Decware ZP3

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Lonson, Nov 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Yesterday I got a shipping notice for my Decware ZP3 phono preamp. . . waited three months afer ordering. I'm expecting this to be an excellent component based on both user reviews and my experience with Decware products.

It will be replacing a PS Audio GCPH with which I have been extremely happy. Just wanted to have the Decware as I love my speakers, preamps and amplifiers from this manufacturer.

Any users of the ZP3 here want to weigh in with any listening experience, tips, etc. Jeff (Tone Pub). . . I saw that you received one recently. Do you plan a magazine review? Any impressions to share?

2. ncblue

ncblue Well-Known Member

Would love to hear impressions too Lonson. I love the phonostage in my Modwright LS-100, but always willing to try one of the Decware products.

3. Lonson

Well, I'll certainly talk about my unit when it's here. Hope others have some experience to share.

4. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

That is one beautiful looking phono pre. Gotta love the glow of big tubes. Enjoy !

5. Lonson

Yes, it's beautiful. I'm sure it's going to sound great.

6. Lonson

Several months in, I LOVE my Decware ZP3.

SandAndGlass and IanL like this.
  7. Lonson

Four months later and I love it even more!

IanL and jupiterboy like this.
  8. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

I dunno, seems like a lot for a homebrew phono-pre. Just kidding. I was pretty close to ordering one of these myself before I settled on the Rogue Triton. Glad you're finding time to enjoy it, Lonson. Still waiting for the tone pub review. Should be a good read.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  9. Lonson

I'm looking forward to that too, to hear how it fits in with other preamps.

I stayed up too late last night listening. . . lps from Billie Holiday, Louis Armstrong, John Surnam, Jimi Hendrix and Beethoven by Bernstein. Best listening I've had all week.

I've not heard the Rogue. This century I've heard phono stages in Marantz and B&O receivers, and stand-alone stages from Hafler and PS Audio. The PS Audio is good, it is much like the Decware in some ways, but it doesn't have the Decware 3D magic!

10. Lonson

Loving my ZP3 even more as it has seasoned so well. When will a Tone Audio review ever come out! Did I miss it?

beowulf and sberger like this.
  11. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Been waiting forever and a day for that ... I don't think it's coming :shake:

12. Ilovefooty

Ilovefooty Forum Resident

Hey @Lonson, how is the ZP3 treating you? I'm thinking about getting one.

13. Roger C

Roger C Near Kalamazoo Michigan

I love mine going on three years.

Ilovefooty likes this.
  14. Lonson

I've had mine four years and love it! I can't think of replacing it, it makes my records sing!

Ilovefooty likes this.
  15. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

People with ZP3s should not be allowed to brag about it until I get one!

beowulf likes this.
  16. Lonson

Well. . . you better hurry up! ;)

17. Kevin O'Leary

Kevin O'Leary Active Member

I ordered one 2 months ago and can't wait. I should be getting mine soon I hope.

Lonson likes this.
  18. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

I love mine. I've had it since April. BUT I'd say that it is picky about physical placement because the transformers will bleed their hum into other equipment. The cable jacks are right behind the transformer on my ZP3, and I'm considering right angle jacks to get the cords farther away from the transformer. I have a small listening room and only a small space for my equipment, thus I do live with some 60 cycle hum from the ZP3. Just something to keep in consideration as you choose.

SandAndGlass and IanL like this.
  19. Kevin O'Leary

Just received a email stating it was on the bench for quality control. I will get it soon. Man I hope it is good as they say.m

20. Lonson

Great news Kevin! Though mine showed quality from the start it really came into its own after about a month of use. Be a bit patient as it "breaks in." But I think you will love it.

21. Kevin O'Leary

I can't wait. I asked Steve about break in time and said it will sound great out of the box but after 200 hrs. It will really open and continue to get better. I am really looking forward to hearing it.

beowulf and IanL like this.
  22. Kevin Dunn

Kevin Dunn Active Member

How is the Zp3 working out? I have been really curious for a long time

23. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Anyone ever compare to an EAR834P?

24. Kevin O'Leary

It's working out great. I am very happy with it. It sounds amazing. I've been working a lot and haven't had much time the last few months and it still needs some time on it. I highly recommend it.

25. triple

triple Senior Member

You nailed it. Or was it Steve Deckert? Either way, I really like the way this was coined - sounds great out of the box, but no sooner than 200 hrs of playing time later. Talk about bridging the gap... This should satisfy both sides of the fence (audiophiles and the hearing impaired) :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.