Degritter Users

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WntrMute2, Jun 30, 2019.

1. drmoss_ca

drmoss_ca Vinyl Cleaning Fiend

Looks like a residue (of the Degritter solution and maybe dirt in the water after a few disks have been cleaned) that dries in the rough area on the very edge of the pressing. It might wipe off with a cloth, but since it isn't in an area the stylus goes near, is there any point?

2. Eltjo Biemold

Eltjo Biemold Forum Resident

This was the result of using fresh water. Sometimes it is spread out over the outer song completely.

3. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

I've seen this on a few records - always on the edge. Not sure why - probably related to vinyl formulation or poor vinyl - but it's purely cosmetic. There's a voice in the back of my head saying I've read it about this somewhere, but cannot recall.

ChatGPT has this to say :)

The white edges that sometimes appear on vinyl records after cleaning with an ultrasonic cleaner are likely due to a phenomenon called "ultrasonic cavitation." Ultrasonic cleaners use high-frequency sound waves to create tiny bubbles in a cleaning solution, which then collapse and create tiny, powerful jets of cleaning solution that can dislodge dirt and grime from the surface of the object being cleaned.

In the case of vinyl records, the edges are particularly vulnerable to damage from the ultrasonic waves because they are thinner and more fragile than the rest of the record. The high-frequency sound waves can cause the edges to vibrate violently, which can lead to micro-fractures in the vinyl material. When the material fractures, it can cause tiny air pockets to form in the vinyl, which can make the edge of the record appear white.

It's important to note that ultrasonic cleaning can be an effective way to clean vinyl records, but it should be done with caution and with the right equipment. It's also important to use a cleaning solution that is specifically formulated for use with vinyl records, as some cleaners can actually damage the material. If you're seeing white edges on your records after cleaning, it may be a sign that the cleaning process is too harsh, and you should consider adjusting the settings on your ultrasonic cleaner or using a different cleaning method altogether.

PATB and robertawillisjr like this.
  4. SME12A

SME12A Takumi forever

I cleaned close to 1200 records and NEVER seen anything like that. I would try different water, just different brand that is extra purified.

5. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

So am I. And I cleaned records with outer edge resembling blade )) And Dynaflex records.)) I agree that it can be water or cleaning solution.

Vinyl Archaeologist and SME12A like this.
  6. SME12A

SME12A Takumi forever

Since original Degritter’s solution is being used, ( I also used it on all my records), the issue comes down to minerals in a water. These minerals are also not particularly good for ultrasonic transducers. Invest in high quality distilled water.

RC2257 likes this.
  7. JHC3

JHC3 Senior Member

Note: I am almost at 3000 records and I've not seen this effect.

RC2257, SME12A and recstar24 like this.
  8. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

I'm certain it's not the water or surfactants. I've cleaned 2200+ records with the same fluids and HAVE seen white edges on records, but only a very few times. If it were the water and/or surfactants I'd see it much more regularly. It's the vinyl - there's something about certain records and the way they've been pressed/cooled that results in this. I wish I could remember where I read about it...

JHC3 likes this.
  9. SME12A

SME12A Takumi forever

I am an engineer with couple years behind a belt. One thing I learned - never say never!

RC2257 and JHC3 like this.
  10. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

Absolutely. When I said "certain" I meant 99.9%, leaving a little room for movement, honest! :D

Your suggestion was to use distilled water to remove minerals from the equation, but I'm using distilled water... so that is unlikely the cause of what I'm seeing.

Like I said, I recall reading about this very issue some time ago. I just cannot recall where. It feels like I need to find this article in order to settle this...

11. Eltjo Biemold

Cleaned the same record again using distilled water and it got even worse. To actually see the white spots you need a pretty strong light. Perhaps that is why others are not seeing it.

12. pacvr

pacvr Forum Resident

If you are seeing this frequently, something is not right.

How easy is it to remove the debris? Can a simple camera-blower or very light brush remove it? This may better define the source of this debris.

