DECCA reissues British Jazz on vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RiRiIII, Jun 1, 2021.

1. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Decca Records | Shop

• Welcome to the British Jazz Explosion!

Dedicated to the fantastic sounds and recordings created by some of the most pioneering musicians from the past 60 years on classic jazz labels such as Decca, Deram, Fontana, Lansdowne, and Tempo Records
    SPACE WALK and other highly sought after jewels.

JackOrion, scotti, McLover and 9 others like this.
  2. happysunshine

happysunshine Tillverkningen av Salubrin startades 1893

”Space Walk” is ONLY €35.99 (+ shipping)! :rolleyes:

sound chaser likes this.
  3. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Shame

sound chaser likes this.
  4. normanr

normanr Forum Resident

I wouldn't exactly call four albums, a compilation and a box set an explosion. Is this the whole catalogue or is there more to come?

5. RiRiIII

I assume it is the start of it. Depending on the demand I suppose.

A good start nevertheless. Remember the Rendell Jazzman box set 3 years ago? Crazy...

Hulloder, happysunshine and Dubmart like this.
  6. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

It's available from Amazon for less.

happysunshine likes this.
  7. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

The Amazon UK link for the vinyl of "Journeys In Modern Jazz: Britain" currently leads to the vinyl version of The New Jazz Orchestra "Le Dejeuner Sur L'Herbe", no sign of the Kenny Wheeler vinyl so far.

happysunshine likes this.
  8. happysunshine

Those Rendell/Carr reissues were fantastic. Close to audiophile pressings and at normal prices. Listened to ”Dusk Fire” yesterday. Think I’m going to need a replacement copy soon as I’ve played it a zillion times.

Hulloder and Dubmart like this.
  9. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I hope they will consider a box set of the four albums Blossom Dearie recorded in the UK for Fontana…

10. RiRiIII

Kenny Wheeler and Don Rendell titles head up long-awaited British Jazz Explosion vinyl reissue series

"Further yinyl reissues in the Re-Cuts series are planned for next year so expect the full release of other titles highlighted on the Journeys In Modern Jazz compilation. Eagle-eyed observers will note the track ‘To Segovia’ from the Mike Taylor Quartet’s Pendelum, one of the most wanted and rarest of the EMI/Lansdowne Series titles. Hopefully 2022 will finally see this 1966 gem finally reappear on vinyl."

11. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I'm hoping for some Joe Harriotts, but to be honest I'll be happy with most anything and hope it sells well enough for the series to really take off and continue.

12. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I just realised that we already have Tone Poets and the AP/Verves, this will be the third Jazz reissue series for me to get deep into, Universal won't rest until they get my entire vinyl budget.;)

13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Reissues of some of the Columbia 'Lansdowne' series would be great. The prices of originals of a lot of those are incredibly high.

McLover, caravan70 and Dubmart like this.
  14. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I believe that both tapes and contracts are missing, but if that's not the case it would be wonderful if Universal could roll in the three sixties Island Jazz LPs, the Ranglins and the McNair.

Talking of which I'm still touting "Below The Bassline" for a TP release if Joe Harley is reading this thread.:laugh:

caravan70 and Man at C&A like this.
  15. happysunshine

That one would site nicely on the shelf next to ”Preparation” coming last week in June:

Preparation for sale | elvinyl

caravan70, Tuck1977 and RiRiIII like this.
  16. NorthernFusion

NorthernFusion There's some fear in letting go...

Hulloder likes this.
  17. Hulloder

Hulloder Forum Resident

I'm 100% in for this series - and I am super pumped for 'Windmill Tilter' which is one of my favourite sets by anyone, just an amazing collection of music.

Agree the Rendell/Carr sets were very well done - more like that and at that price would be amazing.

Arknine and RiRiIII like this.
  18. RiRiIII

My favorite one hopefully to be reissued in these series:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Hulloder

Hulloder Forum Resident

There are so many I would like to see. Mike Westbrook's Love Songs would be up there - I have a Japanese reissue from a few years back but would love an upgrade.

RiRiIII likes this.
  20. RiRiIII

21. Hulloder

Hulloder Forum Resident

Nice.

I'm going to buy everything that comes out from this series.

Tuck1977, Swann36, peskypesky and 2 others like this.
  22. happysunshine

Yes, please! Is it ’jazzy’ enough, though? ”That’s Just the Way I Want to Be” had a Japanese reissue in 2015 but that one’s expensive now. I love that LP and will keep my fingers triple crossed for a reissue.

That’s a masterpiece. I bought the unofficial 2017 reissue and it actually sounds good but would love a proper reissue complete with flipback sleeve. The sleeve is more important than the music. :frog:

I would also like to add another Lansdowne classic to the ”please reissue” list: Stan Tracey’s ”Jazz Suite (Under Milk Wood)”.

caravan70, Tuck1977, Hulloder and 2 others like this.
  23. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

That's a good question about those albums being "jazzy" enough. Still Blossom has had somewhat of a resurgence with her music being featured in the "Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" TV series and her debut Verve album had a well-received pressing from Vinyl Me Please, so perhaps it could happen... I have the Japanese reissue of "That Just The Way..." but I'd buy a box with all four! I wish I knew more about this time in Blossom's life and career: did she live in the UK during those years? Or did she just record her albums there?

24. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Not familiar with any of these titles but just another jazz rabbit hole to go down

25. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

The Blossom Dearies used to be dirt cheap when you came across them, though they weren't particularly common, I'm trying to remember if I have all of the Fontanas, I'm guilty of boxing them up when I needed shelf space.:hide:

caravan70 likes this.