Deciding on a MC Cartridge, under $1500

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dangorange, Mar 21, 2023.

1. gakerty

gakerty Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm not sure why my Shelter had a tracking issue, but let me stress that it was minor, and didn't really affect everyday playing. It was mostly on occasional very high level horns it would lose focus and almost distort. This didn't happen often, and I may be excessively anal. Part of me wants to put the Shelter back on and give it a spin. It was a fine cart that leaned just toward the rich side that I really enjoyed overall. All these lovely cartridges and not enough time!

2. dangorange

dangorange Forum Resident Thread Starter

My arm is the original Funk Firm FX5, I think it should work ok as it has a variable effective mass, but I'm not sure about the resonant frequency aspect.

I cannot seem to access the Conrad Hoffman software/protractors, maybe because I'm on a Mac?

3. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

As mentioned above, our friend here @Electric Warrior has probably the best protractor software as a web app at his Arc protractor generator site, that's what I use nowadays and recommend, it allows easy custom configurations. I think the Funk Firm arm has the same 222mm pivot to spindle distance as the Rega 9" arms, and my Micro Seiki 9", and Clearaudio, and many others. You'd have to decide which alignment type you want to use, not sure what angle they set the headshell at but think I saw it was specified with 15mm overhang, so I guess they use Stevenson. Doesn't mean you need to use Stevenson, many of us prefer Baerwald, as long as the cartridge slots are long enough to set the overhang with your chosen cartridge, you can use any alignment.

AvFan and Kyhl like this.
  4. dangorange

Yes, I generated a protractor from his site last night and was scaling it in photoshop this morning to get it right before printing. I used the 222mm measurement and in the past have used the Stevenson to check overhang. Thanks!

5. Davey

Normally you would just print it out without adjusting the printer scaling, and then measure the reference lines on the printout, and finally adjust the printer scaling (if needed) to get the reference measurement accurate.

6. dangorange

When I generate the protractor it opens in a new window but with no download available. So I just took a screen shot, that's why I needed to use photoshop, is there a way to actually download the file?

7. Davey

Normally you would just print it out from the website, but you could also just print it to a PDF file if you don't have a printer connected and wanted to print it from another computer, or something like that, not sure your goal.

8. dangorange

Ah yes, that makes sense. I always print off files from my desktop, so forgot I can just print from the web:)

Davey likes this.
  9. Paul_In_WA

Paul_In_WA Forum Resident

I have about 3 hours of listening in on the ART9XA so my impressions are still evolving and I haven't directly compared it to the ART9XI, but you are right that they are very different listening experiences. The ART9XA is very euphonic. In a lot of ways the difference between the ART9XA and the ART9XI reminds me of the difference between a good SET amp and a good solid state amp. Both cartridges sound awesome but in different ways.

aunitedlemon likes this.
  10. dangorange

Curious, is there a break in period to consider as well for the XA?

avanti1960 likes this.
  11. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

yes. i have my hours logged. 25 to 30 hours to reach near maturity, 50 to 100 for the signature sound.

dangorange likes this.
  12. B. Scarpia

B. Scarpia WatchingYouWatchingMe

Finally, some love for ZYX cartridges. I took a chance on a Bloom from Sorasound a few years ago and love it. Had it re-tipped by Soundsmith recently with Boron cantilever and Contact Line which made it even better. That Airy would be a catch.

SCM likes this.
  13. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

Like @avanti1960 mentioned, these ART9 cartridges definitely mature w/ time. I suggest a minimum of 20 hrs. of play time before getting too critical.

14. Paul_In_WA

The cartridge already evolved a bit over the three hours with the bass improving so I'm sure there will be further changes for the first 20-30 hours. Hopefully any changes past that point will be small. After all cartridges are only good for a 1000 hours so spending 10% of that on burnin seems wrong.

aunitedlemon likes this.
  15. dangorange

Interested in hearing your thoughts on the comparison. I feel like I’m leaning toward the XI now, unless I go for the Hana ML, I feel pulled in many directions!

16. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I’ve heard the Hana ML as well as the Ortofon Quintet Black S.

I just put a Grado Reference3 on my Technics SL-1210G (low output MI, not MC) and it’s absolutely stunning.

Don’t limit yourself to MC, there are other options.

I prefer the Grado to either. When it’s replacement time, you get 33% credit towards the replacement as opposed to the usual 20%.

thegage and Icethorn like this.
  17. avanti1960

Many reports out there that the ART9 series are an upgrade from the ML. Unless your phono preamp has noise issues at 70db gain the XA would work very well. Your preamp is excellent and should be up to the task. I loved the sound of mine and if I had that gain I would still have the cartridge. A touch more transparent and colorful than the XI.

18. dangorange

One thing I'm wondering about with the XA now is the compliance looks to be 10 while the XI is 15. My tone arm has an effective mass from 14-19g. Would the lower compliance of the ART9XA be an issue for my arm? From a resonance standpoint?

19. Davey

Either would work fine, though the XI resonance will be on the low end, maybe around 6Hz with your weight moved back for least effective mass. Some of the modern AT carts seem to have the apparent 10Hz compliance pretty close to what they spec for static compliance, or even above, so hard to trust the values. Also most tonearm effective mass numbers aren't very accurate either since they often don't account for the counterweight position when a cartridge is installed, so the real effective mass is usually about 2g higher than specified. Check link below for some actual tonearm resonance tests using the ~12g Technics 1200GR tonearm...

The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

dangorange likes this.
  20. avanti1960

The XA seems to be a better match for your tonearm, which has variable mass. use the lowest setting and the XA will give you ~ 8.4Hz according to the Audio Technica 1.6 compliance multiplier for 10Hz.
    For the same settings the XI is 6.8Hz which is lower than I have ever tried.

21. dangorange

Ok I think I will go for the XA then, This makes me feel better:) in terms of tone arm mass, since mine has a secondary sliding collar in the middle of the arm, sliding that more toward the rear lowers the effective mass right?

avanti1960 likes this.
  22. nutsfortubes

nutsfortubes They tried to kill us, and we won!

23. Paul_In_WA

I used the HiFi News Test Record to measure the resonance of the ART9XA on my Technics SL 1210GR last night. It came in at 9 Hz +- 1 Hz. That isn't materially different from the result I got with the ART9XI. The effective mass of the Technics is widely assumed to be 12 grams. You tone arm is a little heavier so it ought to be even better suited to the ART9XA. I wouldn't let that be a major factor in choosing your cartridge. Both cartridges sound amazing but I still haven't done an A/B comparison to establish a preference. I want to get some more hours on the XA but boy does it sound good.

avanti1960 and dangorange like this.
  24. dangorange

Just placed an order for the ART9XA, wish me luck. Appreciate all of the response, it's been super helpful!

avanti1960, aunitedlemon and AvFan like this.
  25. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

Your ears are in for a treat! Are you planning to install and align it yourself too?