Decware's news & developments

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by beowulf, Apr 22, 2015.

1. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey guys, Steve and the Decware gang have been burning the midnight oil and I know we have some fans here and I thought you might like to hear about some really cool gear currently offered and also in development stages by Steve Deckert and gang.

First off, and already to go is the UFO mod:

What is a UFO transformer? UFO stands for Ultra Fidelity Output which is simply a wider bandwidth and better sounding transformer with even flatter frequency response. They are the same physical size as the originals except that the winding now completely fills the core window.

These transformers feature a lamination that is half as thick as the original so there are twice as many to create a core that is more efficient with less saturation. In addition, the copper windings feature considerably more paper interleaving and more precision in how their made. These two things are what make possible 3 times the bandwidth of the original Zen Triode transformers. Also improved were the lead wires. We doubled the thickness of the wire, changed from copper to silver, and use a Teflon insulator and now run the leads from the bottom rather than the top of the bobbin.

We will be offering the UFO mod to existing Zen Triode Amps built back to 001 in 1996. Cost of the upgrade will be $300 parts and labor and take between a week and ten days on average.

UFO transformers are hand made in the USA with USA wire, USA steel and USA labor.

* I imagine the UFO mod will eventually be availabe to all existing amps currently under production at Decware.

Second, is the Torii Junior which is scheduled to come out in July:

Presently you can buy our 2 watt amp for around $900 bucks, our 6 watt for around $1300 and then it jumps to 25 watts for around $3500 which is our Torii MKIV. As you can see pictured above I am just finishing the chassis design for a TORII JUNIOR that will be priced to fit nicely in that $1300 to $3500 gap. At 16 inches wide by 12 inches deep it will be the same size as our SE34I.4 amp and use the same wooden bases.

I will be using the original TORII circuit in this design, hence the name TORII JR. To get a TORII to fit into a smaller chassis like this, I will be building a single huge power supply instead of 2 smaller ones, and making the output stage ultra linear. This will eliminate one of the Voltage Regular Tubes that is used to regulate the screen on the output tube, since ultra linear uses part of the output transformer to accomplish this.

Also, it's important to note that this amp will be built with new DECWARE UFO transformers featuring a bandwidth of +/- 1.5dB between 10Hz and 100kHz. To achieve this bandwidth requires ultra precision winding with high interleaving and 3 times as many core laminations. This kind of precision is what gives the transformers such a stunning transparency, and that's the goal. The ultra wide bandwidth is simply a side effect of achieving that goal.

Power wise this zero-feedback amplifier should come in at a healthy 20 watts.

Third, is the Decware Preamp:

The preamp is going to be a balanced circuit using two CSP3 circuits, one for the push and one for the pull. So that's 3 dual triode tubes per channel. This way the signature of the preamp maintains the tried and true sonic merits of a CSP3. Think of it as a CSP3 on steroids.

There will likely be an option for wireless remote control of the volume. It will look better than any line level product we've ever made and fit into the shelves of any audio rack.

* I have heard that Steve has put a lot of hours into just the chassis design of this amp. And this should take the already stellar CSP3 to even better performance and flexibility. Trying to piece it together it looks as if there will (a) 4 line level inputs, (b) with a portion of those inputs being truly balanced (transformer) (c) a remote for volume, and (d) inside the best chassis Decware has ever made.

Fourth is the Decware 63CC Single Ended Triode Mono Blocks:

* These are still in the development stage and not a lot is known about them just yet other than they may need to be manually biased rather than the Decware self-biasing circuits that are the norm with his other amps. There is a photo of them floating around the Decware forums though and they look pretty cool with those huge tubes, not to mention they will be pretty powerful for SETs.

Fifth, is the Decware Zen CD player:

We have replaced our CD player with something even better! The DACs have been upgraded to Burr Brown and the tube output stage has been replaced with a fully adjustable transformer-coupled stage that has an adjustable output level to 7.5 volts. It's a genuine demonstration of what good imaging is all about! (Not to mention slam!)

In addition, you can...
    Download your favorite DLNA compatible server software for mac or pc, tell it what folders your music is in and the new ZCD240 will play your music so long as both machines are connected to your home network or wifi router. You even get a free app for your smartphone to access your music library from anywhere in your wifi area.

