Deep Purple confirms new 2020 album "Whoosh!"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Eiricd, Dec 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Just landed, and sounds really great on first blasting. Musically superb, Big Ian singing well within his range, really good songs and production, a definite 10 from me!

streetlegal, AFA, dirie and 3 others like this.
  2. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

:goodie:

M2225, Matthew Tate and PJayBe like this.
  3. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

dixiedixie69, Matthew Tate and zen like this.
  4. dixiedixie69

dixiedixie69 Forum Resident

Very impressive on first listen. A lovely combination of the other two 'Ezrin-era' records.
    I think that he's done a great job sonically. For me, it sounds absolutely fantastic. Big Ian hasn't sounded so pure in years.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Where did most of you pre-order the album from? I completely forgot to pre-order until this past week and I pre-ordered on Amazon. I just got a notice this morning that the estimated arrival is 8/24. Is there another seller where I can get a copy from sooner than that? I'm interested in the vinyl/DVD set.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I got the CD today, pre-ordered from jpc.

Sound quality is okay, that means not great!

leonafonte and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

8. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

and new Deep Purple comes out and only 5 pages?

finally listening to and enjoying this now - enjoying it quite a bit more than I thought I would. Paice is still a monster.

On_the_dunes, AFA, j4yheindeo and 3 others like this.
  9. zen

zen Senior Member

I'm glad you like it. :righton:
    I'm stuck here without a record store and a pre-order that failed to deliver on time. Our modern world is so swell. :rolleyes:

Everyone's too busy gushing at Taylor Swift's (43 page) thread!

AFA and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. motionoftheocean

I'm listening to a download and would highly recommend the same, at least in the interim.

Pretty deep into this thing now, and apart from the occasional cornball lyric (not exactly uncharted territory for DP) I've liked everything. Airey's keyboards especially are way, way up in the mix and I've got no issue with that. Lots of nods to Perfect Strangers, too, and that's something I'm equally fine with.

AFA, j4yheindeo, zen and 1 other person like this.
  11. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

I pre-ordered from Amazon in March and was disappointed this didn’t end up with “Release day delivery” as some titles do. Right now it’s scheduled for delivery next Tuesday.

Oh well... something to look forward to next week.

zen and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

My Amazon order here in the UK actually turned up on Thursday, so very happy. Not sure the neighbours were though.....

JakeKlas likes this.
  13. Progatron

Progatron Wealthy industrialist philanthropist & bicyclist

Absolutely loving it. The second half in particular is fantastic. These last three with Ezrin have been top notch IMO! :cool:

Airey impresses as always, and I honestly feel Glover & Paice are one of the most underrated rhythm sections in rock. I know the band is huge, but even still...

AFA, Matthew Tate and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  14. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I didn't pre-order this one at all (going to order it now!) but as a piece of advice based on my experiments with Amazon this summer, give it a few days. There have been four separate occasions this summer where I pre-ordered a CD on Amazon and it said "order received" until release day, then switched to a range of dates sometimes up to a full month out. But in all four cases so far (knock wood, I've got another from today), it updated by the end of the weekend and I got all four by the following Tuesday. I'll cross my fingers for you.

15. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

I had decided to pass this one, but the positive reviews are making me change my mind...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Claus

Claus Senior Member

After I have listened the album a few times, I really like the album. The only tracks I skip, the first one and the bonus track.

rjstauber, Whistle and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I pre-ordered the Ltd. Edition CD/DVD Mediabook Edition from Amazon, but I won't receive it until August 19th at the earliest and August 24th at the latest. Knowing Amazon during this pandemic, like most of my pre-orders, I will receive it at the latter part of the estimate date range. I almost stopped at Target on the way home just to see if they had the standard edition in stock, but I figured they wouldn't have it in stores. After I got home, I checked, and they didn't. I saved myself a trip. So, I'll have a 2 week wait before I can hear this album for the first time in full.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    zen and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. This sounds almost like a Don Airey solo album to me, he is very prominent on it, much more than the guitar parts.

19. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Had a quick listen on Spotify just now - good album.

20. leonafonte

leonafonte Ah Um is life’s first and deepest impulse!

Poor DR (AVG 6, MIN 5, MAX 8).

JediJoker likes this.
  21. motionoftheocean

sounds just fine, though

leonafonte and zen like this.
  22. zen

zen Senior Member

I played it twice last night (thanks to Earmusic via Utube) and enjoyed the F out of it. Overall, it sounded well balanced, musicianship and production wise. And as for Don Airey, well he did turn out to be quite important for Purple; but calling Whoosh! a Don Airey solo album is as silly as the usual, "Sounds like a Gillan solo album."

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

'Whoosh!'

Sounds like that sound at the start of Fireball.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Does the vinyl come with the dvd or only the cd?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. zen

zen Senior Member

Matthew Tate and dasacco like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.