Deerhunter - New Album January 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ralphb, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Guy E

Guy E Forum Resident

The sound of Why Hasn't Everything Already Disappeared? is beautiful, and it's a great listen on headphones. The production is dense, but not cluttered. The layered keyboards are distinctive, soft and soothing. Piano, Harpsichord, Chamberlin and a variety of synthesizers... this album doesn't sound like anything else, to my ears.

An impressive work.

2. Guy E

Guy E Forum Resident

They are essential.

Logos is one of my favorite albums. It has actually become a dependable "comfort food" listen for me... it always puts me in a good mood if I can't settle on anything else to listen to. I'm never disappointed or change my mind after I put it on.

It's nice having a modern album like that... I've leaned on The Byrds Turn! Turn! Turn! for over half a century!

3. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..." Thread Starter

I know it's early in the year, but this is definitely going to wind up in my top of the pops for 2019, top five easily. There is a flow, a progression in the music from song to song that is so logical and beautifully presented that the albums cumulative power grows stronger as it plays. Just about perfect in my opinion.

fourfeathers and notesofachord like this.
  4. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Forum Resident

I was worried about, given Cate Le Bon's presence. I really like her Cyrk album, but her last two albums, while I kinda like, sound really cold and spindly and sterile. But thankfully this one sounds nothing like that.

Guy E likes this.
  5. Admerr

Admerr Well-Known Member

That was the first thing that hit me upon hearing Greenpoint Gothic.

6. Carter DeVries

Carter DeVries Forum Resident

Yep. Noisy, cadaver flesh colored vinyl. Can’t get rid of the incessant pops and ticks on my copy even free two trips around the RCM with two different cleaning regimens.
    More concerning though is how compressed this one is mastered. I *think* I dig the actual music but find it impossible to get into with any kind of depth with such a squashed sound. Drums especially are just crushed sounding.
    Has no one else noticed or been bothered by this?

7. luckycountry

luckycountry Well-Known Member

They've been live-streaming their soundcheck for tonight's show in Chicago on Instagram...fantastic stuff. Not sure who the 13-year old on bass was but he was tremendous.