Deadwood Coming back!*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mazzy, Aug 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I’m 3/4 of the way through it and I’m enjoying it it’s not spectacular but wow everybody is in it! So it’s a great reunion and it’s not a half bad story. I just feel really sad because I noticed Ian McShane slurring his words on the latest episodes of American Gods. I thought maybe he was getting over pneumonia or something while he was filming them. But now I see he’s also badly slurring his words In the deadwood movie. I wonder what it could be caused by —- any number of things at that age.

asdf35 likes this.
  2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Finished it Nice ending. Nice tying of threads. thanks David Milch.

Humbuster likes this.
  3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

He’s dying of liver failure in the movie. You’d expect him to slur his words in that. As to the rest, who knows?

GentleSenator likes this.
  4. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I was watching an interview and thinking he's in great shape for 76....maybe a little on the s's but still, we should all be so dapper

American Gods' Ian McShane Says Returning for the Deadwood Movie Was Surreal | Lorraine

5. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

I wouldn't say its great but its damn good considering how much time has past. Would have loved to see Hearst killed but historically that didn't happen so maybe that's why. Out of four stars, I'd give it a solid 3 1/2.

Maybe the new girl was brought in for the spinoff series: Sol & Trixie: The New Cathouse The Series!

trd and Ghostworld like this.
  6. california_roll

california_roll Memento Mori

Just like David Milch himself, Ian is a recovering alcoholic and substance abuser.

He's even mentioned there's a couple of movies he has no memory of filming when he was younger...

Ghostworld likes this.
  7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I didn't get the new girl. I thought she was being set up for something, they spent all this time on her, then nothing. They musta changed gears

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    slipkid and GentleSenator like this.
  8. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

some desire to have a point-of-view character to kind of thread things together? i don't know, but thankfully her presence didn't derail the movie.

9. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Great,best thing on HBO this year

Humbuster likes this.
  10. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

My wife and I watched it Monday night (our time). While I agree regarding the point of the young woman who looks like she'll be an important or relevant character, but turns out not to be, I really enjoyed it. If the series is a 10/10 (which in my eyes it is), then I'd score this a solid 8/10. I've only watched it the once so far so another few viewings may raise my appreciation of it. Having Al somewhat less than the force of nature he was previously is a bit of an issue I think. The show could have easily ended with him still being alive and well, albeit looking considerably older, but I guess it does bring a touch of sadness to the film. He's almost an observer as to what happens around him this time, with occasional offerings of advice to Bullock and others.

I got a big laugh when I spotted Garret Dillahunt as one of the drunks. That was pretty cool.

I'm looking forward to rewatching it several times.

CS.

trd likes this.
  11. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

I didn't watch Deadwood when it was originally on, but these past few days and weeks I caught up on all 3 seasons on HBO. I can say I really enjoyed the series. The movie? Oh man, it was so dull to me. Just disappointing. I didn't agonize over it, but it felt like a made for network tv movie IMHO.
    I know it's 10 years later, but to me none of the characters have aged well.

12. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

The show was canceled in 2006. So the actors are closer to 15 years older than the 10 that we’re given to believe. Yeah, some haven’t aged that well, but it wasn’t horrible. The most noticeable was Jewel. She looked ancient.

GentleSenator and Dave Hoos like this.
  13. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Better than Chernobyl? I love Deadwood, but no.

Bender Rodriguez and Borgia like this.
  14. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

15. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

I took it they were using her as a sort of metaphor or lack of better word, as Al looking back at when he took Trixie under his wing. Then the way Johnny thought she was like Jen, who was like Trixie as well. I need to watch it again but that is how I took it. She was symbolic to Al and Trixie's relationship.

16. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I think the show tried to age most of them to emphasize deadwood living, and the hearst, and the rich woman looked relatively the same

GodShifter likes this.
  17. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

I've been catching pieces of the movie, just watched the final act. That's some heavy ****. Really got to me. The injustice of life, and the ageing process... Also, while I'm not a fan of mob justice, that night mob scene toward the end was very satisfying.

Really happy to hear Michael Hurley's "Hog Of The Forsaken" used as the closing song. It was also used in the original series. Hurley has a long recorded history (dating back to the mid-60s) and he's never had to suck-up or sell-out to the Man. I smiled thinking of him getting some royalties from Deadwood, as he like no other reminds me of a character straight out of the show.

california_roll, btltez and Dave Hoos like this.
  18. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

The real Senator George Hearst was the Great Grandfather of Patty Hearst. Didn't know that until I just looked it up.

GodShifter and slipkid like this.
  19. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

didt see that ,didn't care to

20. california_roll

california_roll Memento Mori

Also the father of William Randolph Hearst, the media mogul used as a model for Charles Foster Kane.

You probably knew it already but I just needed to get it out.

[​IMG]

Such a great movie...

21. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

I thought the same thing, during that scene. And, I just re-watched the series within the past few weeks, so I'm relatively sure they didn't show the finger, originally.

There was a weird inconsistency in the historical timeline, anyway, since the real Al Swearengen died almost 14 years after George Hearst.

musicarus, slipkid and Dave Hoos like this.
  22. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Yeah, but Deadwood played pretty fast and loose with the historical facts of all the real people who were characters. George Hearst probably wasn’t the greatest guy, but he wasn’t that guy either. He was a convenient character to introduce that actually had been to Deadwood. He was rich and influential but he wasn’t what he’s portrayed in the series.

23. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thanks for confirming that about the finger. I thought I was going crazy!

AndrewS likes this.
  24. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Gotta say, I just finished watching the episode where Al lost his finger. When I saw it for the 1st time, years ago, I knew immediately that he had lost a finger. It was just as clear when I watched it an hour ago! What show were you guys watching?

GentleSenator and Dave Hoos like this.
  25. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I seem to recall the same, but I’m drunk and didn’t want to make any declarative statements I could not back up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.