DECCA reissues British Jazz on vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RiRiIII, Jun 1, 2021.

1. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

What you say about Gearbox and mastering I find so true … perhaps we need a Gearbox thread or to at least acknowledge the great work they are doing a little more often as after all here so often it’s the mastering and vinyl production that makes any single release stand out … not forgetting the music of course

Aleksander86, Dai and mr.dave like this.
  2. Dai

Dai Note to self: listen to Clifford Brown more often

Not sure a thread dedicated to Gearbox would endure. This thread seems to work for all things British. No one seems to mind us diverting from the Decca 'explosion'! :laugh:

3. Dai

Another interesting side to Gearbox is their direct-to-disc stuff. I have their Butcher Brown LP, which sounded superb, but has been on loan to a friend for months.

davidpoole likes this.
  4. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Added to one of my many lists to sample/stream!

5. haynk

haynk Forum Resident

a little off topic but given all the gearbox records discussion up-thread... i just sourced a copy cherry jam, a 1965 recording of a danish radio performance by don cherry. in every way, an outstanding pressing from the original tapes -- very high quality. treat yourself and track down a copy.

rsd release: Don Cherry - Cherry Jam

japanese release: Don Cherry - Cherry Jam

Last edited: May 13, 2022
  6. mr.dave

mr.dave Forum Resident

I am aware that I am repeating myself but: I never could have imagined how much fun I'd have with that Tubby Hayes Boxset! Presentation aside, it just clicked with the music. Totally into it, now, and with it sounding so great it's just a joy to listen to it.

I don't know what it is, but I was streaming Hayes a couple of months ago when I was considering buying the set. But I always thought I shouldn't as I wasn't all that convinced about it. That changed. Just happy I did. Saturday morning, Tea and Tubby Hayes really reload the batteries and really brings me into a good, swinging mood. Fantastic!

Last edited: May 21, 2022
  7. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

There's so much marvelous British contemporary jazz that evolved out of the 60s music scene.
    I am on a Mathew Halsall trip (literally) at present. You can hear the Ian Carr influence in there.
    I'm just astounded how much brilliant British jazz there is around. Much of it remains unknown to the world. Just as the Tubby Hayes of the jazz scene remained unknown for so long.
    In many ways, not a lot has changed since the 60s in that respect.
    I can thoroughly recommend Matt Halsall. It's totally captivating jazz of the very highest quality.

Munster, Hulloder, Arknine and 4 others like this.
  8. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Seems like a beautiful set. I was tempted when it would hover around $200 USD on Amazon. It was just a lot for a first dip and it was only appealing to me so much. I took a deep dive with the other 8-10 highly regarded British jazz AAA releases (Don Rendell, Decca, etc.) discussed here. They are certainly gems and I'm sure the Tubby box is just the same.

Thanks for sharing your great experience and outlook. Will still keep my eyes open. I have to be really aware of my buying right now, I still have my pre-order open on the AP Bill Evans Box. That's a big bite.

9. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Did you ever get another copy? Was it fixed? My copy has distortion on the right channel at least on Side 1 (didn't get to Side 2 yet) and I'm wondering if it's my deck or the pressing.

10. Balcanquhal

Balcanquhal Forum Resident

Just think, you could buy 4 Tubby boxes for the price of that box set and have spare change for all of the other AAA reissues discussed here. :winkgrin:

mikemoon likes this.
  11. Glennza

Glennza Londoner, lost in the back of beyond

Just living with it. Like you, I don't know if it's the record or my turntable.

dastinger likes this.
  12. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

The only thing I'm not sure about on mine is the bias. But I don't think it would create that kind of distortion.

I bought my copy on Amazon so I might ask for another one and check. If both are like this, I won't keep it. Love the album, but I might as well stream it.

Thanks!

13. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Good point, I did purchase all/most of those discussed and recommended here, at least 8 titles. I tried to stick with the AAA ones. As far as non-AAA, I have Dream Sequence and Ian Carr's Nucleus - Roots on my list as well.

Tubby just didn't hit me musically like those did. Honestly, I need to dive deeper. Also, the caliber of music in the Bill Evans box is pretty special (not saying others aren't). I'd rather it be 1/2 the price and 33 RPM though but that won't likely happen AAA for all titles. We will see some 33 RPMs at some point I would think.

I'm still dancing on the tight rope with this decision.

Petter Premberg likes this.
  14. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Have these been mentioned from the Death Is Not The End label? I just ordered vol 1 & 2 from Amazon.uk. Vol. 3 is about to be released.

I Had the Craziest Dream: Modern Jazz and Hard-Bop in Post War London, Vol. 1
    [​IMG]

I Had the Craziest Dream: Modern Jazz and Hard-Bop in Post War London, Vol. 2
    [​IMG]

I Had the Craziest Dream: Modern Jazz and Hard-Bop in Post War London, Vol. 3
    [​IMG]

mikemoon and Dubmart like this.
  15. Balcanquhal

These three releases are on Bandcamp too. (I Had the Craziest Dream: Modern Jazz and Hard-Bop in Post War London, Vol. 3, by Various Artists &c.)

These are composed of public domain material, mostly ill-fated Tempo.

They also did a compilation of versions of traditional songs which was mentioned in the Observer a few weeks ago. I think it must be the same sort of deal with that too. So they seem to have made it all free of charge there as a result.

16. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Interesting comps, appear to be public domain and leaning heavily on the Tempo catalogue and Caribbean artists at that, I might have gone for them on vinyl if priced cheaply, but only on CD and cassette.:confused:

17. Electric

I read somewhere that the three releases are loosely connected to an art exhibition at the Barbican about the art scene in London around the same time. I ordered the catalogue, too.
    Postwar Modern: New Art in Britain 1945-65 review – a magnificent history lesson

Dubmart likes this.
  18. Electric

Here's the blurb at the link:

The third volume in a survey of the modern jazz & hard-bop scenes that emerged in the new cultural melting pot of post war London, with recordings from the end of the 1940s through to the early 1960s.

Featuring representations from players whose roots lay in the East-End's jewish community alongside a wealth of talent of Caribbean and African descent playing and recording in post war London during this period.

Made in partnership with the Barbican to coincide with the exhibition Postwar Modern: New Art in Britain 1945-1965.

Dai likes this.
  19. Munster

Munster Forum Resident

This is a great thread. I keep returning to it and finding fascinating posts. Still waiting for news on the various re-releases that have been promised this year. I fear, though, that it may be another false dawn.

mr.dave likes this.
  20. Balcanquhal

Electric, haynk and Dai like this.
  21. Moray

Moray Forum Resident

22. Balcanquhal

I dearly hope that this means that some sort of announcement is imminent!

23. bruinuclafan

bruinuclafan Forum Resident

I am just spinning Space Walk, my first pickup from this series. I really like the music and it sounds great. Cool cover too. I’ll have to spin it a few times to get a better feel for the music but I’m happy with the purchase.

24. Dai

I think you'll like it even better the more you spin it.

mr.dave, bruinuclafan and Dubmart like this.
  25. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

whered you get it from? Havent seen these stocked in the US