Degritter Users

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WntrMute2, Jun 30, 2019.

1. WntrMute2

WntrMute2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a unit from Degritter on order and am waiting for some upgraded parts to arrive at the "factory" to be incorporated in my unit. I'm wondering if anyone other than the Beta testers have received their units and are using them? Any initial feedback or thoughts? I'm not against hearing from the B-testers but would value other opinions.

2. Squiggsy68

Squiggsy68 Forum Resident

I have one bought as a Production Unit (that is, I wasn't one of the Beta testers) - received around 2 months ago.

Very happy with it so far - have settled on a 'Medium' cleaning program with a 3:30 minute drying time and that seems to strike the right balance. I add 1ml of the supplied proprietary fluid to each tank of water and again that seems to work fine, doesn't appear to leave a residue or 'gunk' on stylus after playing.

The only thing that was a bit annoying was that I had to pause my batch of cleaning on Saturday to wait for the water to cool down - but then it's a safety feature they've built in to prevent damage to records so can't really quibble. It was an unusually (for now, anyway - let's see what happens in future!!) hot day on Saturday (around 32 celcius) for where I live which I guess contributed to that. On previous weeks that didn't happen at all.

I did buy a spare tank so it would be possible to swap tanks every 3 or 4 records and let the water in the other tank cool down - but then that would mean using up two lots of distilled water (which is a lot more expensive in the UK than in the US - and the Degritter advice is definitely NOT to use de-ionised water as an alternative) and working on the basis of say 40 records per tank, and that the advice is that the tank should be emptied at least weekly then that's not really convenient - not sure I can be certain to clean 80 records per week at 7 minutes per time.

But that's my only quibble - I also have a Loricraft PRC4 which is a great machine in its own right (and maybe what I need to use in hot weather...!!!) but the convenience factor (and size difference) of the Degritter is a huge benefit. I'm not sure that the Degritter cleans that much better than the Loricraft as that's very good to start with but I'm certainly very happy with the results. With the Loricraft I was cleaning a maximum of 6 records (both sides) per hour, generally nearer 5, with the settings I'm using on the Degritter I'm at 8 per hour, so that's a bonus too.

I might experiment with using the L'Art du Son cleaner that I was using in the Loricraft in the Degritter - they do say not to use a 'foaming' cleaner in the Degritter and I can't find a consensus on the web about whether or not L'Art du Son works well in Ultrasonic machines.

Cleaning the filter is quick and easy - and it's reassuring in a way to see the dirt that it's obviously catching during the process. As I said earlier, very happy overall with the Degritter as a overall package.

3. Squiggsy68

Just a quick note - I've seen over on the forum at Discogs that the Degritter guys have released a software update (v1.60) which now incorporates a water cooling cycle if necessary - so the only issue I had (and it was a minor one) looks like it's being / been resolved. Will download the update over next couple of days.

Which of course highlights something else about the machine, it's updateable with software releases via an SD card.

Satrus and jusbe like this.
  4. WntrMute2

Thanks. That's just the kind of information I was looking for.

Squiggsy68 likes this.
  5. dharmabumstead

dharmabumstead Forum Resident

I'm wondering: how's it stack up against the Klaudio?

6. Squiggsy68

Might need to ask someone in another territory - in the UK the Degritter is around £2,370 including shipping at current exchange rates.

The Klaudio costs £5,998 from the UK dealers that have it (which seems an extortionate mark-up over the US price, but there you go). Hence it was never even in my thoughts at that price.

I had to think twice (actually, a lot more than twice) about the Degritter given that my Loricraft PRC4 is a perfectly good machine. But having had it a few weeks, the automation of the process and the fact I can get more records cleaned in the same time makes me feel like it was a good buy. I'll still keep the Loricraft as a back-up, but that's no reflection on the Degritter, which so far is excellent.

Something like the Kirmuss was never in my plans - I wanted less manual intervention than the Loricraft, not more!!

7. degritter_taniel

degritter_taniel Active Member

Hi, my name is Taniel and I am the CEO of the Degritter company.
    I am glad to see this Forum thread about our machine and it is also great to see our machine owners vouching for us in here :). If you have any questions that you cannot get an answer for then feel free to contact us at [email protected]

We just released additional improvements to the software. Version 1.6.1 with a change log is now available at our Support Center Support - Degritter

Your machine will leave us on this Friday the latest if it has not already.

hifisoup, jonwoody, macster and 5 others like this.
  8. WntrMute2

I received my shipping notice this morning. Thanks Taniel!

9. MattHooper

MattHooper Forum Resident

I own a production Degritter and it works as advertised. Very easy and intuitive to use, looks nice, makes washing records almost fun, not a chore. I just pop in a record and go do something else while the machine cleans.

