Degritter Users

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WntrMute2, Jun 30, 2019.

1. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Does anyone know where are the transducers located?
    Are they behind the buttons on the right of the machine or on the left?

2. madrac

madrac Forum Resident

Don't know for sure, but there are two on each side (4 total). My assumption is 1 behind the buttons/knobs on the left side, 1 on the right side same distance from edge as the one on the left, and 2 on the back (across from the 2 on the front).

3. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Thanks.
    The reason I am asking is that if I look with a flashlight from the top I can see the water agitated on the left of the machine, left as you look at the machine next to the buttons but not much is going on in the water on the right side behind the two buttons.
    Maybe I am getting paranoid but I had been wondering about this for quite some time now.

4. madrac

madrac Forum Resident

OK. Next time I have some records to wash, I'll take a look into mine and see where the water is being agitated. Not sure if they'll tell you, but have you asked Degritter about the location of the transducers?

5-String likes this.
  5. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Not yet, but I can shoot them an email later today.

6. pacvr

pacvr Forum Resident

The fluid agitation you see may be the surface skimmer pick-up (suction) from the pump/filtration system. Generally, at the kHz ultrasonics you will not see fluid agitation - the ultrasonics can cause a shimmering type effect. If you see bubbles, that can just be degas (initial uze) or the pump/filtration systems is sucking in air (low surface level).

madrac and 5-String like this.
  7. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

"Shimmering" might be a much better term instead of "agitation" for what I am trying to describe.
    In any case, there is some activity in the water on the left side of the internal tank and not much on the right behind the buttons.
    I am just curious about this, that's all.

I have no problems with my machine, I mean, it cleans great, the temperature rises as it should, so absolutely no problems whatsoever, so far.

madrac likes this.
  8. mike_c

mike_c Forum Resident

I’m just about to hit the 300 cycle mark on my Degritter and am planning to do a deep clean using IPA and distilled vinegar, as per the guidance from the manufacturer. Is there a particular percentage IPA that is recommended, or does it matter? I’m aware that ‘rubbing’ alcohol is not recommended. Thanks!

9. Duane Spencer

Duane Spencer New Member

Before getting the Degritter, I used a home made ultra sonic system. 6L tank and the Vinyl Stack. I had the heat set to 40C and never experienced warping of a record.

Nephrodoc likes this.
  10. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

I wonder what was unique about your setup such that warping never occurred? That would be valuable information to other machine manufacturers ;)

11. MOON

MOON Forum Resident

I looked at my Degritter during cleaning and degas. It appears as others have mentioned that on the left of the machine there is greater movement of the water than on the right side during both cleaning and degas. If you shine a bright light in during degas it is readily apparent.

My temperatures are going up and records are coming out beautiful cleaned.

5-String likes this.
  12. orange5o

orange5o Forum Resident

About 2 weeks. I'm doing 25 discs with fluid, changing water, 25 more. Then I pit some dw in, let it degas, change water again, change filter, then do all 50 in two sets of water, on to the next batch. Going back and forth on tanks every disc seems like a waste of time unless I get through the whole collection and just doing one at a time. About 1/6 of the way through, and everything has already been through the record doctor with super record wash followed by the pure record rinse as that was my previous routine. Hoping this leaves me with no concerns about whether they can get better.

13. orange5o

orange5o Forum Resident

I notice that when I have more foam than usual it does this on the left, it is being pushed up by the fan that is used for the drying cycle I think.

5-String likes this.
  14. Duane Spencer

Duane Spencer New Member

Sent an email to Degritter support asking about the cooling water cycle kicking in at, on average, 32c vs. the stated 35c and hope to get a reply.

In the mean time, I purchased some small ice packs and started the cleaning with them in the tank. I used 2 and the results were better. Did 4 records at the Medium mode + drying time of 3 min. I read the temp in the INFO window after each cleaning and the temp was lower than it was without the ice packs.
    Did the same at te Quick mode a day later using the ices packs and it got through 10 records with only the fan continuing to run after the 8th record. No cooling water cycle ever kicked in because the tank temp never got above 29c.

Have not tried the Heavy mode as yet with the ice packs.

15. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

How many records are you guys doing all at once? I think the most I’ve ever done is a 2x45rpm LP - I guess I’ve never ran into issues simply because I clean whatever I feel like listening to. I’m reading comments about cleaning 10-15 records at a time, holy smokes make sure you guys are listening to more records then cleaning!

5-String likes this.
  16. Johncan

Johncan Always learning

I clean 10 to 20 a day. I have a lot of records. I have cleaned more than 3,000 in a Degritter so far.

ellingtonic likes this.
  17. orange5o

orange5o Forum Resident

I think most people are getting this with the intent to clean an entire collection, and then hopefully just be done other than when there are new purchases. No?

18. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I do not clean records except those that I am about to play if they need cleaning.
    That means that I clean 1-2 records on the average every day or every other day or every couple of days.
    I got my Degritter in December and I have done around 160 cleanings.

recstar24 likes this.
  19. madrac

madrac Forum Resident

That's what I did - got my Degritter and cleaned my entire collection (~1100) over a couple of months. Now, I just clean new purchases or if a previously cleaned lp needs a touch up.

Lowgroove, orange5o and Nephrodoc like this.
  20. mike_c

mike_c Forum Resident

Yeah, this is exactly my intent. Start at the beginning of the collection, clean about 4-6 records per day, on average...until I eventually get through the whole collection. Hopefully within the 2 year warranty period... :)

21. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

same. I just don’t have the time to be focused on cleaning 10-20 records a day, so I’m a true “clean to listen” user. I figure I’ll eventually listen to everything at some point (maybe? Lol). I’ll admit I have a pretty modest vinyl collection compared to most

5-String likes this.
  22. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

That doesn’t necessarily affect the sound though. Like you, I’ve had my fair share of records that have bag rash and no matter what I tried I couldn’t remove it. That being said, in most cases, it won’t cause surface noise, or at least in my experience.

pacvr likes this.
  23. Richard Milam

Richard Milam Well-Known Member

I've been using a Kirmuss for some time plus have the Pro-Ject VC-X2 vacuum machine. I have added a Degritter and have been doing a lot of playing the last few weeks, trying combinations. The vast majority of LP's I've used were cleaned with the Kirmuss so it's not like they were "dirty". I've had mixed result using the vacuum machine for precleaning, largely dependent on the fluid used. I was also more than a little hesitant about the air dry. I use a very weak solution of Tegrikleen brushed on the surface then a medium clean cycle. Then I change tanks to an only distilled water that I keep fresh. The air drying has not caused any issue, largely I suspect because there aren't many contaminants left on the record after the rinse. If this is the way I choose to go I will buy a third tank and do a quick cycle with Lab Grade I water, as I'm accustomed to doing. Thanks for all the feedback. I did discover that overdoing the TegriKleen (which includes recommended concentration) can leave "grunge" even after a rinse cycle.

24. As someone who is looking to upgrade from the Kirmuss, I am interested in your continued findings as you tweak the process. Please continue to report back!

25. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

I also now use the Kirmuss as part of my process. It's a great cleaner. No need to bother with the "Kirmuss method" however. Just use surfactant of choice (or none at all) and let the machine run for 5-7 minutes per record. I start with vacuum RCM, then into Kirmuss and finally onto the Degritter for a quick rinse and dry in distilled water.