Definitive Monkees (plus bonus disc)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by peterC, Jul 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict Thread Starter

Has anyone else got this?

I thought I'd upgrade my Monkees CD collection recently which previously comprised of the 1986 Arista Then and Now Inglot/Perry compilation.

I picked up The Definitive Monkees from the recent hmv.co.uk sale for a third of the usual price. It's a UK/European compilation. I believe it uses the Rhino masters as "special thanks" are given to Inglot and Andrew Sandoval and others.

The first CD has 29 hits (including 2 unfortunate reunion tracks) and the bonus CD has 31 "missing links" including lots of Nesmith and some nice Dolenz demos. What a talented singer/musician he was.

To me the sound is excellent and a huge improvement over my old 1986 comp.

Believe it or not, I had never heard or perhaps never noticed the alarm clock in Daydream Believer before!

Highly recommended, but beware it comes in 2 versions, with and without the bonus disc, both at the same price.

2. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Bill I. has done a LOT of footwork to track down better source tapes for the Monkees (and he's not stingy with the stereo tracks). Our pal Steve has mentioned that a chunk of the sonic peculiarities involving the Prefab 4 involves the RCA studio folks who liked to roll off the highs (see Stones, Electric Prunes and other 60's stuff recorded at RCA Hollywood). They'll never be stuff you'd show off your hi-fi with, but they certainly have received some good upgrades since Arista's first hits set came out.

3. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Meet The Monkees

>>>>Yea, I agree with all the above, but why havent we STILL seen a remix of the first two Monkees LP from the Multitracks?

Around 2 years ago, Rhino found all the multis to the first and second LPs.

These are the two Lps that need it the most. The first Lp has the midrange boosted and the guitars sound like nails on a blackboard. The bass is practically non existent. The second Lp is a little better, but still needs some sonic improvement.

I'd be happy to pay 15-16 dollars for each of these if they were remixed and included alternate takes of some of the session tapes, along with some cool pictures of the studio sessions. Screen Gems took THOUSANDS of pictures of The Monkees, most of which we have never seen.

Mikey

4. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Did Rhino ever do an upgrade of Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones, Ltd. after they found the actual master tapes? The Rhino reissue I bought when the catalogue was revamped was done with a higher generation tape. I know they released that master on the Sundazed vinyl version, and on the tracks for The Monkees Anthology, but did they ever re-do the entire album CD with the new master?

5. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Re: Meet The Monkees

I believe 3 or 4 songs from the second album were remixed on the ten year old box (Listen to the Band) by the folks at Rhino.

6. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Re: Meet The Monkees

At least they're not mono per a lot of Rhino's output. I don't think that I'm gonna be happy with the Rhino situation until I'm installed as Big Chief Reissue!!! :D

7. RetroSmith

>>>John, I dont think thats accurate. You may be confusing that with the ARISTA version of "More of The Monkees" which had a lot of the tracks remixed, but it was a Puny remix. Also, when they did that remix, they only had the ping ponged 4 track multi and not the earlier stage tapes, which they have now. Then they could dump all the stages to a Digital workstation and have close to 12 tracks to mix into nice, wide stereo.

But that costs money, and Rhino doesnt seem to want to spend any on The Monkees at this point.

8. RetroSmith

>>>Nope, they didnt. They used the new tapes they found on the PAC&J tracks that appeared on "Anthology" but thats it.

Rhino has not remastered ANY of the Lps on Cd since the 90s resissues on Cd. And, you can bet that the next Monkees remaster will be on SACD or DVD-A. Makes no sense to do it any other way.

I'm fine with that, as long as its Hybrid, like the Stones SACDs will be.

9. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Hybrid would be swell, but with that Warner tie-in it may be straight to DVD-A, which would screw me unless it's like the EMI discs that play back in a standard DVD player...

10. RetroSmith

Well, you may be right because I have heard the entire run of the Monkees TV show is going to be released on DVD in time for the Christmas season.

What I dont know is if the audio will be remixed in 5.1 surround. It would make sense since you have a dialog track, a sound effects track, and the music itself.

I'm looking forward to that since I just got a 42 inch Plasma TV!!!

11. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Thanks for the clarification Mikey. I got my information from the BSN site but can't find it now. I'll check when I get home. I like your idea of a nice wide stereo mix (though it might bother some on this forum).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.