Audire, SME12A and bloodlemons like this.
  10. WntrMute2

My unit is scheduled to arrive Thursday if it doesn't get held up in customs.

Squiggsy68 likes this.
  11. WntrMute2

Hey Matt, what fluid or additives are you using? How about times/settings? What is working for you?

12. sadcaper

sadcaper Well-Known Member

Did you receive your unit? Just curious how it's working for you. I'm debating getting one so trying to gather as much information as possible. Currently have an Okki Nokki RCM, but not really satisfied with the results.

13. WntrMute2

I'm digging mine! For instance, I bought 12 second hand records Saturday morning and by Sunday they were all cleaned, dried and listened to. I use the supplied fluid at 2mls per resevior. I have an occasional fingerprint remain and just run it through a second time but that is rare.
    Twice the software got the machine filling and draining without washing but unplugging the machine for a few minutes got things working easily again.
    This was one of the best audio purchased I've made. The KL was just too expensive and I believe have ceased to be produced. The AD was also too expensive and seemed fragile as well as difficult to obtain ervice if needed. We will see how Degritter handles service but they are very helpful via email so far. A great addition to my enjoyment!

VinylRob and Mok like this.
  14. sadcaper

Great to hear. I love the automation of the unit. Cleaning with the Okki Nokki becomes very labor intensive. I am worried the Degritter isn't necessarily built for cleaning whole collections, but perhaps I'm wrong? I'd want to clean all of my records in my collection and I fear it could take quite some time. Did the "water cooling" phase come into play when you cleaned your 12 records? I'm just worried it will take FOREVER to clean my collection with the Degritter, but since it's more automated perhaps it won't be as big of a deal as I'm thinking.

15. WntrMute2

So, I can clean 4 records per hour. I usually clean a few a day which is far more on average than I did without the Degritter. Additionally, I can play records or do something else while this is going on. I am slowly getting through my newly arrived section of 700 records. The cooling function comes on for a few minutes after the third or fourth record cleaned back to back. Then repeats every third or fourth. Cooling interups the cleaning but restarts automatically without intervention.

Drew769 likes this.
  16. sadcaper

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I'd guess I can clean about twice that amount with my RCM, but again, it's highly labor intensive. So there is some value in how automated this process is with the Degritter. Also, the ultrasonic clean SHOULD be "better" than my vacuum RCM, right? At least theoretically. :) Thanks!

17. WntrMute2

I'm sure I CAN clean more than 4 per hour with my VPI 16.5 but the important question is how many DO I clean day in and day out? Do I think that the Degritter will run 8 hours a day non-stop until a 5,000 record collection is cleaned? I'm not sure. Does it seem like it will clean 10 to 15 records a day for years? I believe so. I'll keep you posted. The records are at least as clean as my VPI but not better but then again I had a very intense cleaning process.

VinylRob likes this.
  18. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

Damn, it looks great. Love how compact and uncomplicated it looks. Slightly regretting my recent purchase of a Loricraft now, wish I'd seen this first.

19. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

Just ordered one. Disappointed with my Audio Desk so am looking to replace it. Told to expect in about 4 weeks... anticipation rising...

20. IronRinn

IronRinn Forum Resident

Very interesting product. Less interesting: raising the price $400 with every new batch. Current price is $3000; nearly AD territory. There a ceiling on the price or is it just sky's the limit?

21. Squiggsy68

I continue to be very happy with mine - no problems at all in use, reliable, does what it's meant to do and all in a 'hands off' manner.

The firmware upgrades have all been sensible and genuinely improved the functionality. Am getting to the point that I think I might well sell my Loricraft (PRC4) as I haven't had any cause to use it since I got the Degritter. Not entirely sure what the s/h market is like sales wise, and the Loricraft would also be a bit of a beast to ship - even allowing for the fact that I kept the original box & packaging.

22. Bug Me Not

Bug Me Not Forum Resident

Please do let us know how they compare. I am facing the same problem.

23. dharmabumstead

dharmabumstead Forum Resident

I’m really wondering how the Degritter stacks up against the Klaudio...

24. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

UPS tracking has the Degritter arriving next Wednesday, so not too long to wait...

robert perry likes this.
  25. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

I was lucky to buy my KLaudio in December 2014 from an importer in France and I got it for a very acceptable price bearing in mind that it is an imported product. I had a wry smile when I saw that Absolute Sounds in Wimbledon secured the distribution rights for the U.K. later the following year, iirc. You just knew that the price would ‘skyrocket’ for U.K. customers! I spoke with the Degritter people at High End, Munich in May this year. Michael Fremer presented himself at the Degritter stand right at that time so we all engaged in a very worthwhile discussion. The Degritter is a unit that I am keeping an ‘eye on’. Good to hear that you are getting along well with your unit!

Tommyboy and Squiggsy68 like this.