Deciding on a MC Cartridge, under $1500

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dangorange, Mar 21, 2023.

1. dangorange

dangorange Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am having some difficulty deciding on my next cartridge. I thought I had narrowed it down to a Hana ML and still may decide on that one, but figured I'd solicit advice from anyone who wishes to give any.

I currently have a Hana SH which was bought before I added an external phono preamp, now I would like to try a low output MC cart.

My local dealer sells the Hana ML, and I could trade in my current SH for a discount and have them install it, which is a plus. They installed my SH and I trust them to do a good job. When Hana announced the Umami Blue, it made me pause to wait for reviews but I have decided I do not want to spend $2500 on a cartridge. I'd rather keep it under $1500. The other day I ran across a lot of glowing reviews for the AT-ART9XA and XI and I happen to be able to get a nice discount on either of those, but would have to buy online.

During my research I considered:

Lyra Delos, but the wait it too long for my dealer and that one seems fussy to get right.
    Dynavector 20x2, people love it, but it sounds like the Hana ML may be more my style.
    Hana ML, probably the one I should buy, and ultimately would be the least expensive.
    The 2 Audio Technica's, particularly the XA which seems compelling based on what I've read.

Bottom line, they all seem like great cartridges. The only thing that I would prefer is that it not be overly bright and ideally more forgiving with surface noise etc. While I really like my Hana SH, I found that it is pretty unforgiving with that side of things. Thanks!

Boltman92124 likes this.
  2. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

We had a poll about a year ago on LOMC carts in that price range, and not surprisingly the Hana ML and ART9XI were near the top, they are both very popular choices, and both available with some good discounts, but the runaway winner in the poll was the Dynavector DV-20X2L ....The Big Moving Coil Cartridge Poll - $1000 to $1300

There was also the complimentary under $1000 poll ... The Big Moving Coil Cartridge Poll - Under $1000

Should probably do a new one, under $2000, but maybe leave that to someone else.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
  3. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

Another option you should consider is the AT-OC9XML. That cartridge is making a lot of listeners very happy and is a pretty screaming bargain for what it delivers. I heard one over at @FuzzyNightmares place recently and it strikes a really wonderful balance of tone, depth, and clarity. If you don't want to spend for an ART9 you may also consider the AT33Sa. That being said, I've never heard such realistic vocals, or depth of musical textures, as I have from the ART9XA I'm currently using.
    Admittedly, I am a fan of Audio Technica cartridges.

FuzzyNightmares likes this.
  4. gakerty

gakerty Forum Resident

"Admittedly, I am a fan of Audio Technica cartridges."

I will say the same thing for Benz. In that price range, the Benz Wood SL or SM is the ticket. It's a delightful cartridge that sits in the sweet spot on the Benz lineup. Beautiful natural timbre, a midrange that leans a bit on the rich side, with silky treble and a wide soundstage. I got a Benz Wood a few years back just immediately after a Lyra Delos (which is no slouch of course!) and have been in love with Benz since. I moved up the line to Benz Gullwing and LPS after that. For what it's worth, Benz measure well at nearly 40db of channel separation, which for a modern MC is superb, and approaches that of vintage MM and Soundsmith MI. I'm no longer using Benz, but they hold a soft spot in my heart.

5. FuzzyNightmares

FuzzyNightmares Forum Resident

And your gut won't drop out of your stomach when you send it flying across a record :hide:

6. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Zu-Denon 103R.

7. dangorange

The ART9XA is the one I'm leaning towards if I don't go for the Hana, did you install it yourself? I haven't installed one myself since I moved into slightly higher end gear, I'm always second guessing that I got it all calibrated correctly. Part of the reason I was thinking the Hana ML would be the next logical step up and my dealer would install for free.

8. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I'm the opposite. If the dealer installed it then I would always be second guessing that it is set up correctly. Trust but verify.

9. dangorange

Yes True! I always do check everything afterward. I think it's time I take care of these things myself, which opens up my choices. My local dealer only sells Hana and Dynavector.

10. dangorange

I've heard great things about them, seems like a little over my price range as I'm keeping a hardline under $1500.

11. C10

C10 eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we may die

Charisma audio denon 103 mod might be of interest too.

12. dangorange

I am a sucker for birdseye maple:) Never heard of this one before.

13. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Your preamp has the gain to support the XA, 70db. The only reason I sold mine was my preamp did not have enough gain.
    The ART9 XA competes very well with the Lyra Delos which I now own. The 9 series is pricier than it used to be but nothing under it's price point sounds better.

aunitedlemon likes this.
  14. dangorange

This is part of what has me thinking hard about that one. Plus, because of some teaching I've done, I get a discount from B&H Photo, they don't have a lot to choose from for cartridges, but they have the Audio Technica ones and it would be around 25% off.

aunitedlemon and kt66brooklyn like this.
  15. DJSpinner

DJSpinner Forum Resident

I would personally lean towards the AT, but this discount would make the decision a no-brainer.

Not mentioned here yet...I've always been curious to hear the ZYX Bloom 3. From what I've ready it has a very flat sound (no colorization), if that's a quality you're looking for.

B. Scarpia and lazycat57 like this.
  16. SCM

SCM Senior Member

I just so happen to know somebody that recently had VAS do a complete rebuild which included a Namiki/Microridge cantilever assembly on a wonderful ZYX Airy 3 and he never even opened it upon it`s return !
    For sale right around your price point too !
    :tiphat:

17. dangorange

I have never heard of that, for sale here?

18. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Not here, USAM ... ZYX R1000 Airy 3X/SB

You can also buy a new one for $1835 from 2-juki on ebay, though he is only listing the gold high output version right now.

B. Scarpia and dangorange like this.
  19. SCM

SCM Senior Member

I haven`t listed it yet here on SH...my avatar is actually a picture that Steve at VAS sent me when he was all done with it.
    You can see the distinct Namiki cantilever in the picture.
    PM me if interested :righton:

20. SCM

SCM Senior Member

Yep that`s mine :agree:

dangorange likes this.
  21. Hana ML should highly considered $1200

Mcginty2020 likes this.
  22. dangorange

I think it's ultimately between this and the ART9 XA. The Hana ML would be around $950 if I trade in my SH, I can get the ART9 XA for around $1100. I'm all for saving money for the right choice, if that means the Hana ML is the right choice for me. This is why I find it so difficult, so many good options all with compelling reasons to go their way.

missan likes this.
  23. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

Yes, I install my own cartridges, but my turntable has a removable headshell and I have to assume that makes things quite a bit easier. Both the Hana ML and the ART9 have threaded bodies so that simplifies installation a good bit.
    I think learning how to properly install, align, and otherwise setup a cartridge is a vital skill for anyone who plans to enjoy vinyl records for an extended length of time. It's really not that difficult. Get yourself some basic cartridge installation and alignment tools, set up a well lit workspace, and give yourself the time to approach it patiently. That being said, I'm not so sure I would want a $1k cartridge to be my first...
    Yeah! Lots of helpful folks around here if you have questions along the way.

24. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

You just missed the sale. It ended in January. Musical Surrounding had a 10% off discount on Hana products. I bought my SL because there just aren't many discounts. Your trade-up would have been $875 a couple of months ago. Can you audition the ML vs the SH? The M is supposed to be a big improvement. But it should be as it's considerable more expensive. I thought about the ML, but just didn't really want to spend the money. For that money, I could have bought another Benz-Micro Glider which I think is better. I got the Glider at a good price, but sadly the hours on it forced my hand, and Gliders weren't available for what I was willing to spend.

25. Paul_In_WA

Paul_In_WA Forum Resident

In the past month I've rolled through a bunch of cartridges at different price points but I haven't tried the Hana cartridges. The one I have liked the best so far is the AT-ART9XI. It is very transparent, uncolored, and balanced while still making everything sound better largely because of its great dynamics and the way it separates the components of the music and it is equally strong at the top and bottom. It does not have a lush midrange but all of the cartridges I've tried so far that do have that lush midrange color are lacking on the top end. I'm not saying there is anything lacking in the midrange just that it isn't adding color there. I don't think the ART9XI is "bright" but I can see why some might mistake its clarity and transparency across the spectrum for brightness. Anyhow, I have two tables and do A/B comparisons between cartridges and between vinyl and streaming and the ART9XI is my favorite so far. I liked it enough that I decided I needed to buy the ART9XA just to make sure I wouldn't like it better. The ART9XA comes in a day or two so if you wanted to check with me next week I should have some impressions of it by then.

james, Dax_Frost, recstar24 and 2 others like this.