Deep Purple confirms new 2020 album "Whoosh!"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Eiricd, Dec 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

They know.

2. zen

zen Senior Member

Sorry, you've lost me.
    They knooooooooooooooooooo what?

3. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

They know you prefer seeing the 10 over a small number. Wake up, Mr Zen! :D

4. zen

zen Senior Member

I would think that type of misinformation would only hurt their reputation.

Updated: According to Metalwani.com: The SQ for (the previous DP album) Infinite was 8.5 However, it was a different person doing the reviewing. Back to square 1.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  5. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I guess I've become cynical, but I see those reviews as adverts. To be fair, if the reviewer thinks the sound quality of the new album deserves a 10 that's their opinion and more power to them, but I can't help feeling it's blatant hype.

Personally though, I'm looking forward to the album as I think they're on to something since Now What. After all, new Deep Purple has been on auto-buy for me for decades and that's not gonna stop now.

6. zen

zen Senior Member

Agreed.

7. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

I am pleased the band are still making new music. Only 21 albums later it seems, who would have thought only that with the endless live releases we've had over the years? I'm not terribly excited after the last few albums but I'll be happy to give them a chance when it gets released, there's some guarantees of quality with these guys. What really surprises me is the generally euphoric reviews from the press as reported here. When did that turn happen? Have to think the re-recording of And the Address is no whim....if it's really the end, it's been an amazing journey.

zen and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Ian Paice: This was Bob's idea. He asked "Why don't we re-record something from the first LP?" And at that point we actually thought for a moment: "Okay, this might actually be the final album."
    If that would actually turn out to be the case, we'd have closed the circle, and with a track that was written by the Purple founders Lord and Blackmore.

(re-translated from German to English by me, thanks to eclipsed magazine 6/2020)

zen, patrickd and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. zen

zen Senior Member

Ian Paice unboxing the "Whoosh!" Box Set...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Claus

Claus Senior Member

My buddy got a review sample. I could listen to the wole album and I was pleasantly surprised.

Whoosh! is better as the last two albums, which I don’t like.

Music: 7/10
    Sound: 7/10

Matthew Tate and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  11. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

:faint:

Matthew Tate and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  12. zen

zen Senior Member

Claus was...pleasantly surprised?!
    Now I'm a little worried. :winkgrin:

JulesRules and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  13. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Yeah, I don't know what to think now! :laugh:

JulesRules likes this.
  14. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

With all due respect, Claus' vision might be quite different from the mean fan. Most of us enjoyed Now What very much.

Personally, I though Now What was a very good album, Infinite was a step downward, and from what I have hear only, this one is a further step downward. I don't see much an evolution between the three albums done with Ezrin. And the lack of evolution in the musical direction is something that has played a relevant role in the band's history as we all know...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

If the new album is better than the previous 2 then I should love this because I really liked the 2 previous albums. Just waiting for it to be released and delivered. Had the CD on pre-order since it went up on Amazon.

Matthew Tate, BluesOvertookMe and zen like this.
  16. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

Last night I posted some quotes by Ian Paice in the latest Goldmine Magazine about some of DP’s lesser-loved albums (here if you’re interested), but he also talked about Steve’s playing on the new album, especially since Steve has had some hand problems.

It’s a really good interview. Both Paice and Gillan were interviewed and it was nice that it primarily focused on the “now” and not the past. Worth picking up if it’s sold in your local shop.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  17. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I think Whoosh! is better than Now What?! This one is more progressive. Whoosh doesn’t have such cheesy tracks like Body Line or Vincent Price.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

zen and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

BluesOvertookMe, zen and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Thrilled to see "Whoosh!" as BBC Radio 2's "Album of the week"!

//Deep Purple Webteam

[​IMG]

zen and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  21. zen

zen Senior Member

Found it...

9/10 from Classic Rock.
    This one will, I guess, enthuse those who like the tracks so far and do little for those you don't like them:-

Following 2013’s Now What?! and Infinite from three years ago, Whoosh! is the third successive album Deep Purple have made with producer Bob Ezrin. Hats off to him and the band, this is another step forward - the sound of a band making music without constraints or pressure. Purple are enjoying themselves, and you can hear it.

Opener Throw My Bones and last track Dancing In My Sleep both, coincidentally, feature vaguely funky riffs, but no two songs between them are alike, with the band confident and mature enough to strive for variety yet still produce a cohesive whole. They’ve further honed their songwriting - most of the 13 numbers on Whoosh! fall well short of four minutes, and only two stretch beyond five. That economy of presentation gives them superpowers.

The only mystery is why the running order means that just at the point where you might expect the quality to dip, up pops a belter. Or three in the case of tracks 9-11 - Power Of The Moon, Man Alive and the instrumental Remission Impossible in between. The first is atmospheric and mysterious, with a stellar Hammond break by Don Airey (who is brilliant and different on every track); Man Alive is a moody, slow-building rocker on which

Ian Gillan ruminates on ‘the transient nature of man’s existence’ and even pulls off some spoken-word interludes.

It helps, of course, when you have Ian Paice - the planet’s most dynamic rock drummer - underpinning it all. And that every time guitarist Steve Morse takes a solo he kicks the track up another notch. But Gillan stars. Long after some had written him off, the singer delivers lyrics that combine the curmudgeon and the comic, and does so beautifully. His stab at dumb-ass politicians on No Need To Shout is particularly on the money.

Musically, the raucous piano boogie of What The What harks back to the rock’n’roll era, Step By Step paints a quasi-gothic masterpiece, and The Long Way Around updates the ‘driving rocker’ template.

Full marks too for a fresh version of And The Address, the instrumental opening 1968’s Shades Of Deep Purple debut (note: Paice is the only current member who played on the original), while the sublime best is probably Nothing At All, on which bassist Roger Glover is rampant and Paicey swings like a bell.

Purple’s anthem days might be behind them, and some tracks here might surprise on first listen, but surprise quickly gives way to joy. This is superb.

Neil Jeffries

slipkid and dixiedixie69 like this.
  22. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

honkydrum likes this.
  23. zen

zen Senior Member

24. dixiedixie69

dixiedixie69 Forum Resident

Can't wait for this....:laugh:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. zen