Degritter Users

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WntrMute2, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Johncan

Johncan Always learning

Electric burnt odor is not good. My smelled like that when the ultrasonics stopped working.

2. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Hey Madrac - No, have not changed the water yet - I was going to run a few more cleans first as I want to make the most of the water solution. I'll see if it continues to smell - have already e-mailed Aleks - Just hope this doesn't mean a fourth unit for me - truly ridiculous if so as between all three units, I have probably cleaned about 150 LP's!!! :realmad:

3. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I am having a hard time understanding what is going on where you are on your 3rd machine (which appears to be going through similar issues of the previous 2)

4. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Different issues - The first machine leaked on me - The second machine kept giving me the issue with the "Add Water" error message, which after the fact, was probably due to an issue with the water tank and not the unit itself. Now this third one, seems to be heating a little quicker all of a sudden (I think) during usage and I am smelling an electrical burning smell from the water tank area where the water sits, but not the area where the LP is cleaned. Not sure what this means for this machine but like I said, I have reached out to Degritter and will see what they advise.

Does anyone smell anything similar in their tanks? If the ultrasonics are not working, would the water not be heating up to a higher level or could it still be an issue? How can I tell if the unit is not actually cleaning due to failed ultrasonics?

It seems to be working well otherwise from what I can tell - hearing all the usual sounds from when the ultrasonic cleaning kicks in and filling/draining the water working flawlessly. Maybe the odor has always been there and I am overthinking this??

@madrac I'll report back when I switch out the water to see if the same odor is there but this seems new to me which if the ultrasonics have stopped working, is a little disheartening given the incredibly low usage.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
  5. madrac

madrac Forum Resident

@VinBob
    thanks. Hope you get it sorted. If the ultrasonics aren't working, you'd get no temp increase (or perhaps very very little) and wouldn't trigger a cooling cycle whilst washing.
    Also, think you may have asked about firmware, nothing more recent than 2020 for my unit (as I recall 2.2.17v10)

VinBob likes this.
  6. edwyun

edwyun Forum Resident

The water does smell a little electrical (electrolysis as in high school science class) but not burnt electrical.

VinBob likes this.
  7. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Thanks - Maybe I am smelling the same thing and there is no issue :confused: it certainly smells electrical for sure... I just don't remember it from the past but maybe I never really went looking like I did now given the weird high pitch screeching noise heard when the water was being pulled into the machine which then gave the 'Add Water' error immediately draining after. It seems to be working just fine now and maybe I should just stop smelling the water :laugh:

Will be interesting to see what Degritter say and will let you all know...

8. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Thanks for the confirmations. I assumed the unit should still be doing its job given the temp increasing from was to wash but the smell from the water got me thinking...

9. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

You have to keep the vacuum machine lips clean. I have a VPI 16.5 and I rinse/clean the velvet lips before all cleaning sessions and several times during longer sessions.

r.Din likes this.
  10. madrac

madrac Forum Resident

@VinBob good idea...stop smelling the water! Instead, as Spinal Tap said, smell the glove :)

recstar24 and VinBob like this.
  11. hitmanhart408

hitmanhart408 Forum Resident

Even if the machine is cleaning, you shouldn't be going into cool down mode after 2 medium cycles. I can do multiple medium cycles (4-5? never counted) before cooling kicks in. On the other hand, 2 high cycles.. forget about it

12. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

I'll try it again and see - I think I got the cooling down after the third clean but certainly not after 4/5 Medium cleans - I think what also affects things, is room temperature. Maybe my room was too warm (probably no warmer than say 74f - I'll keep an eye on it and see what Degritter also has to say about that...

13. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

:righton: :laugh:

14. orange5o

orange5o Forum Resident

Was going to wait for the next model but have been told it won't be released until May 2023...

edwyun likes this.
  15. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Just to report back - Degritter working well and the smell is not so bad. Aleks got back to me and said the slight electrical smell was normal and that the Ultrasonic transducers can get quite warm inside and can emit smell from the small amount of manufacturing residue that may be left on them. Over time this will vent out and be less of an issue.

So all in all, nothing to worry about and nicely going through the collection in getting a truck load of LPs clean for when I can finally play them mid to late August !!

edwyun, 5-String and madrac like this.
  16. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

The reference model

The concept machine will become a new addition in the Degritter line up and it will become our reference model. The exact features and visuals will be released in the Fall this year and the timeline is following:

• May 2022 - concept of the reference model displayed.
    • Fall 2022 - the reference model will have exact specifications and visuals set.
    • May 2023 - the reference model will be on sale.
    We are currently evolving the concept of the machine into a final prototype that will be the basis for the production. Unfortunately, the production set up will take longer than we initially estimated as a lot of the manufacturing and logistical pipelines in the world are still in disarray.

The retail price for the reference model will be 7000 USD and there will be a trade-up program available for the current Degritter owners. Our goal with the premium reference model is to see what improvements are possible in the realm of record cleaning and with an even smaller scale production than the regular Degritter machines, this pushes up the price.

The above is a direct transcription of an email from Degritter, received a short while ago. It seems that the new Reference Model will be priced similarly to the 're-designed' KLaudio model. Apologies if any of this has been posted previously.

17. Bigdz68

Bigdz68 Forum Resident

I like the idea of a trade up. Thanks for sharing!

edwyun likes this.
  18. MattHooper

MattHooper Forum Resident

Yup, the "electrical burnt" smell happened to me. I started posting about it here:

Degritter Users

a bit more info on my trouble-shooting here:

Degritter Users

I have to send it back to Degritter. (I just can't afford to right now).

19. drmoss_ca

drmoss_ca Vinyl Cleaning Fiend

I would not pay $7kUSD ($9025CDN) to have an extra tank and perhaps some other benefits.

20. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

Yeah, that's very much in the wrong direction...

Vinyl_Lover and 5-String like this.
  21. madrac

madrac Forum Resident

agreed.

22. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Thanks for the feedback. Luckily, I don't seem to be having the same issue as you have. I can only slightly smell the electrical odor when I actually stick my nose above the water tank (cover off) which is to be expected per Degritter and seems to be getting better as they had suggested. However, I do wonder how long I'll be able to go without a failed component to deal with - hopefully, not before I have cleaned by 1200 or so LPs whilst still in warranty!!

23. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

This week I was cleaning with 5 ml of AI solution and 3 drops of Groovewasher G-Sonic ultrasonic concentrate (they recommend 10 drops a gallon).
    Wetting was improved on par with 10 drops of Degritter liquid. Cleaning quality actually great, but as usual hard for me to compare. One thing I found-before I could see some "stuck" pieces (large) of dirt (dust) after cleaning in Degritter, but not any more. I also wiff a record with antistatic fan before cleaning, dunno if it helps. None of the records is really dirty to begin with, as they were precleared before (with various success) on RCM.

24. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

This is the Furutech Destat? No idea if it helps pre-clean with the actual clean, but I have a static measuring device and can confirm at least that the Furutech, which I also use, works extremely well at removing static charge. As does the Milty, when used properly, but it's so fiddly to use. The Furutech is so easy.

25. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Nope, it is desktop antistatic (+ and -) ionizing fan. Cheap version (~$100), but it is not for running 8 hours a day like $500 professional version. Takes one second to completely destat the record. I cannot use Zerostat with my bad hands any more.
    [​IMG]

r.Din likes this.