Decent inexpensive turntables?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GoldenBoy, Mar 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater Thread Starter

Can anyone recommend to me a good turntable that costs no more, than say, $200? I finally going to add one back into my sysytem, but I son't want to get crazy over it you? I'm not really a vinyl man myself, but It would be nice to be able to play some of my old records again, as well as some new ones I purchased last year.

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

http://www.garage-a-records.com/

There's some decent turntables in there for under $200, basically your normal Techniques and Sony types, some modified too.

You can also hop over to www.jandr.com and look for some inexpensive turntables. Make sure you get something that's magnetic-pickup, simple with 33.3/45RPM.

Simple players. Nothing huge, but simple and will work well!

3. Andy

Andy New Member

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Good choice, actually Andy. Some Music Hall Turntables are actually "poo-man's Regas". They're very good, and sometimes around $200!

5. GoldenBoy

Thanks

Thanks folks, I'll check them out as soon as I can. :)

6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I do not purport to be a vinyl expert, but for $300, the Music Hall MMF-2.1 is well regarded for the price. For around $200, consider the Sony PS-LX350H manual turntable. I use one in my main system, and it serves me well. I am no vinyl hound, and I'm sure I could do better if I were to spend more, the 'LX350H is good for the money.

7. mazort

mazort New Member

Inexpensive turntables

The obvious choices are the Music Hall 'tables or the Rega P3. You probably couldn't go wrong with the entry Audio Note, either.

The 'table I listen to every day is a Linn LP-12, with an Ittok arm. I bought it used on ebay for $700. You really ought to consider that option. It's worth it and it will whomp anything close to that price.

BTW, you might find yourself listening to records more than you expect to with any of the above!

8. Andy

Andy New Member

Ya checked yet? The last time I needed a TT I didn't go to work for a week, nearly stopped eating, and my wife says I didn't bathe. I think she's exaggerating a little bit.

9. GoldenBoy

Andy,
    I have not yet checked, but I don't plan on losing too much sleep or bathing time over it either. ;) I just wan't something decent, but, like I said, I'm no vinyl hound so, you know, anything that'll sound like quality and not a fisher-price toy is fine with me.
    :)

10. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

For $100, you can order a Gemini XL-100 turntable which is professional quality and great sounding as well from northernlightfx.

11. GoldenBoy

Cool. I've always prefered pro-gear anyhow. I think you can get much better quality and performance for the price with pro-gear. This is why much of my gear is pro, although, admittedly, some of it is remnants of my home studio. How about the Numark TT1600? I see that at American Musical Supply for about US$10 more than the Gemini. Is that supposed to be any good?

:cool:

12. BradOlson

Numark stuff is great quality. We are Numark dealers and although their catalog isn't listed on our website go to www.northernlightfx.com and click on the "Contact" link and you will get our toll-free number and either Ben, Sam or Eric will help you order a Numark.

13. GoldenBoy

Cool. Thanks.

14. BradOlson

You're welcome. Now you know where to find pro audio for decent prices. If you need a mirror ball, a strobe light, DJ special effect lighting, hard to find songs on karaoke CD+G's (Mikey was looking for You're The One by the Vogues on karaoke CD+G and we were able to order the CD+G with that song on it), etc. we sell that stuff as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.