Definitive Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here on vinyl?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by buzzlulu, Jul 21, 2011.

1. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

I have a A1/B3 and a A4/B11. From what I can remember there wasn't much difference but I will have to A/B it sometime.

2. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Please do and get back to us.

3. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

My A1/B5 copy has HTM etched on the B side, are there B5 copies with no HTM?

Floyd Crazy likes this.
  4. Leonthepro

Probably, cutting engineers dont always write their signatures every time.

5. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

But I'd think there would be only one B5 cut.

6. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Seems one stamper was missing the HTM scribe.

7. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

So there is a B5 without HTM? Interesting, I would think HTM would be etched on the lacquer.

8. Slick Willie

Seems this one did not have it.

SHVL 814 A-1 RPM 4 / SHVL 814 B-5 GT 3 (both stamped)

9. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Is that a copy you have/had? I'm curious if someone here first hand has a B5 with no HTM.

10. Slick Willie

Not one I have, taken from the PF fan site. It's possible the etching was just too faint to see? Or the etching was done to the metal father instead of the lacquer?

AaronW likes this.
  11. I received my German A3/B3 last week and am very happy with the sound. It was sold as NM, and while close, not quite there. But it will do a great job until I can find a truly NM UK or of this same pressing.

I prefer it to my early US by a bit and much prefer it to the 2016. YMMV

sathvyre, ODShowtime and c-eling like this.
  12. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I just spun the German A-2/B-2 and it's still my favorite version of the album so far. It has an exciting edge to it. I have a UK A-1/B-5 coming in the mail next week to add to the collection.

Floyd Crazy, Tinian, GyroSE and 2 others like this.
  13. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

You’re absolutely right - the German DMM cut is superb. So punchy and brilliantly transparent. Like you, I prefer it to my UK A1/B7 and German A3/B3 pressings.

Hank1968, GyroSE and Echoes Myron like this.
  14. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I overheard a phone conversation at my local record store in which an employee was trying to broker a deal for the UK Nimbus Supercut...…….he was telling the guy on the other end that "I might be able to get him down to a thousand." What? How good does this thing sound?

Echoes Myron and c-eling like this.
  15. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

What the heck is that? Edit: Nevermind.

16. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

The German A2/B2 is my favourite as well, I also have the UK A1/B3, the Swedish first pressing and the CBS Mastersound half speed master but the German is the best soundwise when played through my sound system. The other three aren’t bad but the A2/B2 sounds the best to these ears.

ODShowtime, Tinian and Echoes Myron like this.
  17. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

Funny, I just learned about Nimbus in my local record shop about an hour ago. They were talking about the Sgt Peppers, but mentioned that the WYWH also tended to fetch a pretty penny. Anyone here able to compare it to a UK original?

Dr. Funk likes this.
  18. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I haven't compared the two directly, but my impression of the German A2/B2 is that I enjoyed it more than the UK A1/B5. But I've only heard each one about half a dozen times so far. I'm trying to turn my focus inward to my collection instead of outward into the marketplace.

I like having choices either way. Like American Beauty; the Artisan original is amazing, and the old-school MFSL is also amazing, in a different way.

jgrillo and Echoes Myron like this.
  19. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Yeah, I knew the WYWH is getting up there in price......but had no idea it is commanding that kind of coin.

20. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

There's one on the fleabay at the moment, bidding is around $500 bucks (pounds?) currently.

21. Leonthepro

Always wanted to know too.

Dr. Funk likes this.
  22. monomusic

monomusic Forum Resident

Of my copies of this album, I'd have to say that the best is probably the German second pressing, matrix is A2/B2. I also have the 1982 Mastersound half-speed, with the EQ-corrected cutting, HC 43453 catalog number. Both of these pressings are comparable, in my opinion, and in some cases, the German is better, particularly on side one. My other copies are a U.S. first pressing, a U.S. third pressing, and a U.S. from the late 1980's. None of them sound bad, they are all very good. Never heard the Nimbus, sadly.

Tinian and Solace like this.
  23. Leonthepro

UK? 2016 Reissue?

24. Slick Willie

Does your US 1st have any HTM cut sides?

25. monomusic

monomusic Forum Resident

No, sir. I do not have a UK pressing, or the 2016. I do have the 2011 reissue, but never bothered to open it, lol.