Deftones - Ohms - New album 25th September

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by englishbob, Sep 23, 2020.

1. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023 Thread Starter

[​IMG]

New album out this Friday. Normally I'd have pre-ordered this as a long term supporter of the band, but I haven't really rated the 2 tracks released up-front, so I'm going to give it a listen first before buying this time. I still believe the band has a fantastic masterpiece up their sleeve at some point, but this might not be it.

Would be happy to hear from anyone who picks up the vinyl edition (the CD would just be too crazy loud and fatiguing to listen to, as most are these days).

2. englishbob

3. englishbob

I see that the vinyl version has been issued in black and gold pressings in the UK/Europe. Of course it is an extra £2 to get the different colour over black. This sort of crap boils my p**s and why vinyl will end up dying off again.

https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/deftones/ohms/lp

4. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

I ordered the deluxe edition of the LP from the official shop. I’m really looking forward to it as I liked what I heard on the initial single release. The second single sounded good, but I liked the initial ideas in the song more than where they ended up, if that makes sense.

Loved Koi No Yokan, liked Gore. I just got a shipping notification, but it’s coming UPS sure post, so it’ll be a while before it gets here.

jboersma and englishbob like this.
  5. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

On my third full listen of this...WOW!

Incredible comeback after the disappointing Gore.

I wasn't in love on the first pass, but this is a quick grower.

6. englishbob

The usual generic CD sound of today. If the masses have switched to streaming, just who are they mastering these discs for?

foobar2000 1.4 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2020-09-24 13:30:54
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Deftones / Ohms
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR4 0.00 dB -5.58 dB 5:17 01-Genesis
    DR5 0.00 dB -6.73 dB 3:28 02-Ceremony
    DR4 0.00 dB -5.02 dB 4:30 03-Urantia
    DR5 0.00 dB -6.16 dB 4:50 04-Error
    DR5 0.00 dB -6.51 dB 5:28 05-The Spell of Mathematics
    DR5 0.00 dB -7.97 dB 5:26 06-Pompeji
    DR5 0.00 dB -6.70 dB 4:37 07-This Link Is Dead
    DR5 0.00 dB -5.29 dB 3:35 08-Radiant City
    DR5 0.00 dB -6.63 dB 4:59 09-Headless
    DR5 0.00 dB -5.54 dB 4:10 10-Ohms
    Number of tracks: 10
    Official DR value: DR5
    Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 16
    Bitrate: 1027 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

stef1205, pexie, musictoad and 3 others like this.
  7. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

If I was king, "Error" would be the next single.

8. miller_time22

miller_time22 Forum Resident

One listen in so far and my initial impression is that this a very strong album. When the band is on, it feels like each member is adding something unique and interesting to the mix and that alchemy certainly seems present here.

VH3FAN, Pop_Zeus, minkahed and 2 others like this.
  9. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I really liked Gore, a great record that seems to be underrated by many.

I didn’t love the first released single, but “Genesis” is an incredibly heavy track. Looking forward to listening to the whole album this weekend.

pexie and Pop_Zeus like this.
  10. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum

Cool. Haven’t dug anything they’ve put out since Diamond Eyes which was to me a surprise ‘return to quality’ after self titled and SNW, which I’ve since learned to enjoy. DE is probably my favorite LP in their catalog along with ATF and WP.

Excited to give is a spin tomorrow when it drops on streaming. Genesis is pretty good but didn’t care for the first single much. Would love to hear take some the various LPs. I guess the limited Gore is way better than the problematic standard issue. That’s the only LP of theirs I don’t have. Some sound outstanding, Diamond Eyes in particular.

11. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

Just digging in, found the songs in Spotify. To be perfectly honest I couldn't stand Gore, but have been a big fan since White Pony. Excited to grab this tomorrow on vinyl if I can sneak out to the local.

12. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Well this is a surprise. I was excited but wasn’t expecting to be blown away. This is their best since White Pony imo

The Spell Of Mathematics is the greatest thing I’ve heard from them.

pexie, musictoad, Pop_Zeus and 2 others like this.
  13. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

You didn’t even like Koi No Yokan? It had that great track “Goon Squad”.

I will agree that Diamond Eyes is and was exceptional.

I did get the double white vinyl Gore still sealed for $10. It sounds great. I think people need to give that record another spin.

Pop_Zeus, benzo and xfilian like this.
  14. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

White Pony? Diamond Eyes? Saturday Night Wrist?

15. miguelfcp

miguelfcp Well-Known Member

Those numbers are pretty bad, as usual....

How is the vinyl?

16. dloew

dloew Forum Resident

Loved the first 3 Deftones albums (a lot), but haven't really been a fan of anything since. Each album after White Pony to me was overall mediocre with some great tracks sprinkled in. I still consistently listen to those first 3 albums but the rest don't really get more listens from me outside of when they first came out.

There isn't any one in particular I'd say is bad or i hate, just they didn't seem to have that magic i remember from early Deftones. Even Gore i don't dislike as much as other fans seem to, it just in the end isn't that memorable to me after listening to it quite a bit.

That said, I'm really digging this new one :) Needs many more listens, but I think strongest since White Pony so far... Ordered the vinyl, i hope it sounds good.

theMot and miller_time22 like this.
  17. Benjy

Benjy Forum Resident

I love this new deftones record already after just one listen. I suppose it is more accessible than gore, which took me a while to appreciate.

18. domesticmachine

agreed. Spotify messed up the sequence when I hit ‘play album’ which is annoying as I thought Link was a killer lead off track. Whatever. Digging in again! I like this the first time round a lot more than Gore or Koi.

intrigued on reviews or even just pressing info on the standard or gold Indie version as my local shop has them in stock. I assume with RSD tomorrow they won’t be around long.

19. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

Shoot, I heard a couple of tracks this morning and I'm really diggin it !!!

I also heard a radio interview with Chino and Of course he seemed very optimistic about this release so I will as well.

UlisesLima and Denim Chicken like this.
  20. cosplusisin

cosplusisin Forum Resident

I've only listened once so far. When work settles down I'll listen some more. My first impression is that this is one of their best. Like, they are on fire. Exciting time to be a deftones fan.

21. domesticmachine

Discogs lists the Indie Shop gold color LP as being cut by Chris Bellman. That’s a good sign!

englishbob and Chrome_Head like this.
  22. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

Wow local sold out of the vinyl and Amazon looks like back order for 1 to 2 months. Nice.

23. theMot

theMot Forum Resident

I think it’s a good safe album but since Diamond eyes i think they have been really stagnant. I have been left with this feeling of I wish they would change it up a bit more.

Benjy and englishbob like this.
  24. domesticmachine

Mine too in Portland. A few shops online were sold out too. I picked up one from Newbury. Hope it ships.

25. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

The new album is AMAZING !!
    I literally played it a dozen times today.

So mad that i can't get the special magazin/clear vinyl that they had on their website though.
    I guess i was too slow to get it.

Hopefully i'll see it for sale at a decent price someday...ugh

pexie, Benjy, Chrome_Head and 3 others like this.