kid too? wtf). Wu seemed to have enhanced his English vocabulary some too.

25. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I like that Bullock decided at the last minute to end the public execution...…...the last season ended with him going along with the plan to kill an innocent hooker, this time he chose to do the right thing, even though hearst was a murderer.
    I didn't get the subplot with the young girl either.....

Dave Hoos likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.