Deep Purple <==> Blackmore's Rainbow

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by siebrand, Jan 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zen

zen Senior Member

Purple's tribute to 80's Rainbow....Slaves and masters!

Side question:
    How does S&M stack up to the other 80's Rainbow albums?

I've never heard them. Only certain selections from the 2 CD collection.

2. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

It's too bad that there aren't any DVD's from the Rainbow Rising tours. I saw two, one in '75 and one in '76. Both were devastating in their intensity. On one of them, they played "Stargazer" and "A Light in the Black" back to back like on the LP. Those songs played at a volume level louder than a jet engine at close range were something to experience!

EDIT: There is DVD from 1977, but those two songs are not on it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  3. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I'm listening for performances that bring back the feeling of the times, and for me, those are the ones recorded at the time.

4. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I think I would agree with that. From start to finish. :agree:

5. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

Agree with OP - the 'new' Rainbow summer tour stuff is ok for nostalgia but that's about it. The other band members don't quite cut it, but more importantly, Ritchie can't really either anymore. So, yeah, if they played around here, I'd go for the fun and the memories, but I'd not expect prime Rainbow. Thus, comparing it to what, by most measures, was prime Purple when the music was fresh, the live show was new etc., it just seems inappropriate. Better consider it a reminder of the lifecycle we all endure, and be thankful some of those musicians live long enough to share performances and music over our arc too.

6. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Yes, the current Rainbow is a celebration that is best enjoyed at the show.

I got the blu-ray and thought it was okay, but went to see them last summer and I had such a great time. I would go to another of their shows without a moment's thought. For one thing, Romero is much more comfortable now than when they started (which is where the blu-ray comes from) and develops quite a good rapport with the audience, he's turned into a very likable frontman; and Ritchie is in a great mood, plays well and keeps joking around. It really is a lot of fun and, even though Ritchie's fingers are not as speedy as they used to be, hearing those songs and hearing that guitar tone live is a real treat.

The old Rainbow and Deep Purple bands were amazing and they made so much great music. We have all those incredible studio and live records that prove it, and no one can take them away from us. If you get a chance to see Ritchie Blackmore and his new band live these days, by all means go see them. And when you're at the venue, remember the 1970s are not coming back, so don't think about nitpicking and just celebrate the man and his music while he's still around. You'll be glad you did.

slipkid, patrickd and siebrand like this.
  7. siebrand

siebrand music lover Thread Starter

Thanks for this positive comment
    I would like to see them, but unfortunately the official website does not seem updated and 2020 tour I have not found anything ... :shake:

8. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

First half of the 80's was his peak in terms of soloing. I'd say 79-84.

danielbravo likes this.
  9. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

Yes, somehow I agree with you
    His playing has actually changed since his early years with Rainbow. He became more and more aggressive with total abandon.
    From 1984 to 1993 with Deep Purple his sound was fantastic and his tone went to another level. He became more unpredictable, when one listens to the live recordings of those years some solos are totally insane. Excellent performer without a doubt

10. marysdad

marysdad Forum Resident

Concur. I saw him in 79 on the Down to Earth tour.

11. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

Why any need to compare. What's wrong with enjoying them both ?
    It's not a competition.

12. old school

old school Senior Member

No it’s not a competition. I do enjoy both I was referring to the OP’s remarks simple as that.

13. Longinus

Longinus Forum Resident

To me, his guitar tone on all the mk2 live recordings from the 1980's sounds bloody awful, whatever he was trying to accomplish. Thankfully, it went back to normal for their 1993 tour.

14. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

.. has noticeable pitch issues.

15. qrarolu

qrarolu Forum Resident

I probably misunderstand you but "Total Abandon" is Steve Morse playing.

16. danielbravo

Ah... :wtf:

17. danielbravo

Ok, Ok, obviously I'm not referring to the "Total Abandon" album. It is a coincidence that I have referred to myself in the same terms as this album. Although I understand that it could be misunderstood

good vibes

qrarolu likes this.
  18. danielbravo

It's a matter of taste, but I like it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.