Decware Tiny Radial

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DyersEve726, Jul 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. james

james Summon The Queen

Damn, that sucks.

ive been thinking about a pair of those powered Klipsch speakers for my desk. Have you looked at those?

2. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy Thread Starter

I really didn't need these at all. It was an impulse buy after watching the build thread for a while and hearing him talk about them. I'll just go back to the Infinity towers, even though they don't fit my space. They sound good, even crammed in the corners as they are. Oh well.

james likes this.
  3. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

I bought a pair of these for my wife to use throughout the day. She actually loves them, but for me it’s a bit of a mixed bag depending on the music they’re playing. They can sound very impressive for their size on one track and then quite disappointing on the next. I didn’t go in with huge expectations...I was moreso just curious and I knew my wife wanted something to play a bit of background music on that was small and not ugly.

The positioning of the speakers and the listening seat really, really impacts their sound. I got by far the best results with them about 2 ft apart and 5 or 6 inches from the rear wall, with a seating position about 5 ft in front and my ears well above the top of the speakers. On most tracks this produced a soundstage about 2-3x as large as the 2 ft spacing with oddly satisfying bass. Maybe there was some room interaction improving things in my case.

I think in my “ideal” position they eventually averaged out as just ok after I got past the initial handful of tracks that impressed me. But after the wife put them where she wanted them, they just sound like garbage. Small, boxy and dull. But hey they work for her and they look nice on a shelf.

timind and DyersEve726 like this.
  4. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

That looks like just the thing for my desk at work, where dual monitors eliminate possibilities for direct-radiating speakers. Omnis would be just the ticket. I'll have to keep an eye open for when the kits become available again.

5. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy Thread Starter

This was my exact impression, but more just parts of songs, not even the whole song. However, I only gave them a few hours before I decided they weren't worth any further experimenting on positioning. A man can only take so much when good sounding speakers are just right there, lol. I didn't expect anything earth shattering or crazy bass or anything, but I did expect them to sound decent in their designed application (near field) for the price. The complete lack of sparkle on the high end is a deal breaker. Vocals sound like they're being sung into a tin can.

6. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

I was unimpressed by those Tiny Radials in the video demonstrations and I couldn't hear what everybody was fussing over, so just being polite I kept my mouth shut.

At one time, I had the bigger radials called the ERR (different league altogether obviously), but unless you gave them a lot of space they were only OK sounding IMO ~ they needed at least 5 feet off the back wall, 5 feet of the side walls and 10 feet apart (so basically sitting in the middle of your living room). If you had the space they sounded really good with some recordings though, that said I much preferred the pin point imaging of my Omega's over radial sound/imaging.

inperson likes this.
  7. Melvin

Melvin Forum Resident

OP, I hope you don’t mind the thread resurrection. Despite the negative report I took a chance anyway and ordered a pair in Sapele thinking they might be a good fit for my small dining room (11.5” x 13”). I spend a good deal of time in this room as it doubles as a work space and often I just want a bit of background music. I also happen to like omni’s and my space is limited.

The system:

Bluesound Node 2 > APPJ PA0901A > Tiny Radials > Ohm MicroSub 10

The amp is a 3.5 wpc miniscule “integrated” with upgraded tubes. (For reference, the TubeCube 7 is a re-badged APPJ PA0901A.) I’ve had the amp for a couple of years now and thought it might be a good fit with the TR’s. I’ve only had the speakers for a week and didn’t listen to them for long without the sub in place. These speakers need a sub to be even remotely acceptable for me. Break-in is said to be somewhere near 40 hrs I believe and I’m probably a third of the way there. I must say they sounded awful at first but they’ve improved quite a bit already, thankfully.

While the final verdict is still out, I’m encouraged at this point.

8. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

You need help man HELP!
    And these speakers may be the medicine you need:)

bloodlemons likes this.
  9. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I watched his video with headphones and they sound like what they are.. tiny. Place most any cheap monitor in their price range next to them and watch the destruction. They kinda look cool .

10. Melvin

Melvin Forum Resident

Not only cool but really nice looking in person :).

Your comment "I watched his video with headphones" is interesting to me and I've read a fair number of forum posts along these lines over the years, not only with speakers but also amps, pre's, DAC's, and streamers. There's just too much of a disconnect to be meaningful to me (written reviews/evaluations are somewhat the same IMO).

FWIW I have other speakers in storage I could have used in this space but aesthetics are a factor. Also, I'm not using the TR's the way they're intended. I knew that going in and took a chance nonetheless. I may or may not regret the cash layout but I've certainly spent much more on disappointing components-of-the-month.

Manimal likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.