Deep Purple confirms new 2020 album "Whoosh!"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Eiricd, Dec 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Last couple have been pretty decent. Fingers crossed for this one.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

4. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

Really torn on this. The last two didn’t do much for me although my understanding is that they were generally well-received.

They’re one of my favorite bands of all-time, so I get each album, but my excitement level for a new album has been getting more and more muted over the years.

Mirsset likes this.
  5. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

6. zen

zen Senior Member

GREAT news. Thanks!

Agreed. The Battle Rages On is all the way down at #20? ...If you're a fan of all eras Purple, you know that's a bs rating.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    ARK likes this.
  7. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

great news. i love the 2 newest albums

BluesOvertookMe, The MEZ and carlwm like this.
  8. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

The reviewer obviously likes different things compared to the "typical" Purple fan.

Personally, I'm not all that keen on any of their albums until Perfect Strangers (although I haven't heard the Rod Evans records). From there on, I like some but not all of them so if I'd ranked their catalogue, it would be entirely unacceptable to a fan of the early Ian Gillan years but would make sense to me.

9. Eiricd

I think the last two albums with Ezrin have been terrific, especially considering at what stage in the game they are.
    If the new one is in the same ball park, it will make up a hell of a trilogy to go out on..

The MEZ, FVDnz and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Whoosh !

New album title, apparently

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. zen

zen Senior Member

I like it.

From the Highway Star today...

Our contributor from Germany posted a summary of the Rocks magazine coverage of the upcoming Deep Purple album
    in the comments, and it deserves to be promoted to a news item.

The feature is quite interesting and in depth, here are a few selected highlights for our non-German readers
    courtesy of Uwe Hornung. All the usual caveats about reverse translation apply.

• The new album is to sound more progressive, say the “Rocks” scribes (hardly a surprise, ever since Don joined, the band has become more and more a prog rock one, it’s in his DNA …)
    • Whoosh! (that’s the title of the new album) will contain seven songs, most of them lengthy. The title is to allude to the world being eventually washed away due to climate change.
    • Bob Ezrin is perceived as a hard taskmaster by the band, especially by Steve Morse, though it was Steve’s idea to use him in the first place (after having experienced him as a producer when Steve was with Kansas in the 80s).
    • Bob sees Purple as “a genre of their own, not classic, not contemporary, if I had to give it a name I’d choose ‘rock grandeur'”. He also deems them as a quintessentially British band (and all the better for it, “only a Brit band could play the music as they do”) and Morse’s guitar style as “international and eclectic enough to fit in”. Improvisation — a dying art — is what makes Purple stand out, past, present, and future.
    • Steve had a hard time adjusting from Jon to Don, Jon was telepathic, “with Don there were clashes during the recording of Bananas”, but that is now all water under the bridge. Everyone in the band is now in agreement that Don is the “mad professor” and the off-the-wall musical driving force.
    • While Little Ian deems Purple’s 70s production work as “still sounding good today, they were products of their time and made for the audience we had back then”, he rates Bob Ezrin as creating productions that “sound like they stem from us, yet are made for today”.
    • Roger hated the sound of Rapture of the Deep (the album) immediately.
    • back in the day Bob Ezrin was approached by Purple Records to produce Made in Japan, but he was busy with other things, so he turned the offer down only to see MiJ become the iconic live album of the 70s with huge sales making him think “Damned, I sure messed up that one!”. Well, the postman always rings twice.

12. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

WHOOSH!
    Deep Purple's 21st studio album is going to be released on June 12th, 2020.

"Whoosh!" will be available as Limited CD+DVD Mediabook, 2LP+DVD Edition, Limited Box Set and Digital Version - putting the Deep back into Purple!

Read more here:
    www.deeppurple-whoosh.com

[​IMG]

Blastproof, Matthew Tate and FVDnz like this.
  13. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

I'm all in on this, can not wait !

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I kind of like the album cover, but the track listing covers 13 tracks. I guess the rumors weren't true about only seven lengthy ones?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Claus

Claus Senior Member

that means a few fillers!

13 songs is way too much.

sunking101 and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. Eiricd

I got into Deep Purple in 2003. They're in my top 5 bands of all time, top3 even. I remember thinking I was glad I discovered them before it was too late.
    To have a new album coming now, 17 years later, is a massive gift. Especially considering how strong the previous two albums have been.

I'll enjoy this while I can. Very soon it's all going to be history

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Eiricd

the dvd will feature the complete Hellfest 2017 gig it seems....(available on audio already)

while I'll gladly have a complete dvd instead og the edited blu ray bootleg with inferior sound (tv broadcast), how difficult is it to put the thing out on blu ray?!?!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Austinisoverrated

Austinisoverrated Active Member

Now What was very good.

Infinite was decent.

That's the beauty of Spotify, try before you buy.

sound chaser and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. Eiricd

get them on vinyl and you’ll find the Spotify stream sounds almost like a demo in comparison;)

dixiedixie69 likes this.
  20. zen

zen Senior Member

Clips from Deep Purple's 2020 Album Whoosh!

Extract, DPM and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

Sounds good to me just based on the clips, and nice to hear And The Address!

For us Amazon folks, the U.S. store has this listed for pre-order.

zen and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. Eiricd

Won’t be easy, but I’m not going to listen to snippets - I’ll wait for the “single” :)

23. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

Hey, thanks!

Those clips sound awesome. IMO, this is one of Purple's greatest lineups and this sounds like another winner.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Nice cover!!!! Way better than Infinite or Now What? Im so all in for the Deluxe!!

siebrand and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

They clearly didn't listen to it; it's a gem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.