Def Leppard Slang album nearly 25 years later

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Price.pittsburgh, Nov 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident Thread Starter

Always liked this album.
    It's different but it still has a Leppard vibe.
    Some say it was an attempt at Grunge but it's nothing like Grunge it's just not traditional Def Leppard. Half the album falls more under what in the 90s they called Alternative.
    Slang (album) - Wikipedia

paradox55, Pouchkine, Sean and 4 others like this.
  2. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident Thread Starter

3. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Like Slang myself it represents a band that has been through some difficult times up to that point 1996. Still trying to stay relevant 1990's. I dismissed it at first spring 1996. It took several listens to get Slang. Only recently I realized what a Lep masterpiece Slang is.
    A solid experimental album for the guys. Still and always trying to find at that time a different sound.
    Slang is something different for the Leppard I give them credit for trying something new 1995--1996. It is definitely not the noise some refer to it as. Threads like this most likely won't do well here you could move it to PopMatters.com, just a suggestion as it might do better their. Great thread and album.

:righton:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  4. Count Orfloff

Count Orfloff Forum Resident

They should have released Slang in 1992 instead of the sub par Adrenalize.

Sean and JeffMo like this.
  5. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

I liked it then and I still like it now. One of their stronger efforts, I think. I return to this one and Retro-Active as often as I do Pyromania and Hysteria.

6. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I like it a lot - epic closer "Pearls of Euphoria" is my favorite but I find the album to be consistently good.

7. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

while I agree it would have been impossible for those songs to be written by 1992. it was a product of what the band went through from 1993-1996

ARK, enro99, Price.pittsburgh and 2 others like this.
  8. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

After this discussion and another Def Lep thread yesterday, I'm pulling Slang off the shelf today!

9. Sean

Sean Senior Member

I liked their attempt at a musical left turn in trying something a little outside their wheelhouse.
    I have owned a cee dee copy of Slang since its 1996 release & "Work It Out" is a great tune.

10. theshape

theshape Forum Resident

Caught up in so many newer bands at the time, I didn't pay any attention to Slang at all, upon release. Or any of the Def Leppard releases after Adrenalize and up until MirrorBall. Which, is what brought my enthusiasm for Def Leppard back, and caused me to check out all of those later 90s and early 00s albums. As well as just in time for the self-titled album, which i love.

Anyway, Slang is definitely one of the better latter day Def Leppard albums, in my opinion. Good stuff. I especially like the 2cd expanded edition they released years ago. :righton:

11. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

Like several others, I basically gave up on DL after Adrenalize. I did pick up a copy of Slang for $1 at flea market about a year ago, and still haven't listened to it yet. Maybe this thread will inspire me to give it a spin.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  12. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

And did you?

I love the album, myself.

Matthew Tate and JeffMo like this.
  13. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

Actually, yes, I did. Not a fan. Maybe I'll give it another shot after another 20 years.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Ha! Fair enough.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. RollinHard843

RollinHard843 Forum Resident

I like it, a little more now than i did in the 90's. I liked it then too though. My biggest problem, then and now, is that there are too many ballads in the 2nd half.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

Loved it at the time, but wouldn’t be able to hum a single tune off it now. It was a much more enjoyable record for me that Adrenalize, which was an incredible disappointment after the 2 records that preceded it. Amazing how quickly Def Leppard became massively less exciting post 1991 and the death of Steve Clark. For any discerning rock fan, both Pyromania and Hysterical are indispensable - and nothing released after that time is really worth the effort.

I’ll always have a soft spot for them though, despite all that - I worshipped them in the 80’s...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. progmog

progmog Senior Member

I love this album, and never understood the hate for it....oh, wait....I momentarily forgot that bands are supposed to release the same album over and over and over again...!

Matthew Tate and Herman Schultz like this.
  18. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

The 2CD edition is where this album is at. The band sounds very inspired throughout. This and Euphoria were probably the last full albums from Leppard that I really enjoyed.

Matthew Tate and JeffMo like this.
  19. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Try as I might I've never liked any Leps album since Hysteria. Slang is no different.

20. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Great single
    It bombed
    I haven’t heard anything else on it

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Nice album, and better as the overproduced Hysteria-Pop.

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.