Degritter Users

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WntrMute2, Jun 30, 2019.

1. drmoss_ca

drmoss_ca Vinyl Cleaning Fiend

Strangely enough, the Degritter works on other albums too, not just DSOTM! :p

2. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Question for y’all - what’s your method for cleaning your water tank? I usually just rinse out with tap water, use a little vinegar to take care of the funk, rinse, spray with distilled water, and let it dry. I’ll occasionally pop it in the dishwasher by itself (only have done this twice), but fear the heat could lead to warpage (even if on top rack). You may recall I recently got a replacement water tank under warranty because my old one was starting to develop internal micro cracks (non leaking, but wanted to play it safe)

3. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

I just wash it with a warm tap water every week when I change my cleaning liquid, and once a month a fill it partially with isopropyl alco plus hot water. This hot (and badly smelling) cocktail after standing for a minute or 2 removes all the "soapy stuff". Degritter confirmed that tank is safe for alco cleaning.

recstar24 likes this.
  4. drmoss_ca

drmoss_ca Vinyl Cleaning Fiend

Running water and a dishwashing brush reserved for the job.

recstar24 likes this.
  5. elvismcdouglas

elvismcdouglas Forum Resident

I am tempted. I've worked hard for what seems like forever learning to manually clean and revive my records. For years I used The Disc Doctor brushes (and solution), and then I discovered Spin-Clean, which can get an impressive amount of crap, gunk, and dirt out of a record. Dying to see if a Degritter can take these already cleaned records to another level....

Last edited: Feb 17, 2023
  6. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

Usually just a hot water rinse, but every month I put it in the top rack of the dishwasher by itself. I do not "dry" it in the dishwasher, since I am afraid the heat will not be good for it and just air dry.

recstar24 likes this.
  7. SpinIt

SpinIt Musicphile

It can. It’s where I came from, and I got massive improvement with the Degritter on say 1/4 records that had been through the Spin-Clean. By the way the Spin-Clean, if used correctly, is not bad at all. I still use it occasionally as a pre-wash device when theres a lot of surfaces smudges and finger prints at which the Degritter is not so good.

elvismcdouglas likes this.
  8. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

thank you! On my previous water tank I let it go through a full cycle including drying. Just want to make sure I don’t mess up my current one, haha. Doing just the rinse cycle and air drying sounds like a plan.

neubian likes this.
  9. Zurg

Zurg Well-Known Member

Hey Guys

I just received an email from Degritter, my machine as developed a leak underneath the machine, I tried to fix it but it seems like a persistent issue. This is my third time getting in touch with degritter regarding some problems. First I had an issue with ultrasonic transducers that failed after around a year of use and 700-800 records cleaned as I remember. Degritter has issued a replacement, no questions asked. Then my screen has developed vertical lines and colour has faded that it was barely visible. Degritter got in touch and sent me replacement parts and detailed instruction on how to replace the screen. It all went well and I continued to use it for another 8 months. Now after almost a year and 900 records I developed a leak, its been happening since October last year. Using machine is not causing any problems, but degritter decided to replace the machine for me again, I think these guys have one of the best customer service in industry.

I also decided to find out about MARK2 machine and the price. Degritter has quoted me 1200 euros to upgrade from MARK1 with their trade in program. So here comes the elephant in the room, since my machine is faulty and I'm getting a new replacement, which costs exactly the same as MARK2 at least in Europe, should I ask them to upgrade me automatically? or that is a cheeky move ??

SpinIt and gabbleratchet7 like this.
  10. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

No harm in asking. And for the time and inconvenience you've experienced, it wouldn't be a bad way to go on their part.

11. SME12A

SME12A Takumi forever

If Degritter offers $1200 upgrade in US, I will be the first in line. I have close to 1150 runs on mine, many in heavy mode, with no issues whatsoever. Unit is 1.5 year old.

12. Ramiro Orta

Ramiro Orta Well-Known Member

Yes, I spent about 8 months going back and forth, watching every YouTube review and reading every post on different forums across the internet. I finally decided that my record collection deserved ultrasonic cleaning. I am very happy I did it and have absolutely no regrets spending the money. The difference is incredible.

elvismcdouglas and SME12A like this.
  13. Ramiro Orta

I have a question for Degritter users with two tanks: I ordered my Degritter with two tanks and just received the 2nd one yesterday. I saw a video where someone used a two-tank process with the Degritter and once the wash was completed on the record, the Degritter menu window said "Change Tanks", the person exchanged the tank and the Degritter finished the rinse and drying. I can't find how to do this. Does anyone know how to program your Degritter like this? If not, how do you do a two tank process with your Degritter? Thanks in advance!

14. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

@pacvr quick update on our last convo here re: tergitol. I’ve backed off from 2 drops to 1 drop with the Nalgene dropper. The foam was a bit much on the 2 drops, and the wetting was absolutely insane to the point where it was getting sloppy and almost dripping onto label, not fully drying off the deadwax with a number of droplets left, and foam.

1 drop looks and behaves more normally and still getting plenty of sheeting and happy with the wetting visually. My follow up question is, I use your manual process with alconox liquinox and tergitol already for my used records before putting into degritter, should I just omit the tergitol step since I’m using tergitol in the degritter water tank?

15. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

There should be a menu option that allows you to turn on the additional rinse step IF you’ve installed the latest software. When turned on, it will prompt you in middle of cycle when to switch tanks.

16. You need to update the software if you don’t see the rinse option in the menu.

17. Ramiro Orta

I have the latest software (2.3.6 v10). I turned to Rinse and it had the option to turn on that feature. I wish they would have mentioned it on their support page to make it easier to find. It's cool, I have it now!

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  18. Ramiro Orta

I do have the latest software and it does have the Rinse feature on it. I guess I should have looked more carefully and downloaded the manual for the proper version. They had clear instructions on how to use the two tank feature. I have to listen to my wife more and READ all the instructions! Thanks all for your help!

recstar24 and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  19. Ramiro Orta

$1200 would be great, but they are offering $1700 upgrade price for the MKII for the entire 2023 year: Trade-in programme for MARK I - Degritter

Twinsfan007 and SME12A like this.
  20. pacvr

pacvr Forum Resident

Yes, you can omit the Tergitol step from your pre-clean process. The Liquinox rinses easily, but make sure do a good rinse, since any carryover of Liquinox to the Degritter will cause more foam than the Tergitol.

Otherwise, 1-Nalgene drop = 0.04-ml and in the 1400-ml Degritter tank = ~30-ppm. As you observe this reduces the water surface tension enough for good wetting. And, 30-ppm is really low, it's the benefit of the high performance Tergitol 15-S-9; very little does a lot, and it just further reduces any risk of residue from this use as a no-rinse concentration.

recstar24 likes this.
  21. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

thank you! I’ve got my technique down pretty good with the record doc brush and a utility sink next nearby. Plus I have my nitty gritty RCM which I use vs air drying. One drop of tergitol in the degritter tank is crazy effective, remarkable stuff

pacvr likes this.
  22. Where is the fuse located in the machine? I went to clean a record today and the machine will not turn on. Tried a different cord - no dice. The manual says to check the fuse but I don’t see one.

23. SME12A

SME12A Takumi forever

24. JamsOnly

JamsOnly Senior Member

On a positive note, my machine just turned 1900 cycles (practically all medium) and still running strong.

25. Eltjo Biemold

Eltjo Biemold Forum Resident

After cleaning records with the degritter there are white spots left out the outside of the album. Anybody else having the same problem or knows how to avoid this from happening?
    I am using demineralised water and the degritter cleaning fluid.

[​IMG]