Dear Santa-- I want an XM portable satellite radio (picture of new gotta-have)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Lisa, Oct 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Wouldn't you rather have Sirius so you can get Howard Stern next year?

2. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Wow...that's the doodie right there. Actually would consider XM in the future with that thing...:agree:

3. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

For the Stern and NFL fans, Sirius also has a 'walkman' coming.

4. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Not a Stern fan, eh? ;)

5. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I can get along without Stern as well but the Grand Ole Opry is on Sirius.

6. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I cannot.

7. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Heck, even just the recording feature is cool! I wouldn't have to miss Rockabillly Road Trip anymore. :D They don't mention the antenna though. Hmmm. Must be built into the top, or wait, do you get a special wired beanie hat to wear around? :laugh:

Polk Audio is supposedly starting to ship their home XM units soon as well (early November).

[​IMG]

8. GregY

GregY New Member

Hopefully the Sirius version will allow one to store music on it and perhaps allow lossless schemas to be used.

Stern + satellite music + lossless codec + portable device = must have!

9. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Well sure, that came in to my head when I saw the XM version as well, but if I've got an I-Pod-like device that stores a couple thousand of my own favorite songs, why do I need to listen to XM or Sirius? That's why I don't listen to regular radio anymore.
    :confused:

And please don't suggest Stern, I'm not interested in him in the least.
    <*shrug*>

10. GregY

GregY New Member

Well I don't own a portable device but something like that, an all-in-one, would be a must-have for me. Slap on a couple thousand CD-quality songs from your own collection or just listen to commercial-free radio if you want something "new."

Or, look at it this way: if you're going to have a portable satellite radio, with storage capacity, why not allow people to store things other than what you can record off the satellite feed?

11. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

My thought exactly; have to think Apple and the rest of the herd will soon figure a way to roll one of these digital radio products into one unit.

doug

12. PMC7027

Does anyone know about a line out jack? It would be advantageous, IMO, to be able to connect the thing to the stereo when listening at home.

13. dgstrat

dgstrat Senior Member

Yeah, but sat isn't regular radio. If all you do is listen to music you already have, how do you get turned on to new viable artists? I'm not talking about stuff played on commercial radio. Sat radio has opened me up to lots of stuff I would've never heard before.

14. PMC7027

Thank you for the link.

15. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

I got a Roady2 the day before this was announced. No regrets. $130 vs. $350. I wanted it mainly for car use. Just wish they hadn't dropped that On The Rocks channel. I heard a little bit of Sirius and like Lisa, I was not impressed with their DJs. I have no interest in Howard Stern, or Opie and Anthony, but I do enjoy Phil Hendrie, and he's on XM.

16. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam

I'm not any kind of technical wizard so I know nothing about this but I'd like to know how many stations you could get. My friend can get all kinds of radio stations on his computer. This is a dial up connection and it's not even mine as I never owned a computer but he tells me that there's tons of commercial free radio stations on the computer. So what I'm asking is are all the computer radio stations available on that little radio? Thanks.

17. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

Somewhat related, the NY Times Technology section today has small piece on Cambridge Soundworks new docking unit for XM Roadys--looks like a nice option to make the most of these types that can jump from car to home to wherever.

doug

18. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident

I am a very happy XM subscriber.

My wife bought me a roady2 back in July. When she bought it - the sales guy at
    Circuit City said "older folks" (hey - im only 40) enjoy XM, whereas teens and
    20somethings seem to enjoy Sirius more.

Not sure if that really holds true - but I did think that was an interesting contrast.

Only problem is Vin Skelsa went to Sirius - and if there was only ONE reason to
    get Sirius - Vin is it.

Skelsa's Idiot's Delight show has been the most amazing thing on radio - anywhere - for
    a LONG time.

And supposedly the Sirius Idiot's Delight show is different than the show on WFUV
    on Saturday nights.

Stern ? Only good thing about him on Sirius is that he will not be an extra added
    fee. You will get him with the basic show... but I outgrew his radio years
    ago....

19. timw

timw Senior Member

Quick question....As Satellite radio goes portable....How would the antenna setup work??? Don't you have to have a clear 'line of sight' to the satellite??? Where is the antenna on this new portable model???
    Thx,
    Tim

20. Corey

Corey Forum Resident

I listen to Stern a bit now and then. But everything I've heard is that Sirius's audio quality is worse than XM's which isn't particularly great to begin with. Knowing that Hendries is on XM is a plus for XM, is it any different than what we already get on the radio though? I love his show but I cannot bear to listen to his political chat between his "callers". Perhaps after the election things will change.

The XM walkman sure looks cool though. I just am not really sold on paying a monthly fee for radio, maybe for $5 a month.

21. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=por-spk&item=c1pdxmr2
    Here's the link for the Cambridge Soundworks dock, which includes a 20 watt subwoofer, but it's NOT compatible w/the new myfi (I bet they come out w/something that is pretty soon--this unit is back-ordered).

I read the entire myfi thread, thanks! It sounds very cool.

doug

22. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

The antennas in satellite radio are very forgiving, I've found. Mine (for my Sony receiver) will work in a couple of places I never thought it would. I stick it in my front window in the living room and while it's under an overhang, it still pulls in an acceptable signal. I would think that if you kept the unit upright and uncovered by anything metal, it would work.

I thought so myself, but thinking about it more, that's getting a month of unlimited music for less than the cost of a new CD. And I hate to think of the many CDs I've purchased in recent years with only one or two songs on them that I barely listen to.

No, they're not the same as the internet radio stations. There are a few differences there. Some radio streams are from actual radio stations in other cities, while others are run by semi-amateur broadcasters. XM produces all of their own content. XM still has a lot of variety, but it's a different variety than internet streaming.

I'm pretty sure it would: most, if not all, XM receivers that I'm aware of have a standard 1/8" line out jack. They did mention docking options with this new XM "Walkman" so I'm sure it would have one as well. (Or at least the headphone output should work, even if it's not optimal. We're not talking high-res here. ;) )

23. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

Over at www.xm411.com , there is a thread about a Roady "Wearable" , basically a housing for the Roady2 that contains a rechargeable battery, and headphones with the sat antenna in the headphone cord. I hope this hasn't been dropped with the introduction of the My Fi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.