Deep Discount deep discounts*

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Marvin, May 9, 2016.

1. ryanward84

ryanward84 Forum Resident

Hmm that's what it says on their website.

2. ryanward84

ryanward84 Forum Resident

I noticed this as well.

3. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Yeah, I just saw it wants tax on my order to Texas now. That's never happened before. Sucks they are doing this now.

4. Except their prices aren't much different than Amazon's prices these days. Amazon can get the CD to me in a couple of days. No, it will definitely be Deepdiscount and the other Alliance outlets adjusting, or they will go out of business.

jamesc and slipkid like this.
  5. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Relating to that point.

If there is a problem, returning stuff to DD & then getting your $ back (or a replacement), can sometimes (or at least all the time for me) take WEEKS and WEEKS and require you to keep bugging them during all of that to get your $ back. Quite a pain in the azz and not always a simple task. Usually taking far more time & effort than I have to spare.

However with Amazon, customer service is KING, they are very ez to deal with, and a solution is almost instantaneous in some circumstances.

If I am not saving around 20% off what I would pay at Amazon I have learned the hard way that it is just not worth the risk buying from DD should there be a problem. I'd rather deal with Amazon unless the price difference makes me feel that it is worth the risk of a possible hassle. So yeah, if their "deep discount" ain't that deep anymore (including the consideration now that they charge me state sales tax thus cutting into what used to be a much better discount) I go with Amazon.

oldjollymon and superstar19 like this.
  6. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

In CA, we've been paying sales tax on DD & ImportCDs for as long as I can remember. They still have prices which at times can stomp on Amazon. And the reverse is true sometimes as well. Point is, you can't paint this with such a broad brush just because you have to cough up a little bit of sales tax that you should blame your state for, not DD.

As for returns, I've had two issues in YEARS of buying from DD/ImportCDs. Both happen to be in the last year. One was an off-center vinyl pressing. Return approved promptly and refund was also prompt upon their receipt of the returned item. The other was a CD which was not as pictured. Same thing, return approved promptly and the refund was timely as well. Your mileage apparently varies although I cannot understand why.

7. rjraphael

rjraphael Forum Resident

I also had 2 recent returns with no issue with refund. Except that I requested replacement products, but was given a refund even though they emailed me saying they would replace not refund.

8. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

And then Amazon will be able to charge whatever they want. :)

chodad likes this.
  9. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

Alliance is one step short of being a monopoly, so I imagine you'll see smaller and fewer discounts in the future...… along with sales tax added on, (unless you live in New Hampshire or Delaware)

10. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Sorry @Vinyl Richie , but you are just plain wrong.

Amazon, nor any other retailer in the United States "charges" tax. Retailers "collect" tax. The retailer does not make any additional profit on sales tax, the collection of sales tax actually is an expense to the retailer, since they will need to invest in software and/or payroll dollars to ensure compliance in the collection of sales tax, where required by law.

11. The Alliance shops had a competitive advantage over Amazon being able to sell across most of the country without charging sales tax. That disparity is gone. It's now a much more level playing field with Amazon on pricing.

slipkid likes this.
  12. Vinyl Richie

Vinyl Richie Forum Resident

Semantics. I am fully aware of the way taxation works. Thank you for being so uptight and proper.

fluffskul likes this.
  13. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

If you worked in retail and had to listen to people complain about the items we "charge" sales tax on you'd sing a different tune. A LOT of people have absolutely no idea how tax works. I'm glad you aren't one of them!

Vinyl Richie likes this.
  14. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

Got a question about the tax charges, my state's sale tax is 9.5%, but deepdiscount charged me with 7%, what's the reason for the difference?

15. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Maybe DeepDiscount only has to collect State, but not local tax?
    • State Tax - The sales tax rate on food is 4%. The general sales tax rate for most tangible personal property and taxable services 7%. A few products and services such as aviation fuel or telecommunication services have different tax rates.
    • State Single Article Rates - 2.75% on any single item sold in excess of $1,600 but not more than $3,200 - see local tax on single articles.
    • Local Tax - set by the local government - see local tax chart.
    Due Dates and Tax Rates

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    lenny nero likes this.
  16. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

15HEARTS for 15% off through 2/15 at noon CT

slipkid and black sheriff like this.
  17. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member Thread Starter

FRANKNFURTER

15% off thru 4/1

jamesc likes this.
  18. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Keith Richards Talk is Cheap box set 119.00 with discount

19. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Jethro Tull……..Too Old to Rock and Roll booklet set...…$18.22 with discount

SJP likes this.
  20. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

^^^ Smokin' deal!

I think it is also good to note that they have the expanded Heavy Horses box that comes out to $37.04 before tax. Hard to imagine this version remaining in print for too much longer.

21. oldjollymon

oldjollymon right channel den/left channel kitchen

SPRING15
    15% off thru 5/15

slipkid, Marvin and Gene Parmesan like this.
  22. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

No no no.
    I cannot afford this, no way.

Might as well start filling my cart now LOL

oldjollymon likes this.
  23. chodad

chodad Hodad

10% off until 6/7

PhantomStranger likes this.
  24. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Must
    Resist

25. The new deal is $5 off a $35 purchase. A little better than the 10% off deal unless you need a large order.

SJP likes this.