Deep Discount deep discounts*

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Marvin, May 9, 2016.

1. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

fwiw, i just got back from a 10 day trip and had a good amount of huge boxes waiting for me. one large order required signature and i didn't realize it so it was rerouted to a UPS store. i'm pleased to state that every item i ordered is accounted for. i'm bummed there wasn't an additional box of a dozen or so copies of something i didn't order, but whatever. i've got a mountain of stuff to pretend like i'm going to listen to.

interesting point is that the fella at the UPS store apparently scanned my packages as return to sender so now ebay shows they were never delivered to me. i wonder how that will work out with importcds.

imarcq, SJP, Juggsnelson and 3 others like this.
  2. DapperGentleman

DapperGentleman Forum Resident

Here are some LP's that I don't recall seeing, or at least don't recall discussing, from the Blowout Bin tonight. All are vinyl LP's. Be sure to check Walmart and Ebay and Popmarket for pricing as well.

PJ Harvey - White Chalk PJ Harvey White Chalk [LP] on DeepDiscount
    PJ Harvey - To Bring You My Love DEMOS: PJ Harvey To Bring You My Love - Demos on DeepDiscount

Miles Davis 2LP on Rhino - Merci Miles Miles Davis Merci, Miles! Live At Vienne on DeepDiscount

Chris Thile - Laysongs on Nonesuch Chris Thile Laysongs on DeepDiscount

Rory Gallagher - 2LP Best Of 2021 Rory Gallagher Best Of on DeepDiscount

World Party - Dumbing Away 2021 World Party Dumbing Up on DeepDiscount

Growing - Dyptych cool electronica Growing Diptych [Colored Vinyl] [Import] on DeepDiscount

Adrian Smith of Iron Maide and Richie Kotzen s/t Smith/Kotzen Smith/ kotzen on DeepDiscount

tUnE-yArDs 'Sketchy' 2021 tUnE-yArDs Sketchy. on DeepDiscount

Devonte Hynes of Blood Orange soundtrack 2LP 'We Are Who We Are' DEVONTE HYNES We Are Who We Are (Original Series Soundtrack) on DeepDiscount

Devin Townsend big 5LP Live set 'Empath' Devin Townsend Order Of Magnitude: Empath Live Volume 1 on DeepDiscount

Primal Scream - Live At Levitation 2021 on pink splatter Primal Scream Live At Levitation on DeepDiscount

Lindsey Buckingham s/t 2021 on Rhino Lindsey Buckingham Lindsey Buckingham on DeepDiscount

Emmylou Harris - Ramble In The City - Lost Concert 1990 Emmylou Harris Ramble In Music City: The Lost Concert (1990) on DeepDiscount

Martin Gore of Depeche Mode - Third Chimpanzee REMIXED Martin Gore The Third Chimpanzee Remixed (Limited Orange & Blue Vinyl) on DeepDiscount

Christian McBride Trio - Out Here 2LP Christian McBride Out Here on DeepDiscount

Lifesigns - Altitude modern prog 2LP Lifesigns Altitude (Ltd 180gm Vinyl) [Import] on DeepDiscount

Kings Of Convenience comeback album 'Peace Or Love' 2021 Kings of Convenience Peace Or Love [Import] on DeepDiscount

Flower Kings - Retropolis 2LP+CD remastered reissue The Flower Kings Retropolis (Re-issue 2022) on DeepDiscount

'Blinded By The Light' 2LP soundtrack - about half is Bruce Springsteen songs Various Blinded by the Light (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) on DeepDiscount

Last edited: Apr 28, 2023
    fluffskul, mur, riverrat and 12 others like this.
  3. srsch

srsch Senior Member

Deep Discounts via Walmart has some nice prices on Elvis Costello MOV titles.
    Spike 2 LP black vinyl, Mighty Like a Rose, All This Useless Beauty, Juliet Letters, Kojak Variety.

mur, Mike6565, latheofheaven and 3 others like this.
  4. throwupmyhands

throwupmyhands Forum Resident

I highly recommend that Kings of Convenience album. Wish I could have gotten it at that price!

latheofheaven likes this.
  5. Ex-Oligarch

Ex-Oligarch Forum Resident

6. RyanX

RyanX and get the priest as well

thanks for this, I have maybe 25% of these songs already but for another 3cds worth for $9.20 shipped it is still a great deal

mur, latheofheaven and samwisefan like this.
  7. liquifury

liquifury Forum Resident

The Devin Townsend Order of Magnitude 5LP live set is $46.37 on Walmart

8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The same EMI grabbag of songs that EMI put on at least 5217 other compilation box sets in the past 20 years. But there are some good songs outside the EMI umbrella here, too, for a change...

9. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

samwisefan and latheofheaven like this.
  10. Ex-Oligarch

Is the problem for you that the songs here aren't representative and a compelling listen, or that you've heard them too many times?
    If you want to go deeper, you probably shouldn't be buying this sort of comp in the first place, and you definitely shouldn't be buying a Now comp. Hence my recommendation for neophytes.
    I think the 90 songs are a pretty fair snapshot that might intrigue those unfortunate folks who missed them the first time around -- or, if you prefer, the first 5217 times around -- at a dirt cheap price.

Edit: What troll decided to include the Yellow Dog track?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2023
    samwisefan likes this.
  11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

My problem is that this EXACT SAME set of songs belonging to the EMI library (EMI/Virgin/Chrysalis/etc.) was ridiculously overused for years. A zillion different 1-5 CD comps drawn from the same set of songs. There's nothing wrong with these songs, but finding them making up the majority of yet another compilation is not too impressive.

12. Bryant19

Bryant19 Well-Known Member

I love this album! I revisit it frequently.

latheofheaven and riverrat like this.
  13. Matt Webber

Matt Webber Well-Known Member

Just a thank-you to all involved, I got great deals and miraculously all were packed great. Thanks guys and galls.

14. Ex-Oligarch

Well, excuse me for posting it here.
    I suggest you skip over future posts from me, since I will be making no effort to impress you, but merely trying to share finds that might interest other forum readers.

hutlock, Bloom and Joseph.McClure like this.
  15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Something to consider: Not every bit of info is a personal attack.

JohnBeas, imarcq, samskeyti and 5 others like this.
  16. Timpboy1

Timpboy1 Senior Member

Does anyone have an opinion about these? I didn’t find a lot when I searched here. More about Elvis being annoyed that they were released but not much about the sound/pressing quality. I’ve had pretty good luck with MOV in terms of pressings but I don’t know anything about the mastering (besides that it’s most likely from a digital file, which is sometimes fine with me). Discogs was equally thin on whether these are actually worth getting. Thanks.

17. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

I have them all, though my Spike 2LP is on green vinyl and I think it sounds the best, perhaps because it’s spread over 2 records. I purchased Spike, Juliet, and Brutal Youth at original price ($32-36). Brutal Youth is the other 2LP pressed on 2LPs and also sounds good to me, again maybe because it’s spread over two discs.

The rest are fine, some pressed at lower volume and have to be turned up a bit. At the original price point, I’d say pass on everything except the 2LP ones, esp if you already have the Rhino CDs (I did), unless you really wanted them on vinyl to have them on vinyl. I wish they had done all on 2LP.

At the sales prices though, I wanted them just to have them on vinyl and in the larger sleeves (kind of a completist thing as Costello is one of my favorite artists), so I picked up Mighty, Beauty, and Kojak (which I hardly ever listen to on CD) during the latest sale and don’t regret it. I did the 20% off $65 deal from import_cds on eBay, so each was only $14-15 shipped after tax.

Like a lot of MOV titles, they’re pressed well and play nicely (minimal pops/clicks if any), but the sleeves and sound quality don’t really blow you away.

And I have to admit, I’m unsure if I think Spike and Brutal sound the best more because they’re cut at higher volume or whether they really sound better if everything is volume equalized. I never compared any to their digital counterparts and just took whatever initial listening impressions as is when playing them for the first couple of times.

18. Timpboy1

Timpboy1 Senior Member

Thanks! Just the sort of opinion I was looking for.

latheofheaven, samwisefan and hutlock like this.
  19. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

And because these are MOV pressings, you can be about 100% sure they are from digital. Nice pressings. Average sleeve reproductions.

20. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I'm more curious why Elvis Didn't want them released?

21. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

It would be interesting to know what digital source they used. Original Warner, Rhino, new? I guess Rhino would be credited if they used those, and if they lack any new mastering credit, I suppose we just assume it’s the original Warner digital master.

22. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I bought several of the Elvis MOV titles and am very pleased with them.
    In fact, despite thier sources, MOV is a great label.

23. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

But they are all OUT OF STOCK

srsch and hutlock like this.
  24. srsch

srsch Senior Member

Try Pop market or Deep Discount. They had similar prices a few days ago.

hutlock and latheofheaven like this.
  25. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

It has some occasional slight surface noise but for $10 it’s just fine.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2023
    hutlock, Davidmk5 and samwisefan like this.