Decware Zen Triode amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by David Sonnier, May 14, 2021.

1. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

And yet I believe such a comparison using some very high efficiency speakers over 100dB sensitivity would be interesting indeed, and there may very likely be those who prefer the lower cost amp.

2. JasperYYJ

JasperYYJ Forum Resident

Totally agree! The Gryphon apparently has 1,800 Watts per channel. The Decware has 2. Indeed, it would be fascinating to hear a shootout between the two (or really between the Gryphon and any other well executed low wattage SET) with a speaker in the 100DB efficiency range. Though of course that seems like it would defeat the purpose of a 1,800 watt amp as the intention there must be to drive a different kind of speaker… and of course if you ask the Decware to step into the ring with any other decent higher watt amp with 82 DB speakers it would not be pretty at alll… but at 100DB I too feel like it would be way closer than the prices suggest and I’d love to witness it happen lol.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2023
    beowulf, Otlset and bloodlemons like this.
  3. brubacca

brubacca Forum Resident

Its just about my anniversary on the Decware amp list! Moved 671 spots! Put that in perspective. 2051 on the list now. I'm.not complaining but those are the numbers.

4. RobCos02330

RobCos02330 Forum Resident

I put in an order two days ago. Maybe I’ll turn 60 in style come 2025. And maybe not. :laugh:

beowulf and SandAndGlass like this.
  5. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Ordered mine 15 months ago. Looks like I've got at least another three to four.

JohnK

beowulf likes this.
  6. Leao

Leao Forum Resident

Recently unpacked a Decware SE84 CKC which had been stored away unused since I purchased it seven years ago. Set it up with a pair of Omega CAM speakers also unused since I bought them five years ago. Source is a Technics 1500C amplified by a Darlington Labs MP 7. The result is astonishingly beautiful music!

7. JasperYYJ

JasperYYJ Forum Resident

The big day is getting closer... my order has been removed from the waiting list and a tracking number has been issued which indicates the amp has just cleared US/CAN customs and should arrive tomorrow (Tuesday)! I wonder if the Customs officer processing the clearance was aware of the illusive greatness they held in their hands and how long the recipient has been waiting to fire it up! Now the question... which album to play for the first listen...

Earthbound2, Lonson, fish and 3 others like this.
  8. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I would really be curious how it works with your Cornwall II's. Your other gear is certainly up to snuff and you have a proper size room for the Cornwall's to propagate in.

9. JasperYYJ

JasperYYJ Forum Resident

The amp has been received! I repeat, the amp has been received!

[​IMG]

10. JasperYYJ

JasperYYJ Forum Resident

11. Trag

Trag Forum Resident

Any idea how much heat these things throw? Any reason they shouldn't be in a ventilated cabinet?

12. JasperYYJ

JasperYYJ Forum Resident

I’ll let you know this evening!… It’s killing me but have to wait to fire it up until after the kids are in bed! I want to savour this!

Oddiofyl and Trag like this.
  13. Leao

Leao Forum Resident

Enjoy! I think you will be amazed by your new amp’s tone and dynamics.

14. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Nice to see they are finally using better tube sockets.

15. seikosha

seikosha Forum Resident

What were they previously using? I’ve got an amp from them that is at least ten years old using the same sockets.

gingerly and beowulf like this.
  16. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

Enjoy the lovely sound of the amp. It maybe harsh at first, so you'll have to burn it in, but be patient. The amp will bloom.

I saw your profile and saw you listed soul as one of the music styles you listen to. I highly recommend some Otis Redding...if you're into that. I'm listening to some of that right now through my SE34I.4. It's a great listen.

17. tubesandvinyl

Weren’t they using very budget, vintage looking sockets? Seems like they are using Teflon now? Or maybe the white sockets are ceramic?

18. JasperYYJ

JasperYYJ Forum Resident

Well my jaw is thoroughly on the floor this evening… the sound is even better than I remember it! Notes hanging in the air… so much emotion in the sound from the Zen Triode driving the Cornwalls. Closing my eyes
    it’s easy to convince myself I’m listening to Neil Young perform live in my living room!

19. seikosha

seikosha Forum Resident

They’ve been using ceramic for as long as I can remember. I never knew they used anything else.

beowulf likes this.
  20. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

Enjoy ! Nothing more fun than a new music machine...

Earthbound2 likes this.
  21. JasperYYJ

JasperYYJ Forum Resident

Update 2: Oh. My. God. I just can’t wipe the big fat grin that appears every time I fire the Zen Triode up for a listening session. There’s no better way to describe it… it’s just a massive grin and pleasure inducing experience. It’s incredible how much passion and soul is being extracted from the Cornwalls, I had no idea they could reach this level!

Lonson, riknbkr330, Leao and 5 others like this.
  22. SandAndGlass

It's interesting how one can be involved with audio for many years and know just about every aspect of audio.

Then something comes along and changes your entire perspective!

23. tubesandvinyl

That happened to me in the late 90’s.

Had a bryston 4B driving my Klipschorns. Used a tube phono preamp for my LP12 with Ittok arm and AQ mc cartridge.

I thought how can my system possibly sound ant better?

Then someone suggested I try all tube. So I bought a 1965 Sherwood receiver. Disconnected the Bryston and tube phono pre.

My jaw dropped. I was staggered by the sound. For the first time, I heard layers to the sound, depth of sound stage, air etc. That was it for me.

I couldn’t sell the bryston fast enough. The Sherwood launched my 25 year journey will all tube gear.

beowulf and SandAndGlass like this.
  24. SandAndGlass

It's amazing how good that old 60's tube stuff sounds. Most of it wasn't anything special, just run of the mill gear at the time.

I ran my Altec's from 1971 - 2013 before using tubes with them. I did the SS thing for 4-decades before my enlightenment!

tubesandvinyl likes this.
  25. Earthbound2

Earthbound2 Forum Resident

Great to hear JasperYYJ! My buddy has a Decware amp and phono preamp with some Zu Soul Supremes and it’s wonderful. I’ve been on the list for a year and it looks like another one to go. I bought hand made elsewhere and am enjoying it very much. I will probably buy the csp3 and use it as my headphone system.