Deciding whether to keep my KEF LS50 Metas

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dennis1077, Feb 3, 2022.

1. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

I never used the USB either. The 6000 series has a more refined and dynamic sound. I actually liked it better for redbook CD playback than the 8000 series player, which I also had. I used the 8000 exclusively for SACD playback.

2. Leao

Leao Forum Resident

”The general consensus is to spend the most on the turntable (the source), followed by the amplifer (processing the signal) and lastly the speakers.”
    I think you have this completely wrong based on my audio experience. I would reverse the spending order of priorities. It is certainly not any generally accepted consensus that I am aware of.

Francois1968, hman, bever70 and 5 others like this.
  3. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I have spent the most on speakers and would do it the same every time.

4. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident Thread Starter

The "high frequency level control" is intriguing. At 4ohm they seem even more power hungry than my LS50s.

5. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

Isn't that what volume knobs are for? :p
    In all seriousness I'd like to add that my L82's are incredibly composed at all volume levels. From late-night "don't wake the kids" levels to "I love it when I have the house to myself!" moments. I've been really impressed with how they just consistently deliver.

dennis1077 likes this.
  6. dennis1077

As an apartment dweller, I value a speaker that sounds good at "don't wake the kid levels"

7. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

YUP !

And save a ton of money for other expenditures.

bever70 and dennis1077 like this.
  8. dennis1077

Honestly, for the price of the LS50S/stands, I could buy a VPI RCM and a new guitar and STILL have a few hundred dollars left over.

I guess that's my struggle. If these were $1000 speakers, keeping them would be no brainer but I shelled out over 2 grand for that setup.

9. Bryan T

Bryan T Forum Resident

Just return them already.

bever70, JakeMcD, cut-out and 5 others like this.
  10. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Send them back. Upgrade in other areas. Buy an RCM. And last but certainly not least, take your girlfriend out for a fantastic meal! Done!

11. EastConcept

EastConcept Forum Resident

If they were the right speakers for you then you wouldn't be dithering. It reminds me of liking a girl but you're only into her some of the time. Ultimately it just becomes a toxic relationship, you spend some of your time wishing she was someone else and she ends up being pissed off at you for sending mixed messages and being ambivalent. Ultimately you want to find that girl you're totally into and committed to.

If you try other speakers and find yourself desiring the Meta's again later down the line (probably unlikely) then maybe it would be a good opportunity to source a pair on the used market. At least then you already know what they're all about and can bag a pair at a cheaper price.

33na3rd and bever70 like this.
  12. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

The LS50 is a very revealing speaker for its size/price range, sounds like they are not a good match to your amplifier, return them and if you find you miss them buy them again.

Good luck any road.:)

Echoes Myron likes this.
  13. Tawaun A Williams

Tawaun A Williams Forum Resident

I'd say since you like the Diamond 225 so much get the Diamond 12.2 a killer speaker at a killer price and a upgrade in resolution from the 225 while still retaining the warmth. Or the Polk Reserve 200 for a enormous soundstage with all of the 12.2s attributes....or and even better the Dynaudio Emit 20....all of them are cheaper than the Metas...and sound much bigger than them...

14. styler

styler Senior Member

loved my ls50s, regret selling them. the new little KEFs sub woulda been great with them.

Echoes Myron and dennis1077 like this.
  15. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

You will be much happier with the Blue, it is a nice sounding nude elliptical stylus. The stylus/cart is detailed but not overly so and the 2M body gives a "fullness" to the sound profile.

It's not really worth doing upgrades to CD players. You don't really get the benefits until you move up to the real expensive units.

Better and more cost effective is to use your CD as a transport into a decent outboard DAC, then onto your integrated or receiver. I run all of my digital sources into the DAC in my Peachtree integrated. Don't throw dollars at more expensive CD players, put that money into a DAC or other areas of your system.

bever70 and dennis1077 like this.
  16. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

It's great that you found 2 pairs of speakers that you enjoy! It's not about the price so much as it's about enjoying them. However if you curious about chasing a higher quality of sound, there are speakers that are worlds better and more revealing that the 2 pairs you enjoy. Just because your first $1600 speakers didn't best them, doesn't mean you should necessarily stay with the speakers you already enjoy. Typically in this level of system building you want to put the largest investment into the speakers. I'd encourage you to consider used because you can get so much more of a speaker for the same price. Look up used $2,000 speakers. It's quite a jump from the LS50's...at least in terms of original MSRP.

17. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

With your speakers I doubt you would hear much if any difference moving up in CD players. You need more revealing speakers to appreciate small changes like that. You have large gains to be made in other areas (cartridge and speakers) before changing CD players. Even a mediocre CD player still sounds pretty good.

SandAndGlass, bever70 and mds like this.
  18. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It isn't a general consensus but it was put forward many years ago by certain manufacturers. I have found it to work very well provided you don't drop below a certain level of speaker or have an amp speaker mismatch. These days there are so many good sounding affordable speakers that scale up. Often with expensive speakers you are paying for the cabinet finish and the badge. Certainly £1K speakers with a £5K amp and front end can work great and will likely sound better than a £1K front end and amp into £5K speakers. So many examples on this forum were £1-2K speakers are preferred to £5K speakers. Price is not directly related to quality or the sort of sound that works for you or your room as far as speakers are concerned. It's easiest to 'upgrade' your speaker later once everything else is optimal. A more revealing speaker will magnify flaws present up the chain. Maybe a more revealing speaker should not be the aim in any case but rather a more musical and listenable model.

19. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

You have just described what I was trying to say but in a much better fashion.

The thread starter clearly has a problem with the room he is listening in, rather than with the equipment he is using and has acknowledged as much now.

I was trying to steer him away from spending more on speakers which wouldn't help him one bit. As he said one speaker was a couple of inches away the wall while the other speaker was a couple of feet.

JG

Ps: thankfully your response to my answer wasn't as arrogant or aggressive as another poster.

JG

Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
  20. dennis1077

I'm afraid I'll be home in the "regret selling them" club.

21. dennis1077

I've had my CD player for a solid 11 years now. Occasionally it struggles to read a disc. I'll likely hold off a CD upgrade until the laser outright fails.

I'm looking forward to the Blue upgrade. One of the touted attributes of the LS50s is the ability to reveal detail in the music. I can't help but wonder how a nude elliptical stylus would enhance the qualities I enjoy with the KEFs.

22. mds

mds Forum Resident

I have not compared self powered vs. non but the self powered has plenty of bass for my taste and its ability to play without any other components other than a streaming service or network connection is amazing. With a sub attached there is enough bass for the average person. I currently have them set up in a very large room 18 feet by 25 feet but am sitting 8 feet from them and I am enjoying their sound and do not feel they are overwhelmed or under powered for the size of the room. I have listened to them from a far corner and they sound good for background music, not the same as when I am plunked down in front of them.

23. mds

mds Forum Resident

CD player just needs a little maintenance after all those years. Cleaning and maybe a new belt that is it.

dennis1077 likes this.
  24. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

A buddy of mine (who is a legit) once said get the source right and the speakers right (DAC would be included as part of source for digital). Make sure everything in between doesn’t mess it all up. :shrug:

Now that’s oversimplified of course. My opinion is synergy matters most

James Glennon likes this.
  25. smrex13

smrex13 Well-Known Member

If you return the LS50s and try other speakers, there is no law against buying another pair of LS50s down the road. If you hear a few other speakers and none of them live up to your memory of the LS50s, then you can buy another pair without that nagging sense that you're missing out on something.