Being able to play all the popular file formats, such as Mp3, Flac Wav, and DSD both off the network or off the memory stick makes this player literally cover all the bases. You can even use it to stream live internet radio for absolutely free. Hi Res Stations like Linn Radio come to mind.

Sixth, there is the Zen Direct Stream Digital:

* There was already a thread posted in these forums on this item, so I won't go into it here. But reports have been very favorable.

Anyways, I thought you guys might like to see what's been going on in Steve's neck of the woods.

Text marked with these * are my own thoughts and not from Steve by the way.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  2. beowulf

Here's a preliminary design of the new Decware Preamp that Steve put out on the Decware forums recently:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see a lot of thought has gone into the design and it will be the nicest chassis design that Decware has ever developed. I love the way the tubes are integrated into the chassis and see this as being able to slide into a audio rack without much of an issue. I also think it will be easy to roll tubes this way as well and this will be a true balanced design.

Here is a pic of the 63CC SET mono blocks in development:
    [​IMG]

McLover, dnuggett and Rick58 like this.
  3. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

The preamp and modified TASCAM seem interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

o0OBillO0o and beowulf like this.
  4. inperson

inperson Senior Member

6c33c?:D

beowulf likes this.
  5. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I wonder how many of these tubes the Russians made? I might need to stock up. I only have 2 extra pair now and from what I read they don't last long when used a lot.

6. beowulf

He had an OTL with those tubes as well, but it was deemed too costly to put into production and from what I understand it could melt the paint off your walls in summer time ... definitely a winter time amp. :laugh:

The SET monos are way more tame, but they will require self-biasing adjustments rather than his normal auto-bias circuit that he employs on his other amps. These SETs with the 6C33C MiG fighter tubes are expected to be in the mid to high teens wattage wise. :agree:

7. inperson

inperson Senior Member

My Almarro 6c33c single ended amp is very, very hot but in a big room or basement it's okay for summertime use.

doak and beowulf like this.
  8. beowulf

OTL amps run hot as it is, but I bet those huge tubes add a few more degrees to Single Ended citcuits as well!

9. inperson

inperson Senior Member

And the two exposed bias checking points under the 6c33c's adds a bonus danger.

beowulf likes this.
  10. o0OBillO0o

o0OBillO0o Forum Resident

This is a game changer.

11. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

Which? And how? If you are talking about the TASCAM, is it the player/stream capability?

12. o0OBillO0o

Tascam Modded DA-3000 is a computerless, yet physical way to store, share and listen to 2XDSD and PCM.

Also that pre-amp looks like a dual mono design. I like it.

13. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Fantastic stuff...perhaps I missed it, but is there pricing available for these upcoming products?

14. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

I never actually caught that until now. Arrgh.. why only 32GB cards though?

15. o0OBillO0o

As far as I know its FAT32 and the storage size is only limited by the cards. Additionally, you can transfer to USB. What Am I missing?

16. beowulf

1. I think the UFO mod will increase the price of all his amps by $200 and it will cost $300 to retrofit an existing amp.

I'm pretty much speculating on the other items through deductive reasoning, so I can't be sure but ...

2. I would say that the Torii Junior and 6C33C SET Monos are speculated to come in between the cost of a Rachel and Torii (Senior :D) which is basically between $1,500 - $3,500. I know that's a pretty big hole to speculate pricing on, but I think he is developing new components to fill those gaps with more power and price choices.

3. The Preamp is going to be similar to two beefed up CSP3's within a pretty cool chassis design IMO. One CSP3 cost about $1,279 so I'm thinking it will be at least double the price of $1279 and then options such as transformer balanced in/outs, remote, etc. will be extra. If I had to toss out a number for the preamp I would say maybe starting in the mid to high 2K area. He will be using some pretty premium parts in them.

