Definitive Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here on vinyl?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by buzzlulu, Jul 21, 2011.

1. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

CBS Half speed - my memory seems to be surfacing on this - there were 2 versions of these. The first ones didn't use the correct half speed RIAA equalisation and were bass deficient IIRC.

2. buzzlulu

buzzlulu Forum Resident Thread Starter

What is the Nimbus pressing? I think it had something to do with the CBS hale speed however don't those say Mastersound?

3. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Russian?

LitHum05 likes this.
  4. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

The Nimbus copies (were they called "Supercut"?) were commissioned by Practical HiFi IIRC and included Wish You Were Here and Sgt Peppers IIRC, amongst others I can't remember. Nimbus was used because of the superb reputation they had for cutting nice albums (Tony Faulkner recorded stuff?? - sooooooo long ago). This had nothing to do with CBS. Someone with a better memory than I may know if they were half speed or full speed cut.
    There's a Sgt Pepper Nimbus on Ebay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Beatles-Sgt-Pepper-MEGA-RARE-NIMBUS-/180699201097?pt=UK_Records&hash=item2a1282fe49#ht_500wt_1156

5. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

I luv the sound of the Holland (Dutch) pressing. Nice and warm with killer dynamics!

sean

6. quicksilverbudie

in case someone asks again....here are the matrix.

Holland (Dutch) pressing

side 1
    69618-A3-C
    side 2
    69618-B4-C

If you see one "just get it" and you will be a believer! lol

sean

Timbo21 and willied like this.
  7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

8. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Here's what I have

US 1st pressing
    UK A-1/B-3 1st pressing
    UK Quad
    US Mastersound

IMO the UK and Mastersound are close but the Mastersound edges out the UK. The quad mix is slightly different and therefore necessary

9. italianprog

italianprog Forum Resident

Another vote for the CBS Half-speed mastered LP, although all I have to compare it to is the 1992 CD in my 'Shine On' box set.

10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yamfox,

KP= Ken Perry mastering. Usually does very fine work. Better known for his work at K-Disc and for Rhino.

WLY= Wally Traugott who is a forum favorite. Always does superb work.

Do remember that this recording is a UK made recording, the UK issues will be from lower generation source materials. Most better US issues are fine though, just not to that level and often on more noisy vinyl. Same goes for Wish You Were Here. As a rule UK, West German, and Japanese are for me the best on most Pink Floyd. US originals can still be worthwhile listening. The US original of the Wall is easily the best US Pink Floyd on vinyl because the album was actually mastered here.

11. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

12. Myke

That's a question for Vernon Fitch. :laugh: I got mine from Timtunz in Texas...he was selling off his vinyl, and there it was on his spreadsheet.

Vernon does have a 2nd pressing for sale here : http://rac.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/PFCS/PFCS.htm

Pink Floyd – Wish You Were Here [Russia – 1992 issue]
    Catalog Number: Antrop / "P" 91 00213/14, 32395/96
    Matrix Information: C90-32395/3-1 H / C90-32396/3-1 H
    Comments: Russian issue. 1992 pressing. Label variation #1.
    Cover Condition: VG+
    Label Condition: M
    Record Condition (sound): VG+
    Price: $60

13. Sam

Sam Senior Member

:thumbsup: Yep, this version is great.

14. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Ah yes, sorry, it was late and I was misremembering. :shh: There is the car door/engine sound at the END of Welcome To The Machine, but the factory sound at the beginning is the one I meant to describe. It's sounded different to me even between different US cuttings. The US cuts all tended to sound like a WHOMP, as opposed to sounding like a THUD. Not that there was a different sound effect inserted, just a side effect of using a set of tape dubs to master from perhaps?

15. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

I have a `70`s French Harvest that sounded identical to the German Harvest (I had both for a while). Both excellent, meaty while retaining the highs.

16. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

Is this blue vinyl?

17. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Re: the CBS Half Speed. I have the 4353 - it sounds good, have not heard the previous version.

My fave is the original UK vinyl (if you can find a quiet copy). Next best is an original Japan LP.

18. quicksilverbudie

Holland (Dutch) pressing black vinyl....

side 1
    69618-A3-C
    side 2
    69618-B4-C

black vinyl.... I have had the CBS half-speed first version '81 and second version '82 and still prefer the Dutch copy I have.....I sold the '82 version years ago. Compared to the Dutch vinyl , I find the CBS half-speed a bit dry compared to the tube/like qualities of the Dutch pressing IMO> .

sean

19. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I don't know if this is the pressing I had, but I bought it brand new within a week or so of its release, and the damn thing was totally rice crispies.

Wet-vacuum cleaning didn't help so I dumped it... :cry:

20. laynecobain

laynecobain Active Member

Which one comes with the post card? I have that one and the post card. Sounds great.

21. orchidze

orchidze Forum Resident

OMG!!!
    Please stop this!

All those Antrop LPs are CD souced.
    By the way they are pirates.

If you want a collectible item, you can spend $60, but quality of the cover is #hit. Those Antrop LPs cost nothing here, I mean really nothing, because everybody knows they're trash.

Choba b CCCP likes this.
  22. lordvader

lordvader Forum Resident

I was listening to a beat up UK 1st press just the other day (can't remember the exact stamper), and FRIGGIN' loved it !!!

Seriously noisy, but the music just flew above and beyond the noise.

23. beavy

beavy Forum Resident

I have 6 different versions of this album on vinyl (and several CDs) and my favourite is the CBS half-speed mastered LP with matrix numbers HAL 33453-2AF respectively HBL-33453-3F although they all sound really good except one Jugoton pressing

24. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I can verify that the 43453 is outstanding. I haven't heard the 33453.

25. Myke

Same dealio here.