Deep Purple preparing new album and tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Madrid, May 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Madrid

Madrid Forum Resident Thread Starter

Posted this on the 50th anniversary thread but thought it deserved a bigger audience:

Back in the USA

I'm looking forward to another album as really enjoyed the last two, but they surely must be coming close to the end now. They seem to tour relentlessly as well for a band with members their age and surely they can't handle much more. Great band, personally think they don't get enough credit, either for their classic years or for keeping going still and continuing to put out decent stuff.

2. Troy4

Troy4 Forum Resident

A friend went to see them on there farewell tour at the O2 Arena in London not that long ago.

3. Madrid

I saw them on the 'Long Goodbye' tour in 2017 and thought they would be wrapping it up at the end of that. They seem to enjoy playing and recording though, and importantly the atmosphere is a lot better than with Richie Blackmore (though musically he is missed) so I guess they want to keep it going a little longer.

Use_Your_Koala likes this.
  4. Madrid

What would people on here like to see on the new album?

Wish there could be some guest appearances from former members.

5. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

This is still part of the Long Goodbye tour. They said it would take awhile.

6. qrarolu

qrarolu Forum Resident

Steve Morse playing finger-style guitar. If he has to change his playing why not play without the guitar pick. Jeff Beck made this transition with great success.

7. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I will give the last album a chance. Why they can’t do the same Sabbath did when they recorded 13? A record back to the classic roots of Deep Purple and not the cheesy modern sound of producer Bob Ezrin.

bombardir499, jon9091 and walrus like this.
  8. dixiedixie69

dixiedixie69 Forum Resident

I think the two Ezrin records are brilliant..they sound excellent to me. Exactly how Deep Purple should,imo

9. Madrid

I would be happy with another album along the same lines as the two last Ezrin produced ones, but maybe a bit shorter. Would prefer 8 or 9 quality tracks and no filler. Their classic albums of the 70s tended to have 7-8 tracks but these days it seems like albums have to have 12-13. Stretching out a bit with some longer instrumental passages as well would be good.

Another wish, but far more unlikely, is that there could be a couple of tracks with ex-members guesting, to pay tribute to the history of the band. Incredibly unlikely with all the bad blood I know but a shame they couldn't just have one track on one final album with Blackmore, Coverdale and Hughes or failing that an appearance at a final concert.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Claus

Claus Senior Member

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Bingo Bongo and intv7 like this.
  11. hammondjake

hammondjake Forum Resident

Ezrin to produce, Steven Wilson to mix and master...

Love the recent Purple albums (on vinyl), but they suffer the same fate as the most recent Opeth album (ie the one that Steven Wilson didn't work on) - muddy and overly compressed. I acquired a needledrop of Now What (I think) where an attempt had been made to 'de-compress' the album. Obviously you can't really do this without access to the master (or ideally the multi-tracks), but even so, it sounded so much better all round.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

I'm in like Flynn. Just got 6th row in Milwaukee.

MechanicalAnimal6 and zen like this.
  13. zen

zen Senior Member

Great news. I hope it comes true.

We sure hear things differently, Claus.

Blastproof likes this.
  14. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Better songs than they've written as of late. I haven't gotten any enjoyment out of a Deep Purple album since Abandon, 21 years ago, and that one really ran hot and cold. The last four have been devoid of anything I was interested in.

Trader Joe likes this.
  15. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I will check it out. I really liked the last 2 albums

16. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I thought Now What?! was a great disc and find Infinite unlistenable.

So a new album would be a very wait and see prospect for me.

17. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

I liked both of the recent albums. That said, they will have to reach way the hell up there to even come close to Purpendicular.

18. dpv2008

dpv2008 Forum Resident

...with 5.1. mix. :)

Blastproof and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. M2225

M2225 Nebulus 7 intergalaxy eclipse

I bought "13" on Vinyl, suffered through it once and dumped it. Not everyone think it's great.

What I think is great is that DP are getting out on the road, I saw Black Sabbath in Helsinki, Finland in 2013 and it was great!
    Maybe I will get the chance to catch DP live anytime soon!

Blastproof and Madrid like this.
  20. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

It's really becoming a "Very Long Goodbye."

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. zen

zen Senior Member

If that means a new album...we are lucky!

22. Madrid

How much longer do you think the band have got in them, Zen? And do you think the current line-up will be the final one?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. zen

zen Senior Member

Lord knows.
    ha ha.
    I hope the current lineup is the final one. Being on a roll at this stage, is epic!! They've certainly found their way, while my other favorite quintet, YES made a wrong turn.

Matthew Tate and Madrid like this.
  24. Madrid

The comparison to Yes is very interesting - both bands have had complex and confusing histories but the current Yes has a very tenuous link to the classic line-up while at least Purple have kept the core and the traditions of the glory days. I hope to see them at least one more time and have been really happy with what they've done in the last few years.

Matthew Tate and zen like this.
  25. Madrid

Was thinking again about the comparison to Yes when reading about their current tour (also 50th anniversary). Yes seem to really dip into their back catalogue and delve into some less played stuff each tour - be good to see Deep Purple do that as their setlist seems to have become pretty static and predictable over the last years (and possibly always). Lots of the same stuff, and playing it safe.

Which lesser played songs could they do to mix up the set a bit on what could be their final tour?

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.