4. Zen CD Network Player = $1,295.

5. Zen Direct Stream Digital = $1,695.

Again, just speculating based on some feedback, but I'm not exactly sure what the final outcome will be. I will update this thread once I hear of some firm pricing. I believe (again don't quote me on this) that most of these products will be available to listen to at this year's Decfest 2015 (which is in October). One thing I know about Decware though is that the performance, build and parts quality vs. price represent really good value in our community for what you get.

riknbkr330 likes this.
  17. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Very much appreciate the detailed response.

Decware is such a great company and IMO an American treasure.

bhazen, SandAndGlass and beowulf like this.
  18. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

The largest volume that FAT32 can format is 32GB. For some odd reason Decware says USB up to 64GB only.

o0OBillO0o likes this.
  19. beowulf

So reports are coming back on the Decware forums from a guy who owns both a PS Audio Direct Stream and a Decware Zen Direct Stream Digital. The user has them setup so he can a/b immediately (without having to re-hook them up, etc.) and he has said that it is splitting hairs good in comparison and giving a nod to the ZDSD for weight and body (due to Steve's custom Analog output stage), while saying the PSA DS with Pike's Peak firmware offers a bit more detail, but doesn't have the weight and body of the ZDSD.

This is not the first person who has had both components in their system and has stated something similar. With one user reporting back that he preferred the ZDSD to both the PS Audio DS and also a Chord Chordette QuteHD DAC.

So considering that we're talking about a $1695 component that is comparing favorably sound wise to one that retails for $5999, but that also has additional features such as being able to record to DSD, etc. I believe the Decware ZDSD is turning out to be a really great product and again with an excellent performance to cost value ratio.

(ZDSD on right rack, PSA DS on left rack)
    [​IMG]

McLover and o0OBillO0o like this.
  20. beowulf

1. Decware's new Preamp taking shape nicely ... as already mentioned this will be the nicest chassis Decware has ever implemented within their product line.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Decware's 6c33c SET mono's seem to be coming along nicely as well. Steve said he figured out the bias situation and has the pair up and running in shop for some more testing. Overall he said that the sound like a giant Super Zen, which is actually really great news as the Super Zen is his most revered amp, but the 63CC will be more powerful and able to run more variety of speakers with a little extra headroom. These should also have the UFO transformers being utilized. He is awaiting some NOS EF86 tubes and said he will be doing some serious comparisons with those on board.

Last edited: May 4, 2015
    Roger C likes this.
  21. inperson

inperson Senior Member

What's the benefit of having such large cans?

22. beowulf

Do you mean the huge red caps on the ZMA? This was taken from the ZMA's copy ad on the Decware website:

The Mono-blocks are unique in that they have a massive power supply with caps so large it is possible to eliminate the choke and any dropping resistors feeding the output stage. Unless you see an amp with similar size caps, you can be certain that it has at least one if not both of these current limiting necessities. This is why the Mono's sound better than almost everything.

Well, on that note, the Mystery Amp explores this zen approach a little further by doubling the capacitor size and eliminating the dropping resistor that feeds the input stage. Instead a vacuum regulator tube was used to drop the voltage with no heat and 20 times the ripple rejection of the resistor it replaces. This was a personal goal of mine because it makes this the first tube amp power supply in the world that doesn't use a choke or any current robbing resistors to supply both the input and output stages of the amp. Consequently there is no heat or parts to fail. The real impressive part however is the liquidity and speed that results from eliminating these parts.

This is about as close to pure DC power as you'll ever get in a 500 volt amplifier. As a result, the Mystery Amp will have about 50 times the immunity to dirty power from your wall outlet.

Users have reported on the Decware forums that things such as Power Rengeneration have little to only subtle effects from the ZMA employing such huge caps. Some people have also stated that when they were a/b'ing power cables those huge caps are so charged up that you can actually unplug one cable and plug in another whilest the amp still plays music! :laugh:

Last edited: May 4, 2015
    inperson likes this.
  23. beowulf

Hey guys, check out the review of the Zen Mystery Amp in Tone Audio's latest publication. It starts on page 162 (or page 81 in the pdf version).

I think Jeff D. liked it quite a bit! :laugh:

JMAC likes this.
  24. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Just placed an order for the Torii Jr. Super stoked to get zenned out in 4-8 weeks!

25. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Awesome JMAC! This will be worth the wait.

JMAC likes this.