There may be a lot of debris in the system. So here are some things to check/consider:

1. What is the condition of the filter? Understand that the filter is not very fine, so it will not keep the fluid really clean.
    2. When is last time you replace the filter?
    3. When is the last time you cleaned the UT tank internal - see the tech manual?
    4. When is the last time you disinfected the unit with vinegar - see the tech manual?
    5. What concentration of the Degritter solution have you been using?
    6. Let a few drops of your water (with no Degritter cleaner) dry on a clean surface - what do you see? Good purity demineralized/distilled water will leave very little if any residue.

13. Devonte

Devonte Active Member

I haven't had a chance to look at this forum since before Christmas last. I worked in Europe and the UK from mid-December until nearly the end of January. I'm flying from east coast to west coast right now, so I decided to check the forum and found this discussion on the first page.

A mentioned in another discussion regarding cleaning records some time ago that I had had the chance to visit the facility where the Audio Intelligent Vinyl Solutions products are manufactured. I've dealt with Osage Audio for many years and dropped in unannounced one day. The owner was busy and asked if I would like to visit their plant were their products are produced. Someone case to pick me up and I was treated to a brief tour of the plant and was able to spend some time with their staff chemist.

They produce cleaning enzyme ingredients for other industries as well. I'm no chemist, but I did take several chemistry classes on my way to my degrees, so I understood most of what the chemist had to tell me. in simple terms, she said their approach has been to first understand what the item is that they are cleaning, then what is on it that needs to be cleaned off, and how to do that without causing any damage or leaving any residue on the item.

She conducted a demonstration for me using several different cleaning products for records, some commercial and some that people mix on their own. After cleaning the records, she examined them for residue. The AIVS products were the only ones that didn't leave some sort of residue on the record. She also tested their ultrasonic formula, which I've now cleaned about 5000 record with, and it left no residue on the records or on the inside of the tank.

Personally, I like listening to records and I don't care to make a hobby of cleaning them. Their ultrasonic cleaner costs less than the distilled water that it is mixed with. I dump it in the tank and go.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Best wishes.

fdog, Andrea_Bellucci, ghn5ue and 2 others like this.
  14. Eltjo Biemold

I am not able to remove the debris using a micro fiber cloth. It happens quit often. I estimate around 50% of the new records I have bought recently do get the white spots after cleaning them.

To make sure it is not related to the filter I have replaced it and cleaned the machine as described in the manual. After this procedure I tried to clean the same record again and the white spots are still there. I am using 2 ml of degritter cleaning fluid.

15. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

2ml if fluid is a lot. I think 1 ml is more than plenty. It’s powerful stuff, can’t hurt to back off it a little bit.

RC2257, madrac, SpinIt and 1 other person like this.
  16. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

I have had this problem whenever using some of Degritter's fluid. I misplaced my notes but remember that the coloring of the label was an indication. I think Degritter's earlier formulations and the high recommended amount of fluid (per tank) may be the cause. I haven't had this problem since switching to the Audio Intelligent fluid. Anecdotal evidence? Probably, but I am sticking with the Audio Intelligent fluid.

Old Zorki II likes this.
  17. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

I am mixing 0.5ml of Degritter fluid (new formulation) or 3 drops of Groovewasher ultrasonic with 7 ml of AI to improve wetting.
    No residue ever.

18. Devonte

Devonte Active Member

Old Zorki II,

You may want to check with Osage Audio about what you are doing. Based on what I saw with my own eyes in their laboratory, you are defeating yourself by adding ingredients that will leave a residue on the record. One of the purposes of the Audio Intelligent product is that it avoids leaving a residue.

Best wishes.

VinBob and robertawillisjr like this.
  19. Eltjo Biemold

Cleaned a brand new record today. Used distilled water without cleaning fluid and there are no white spots [​IMG]I have also sprayed some of the demineralized water at an old/damaged record (with and without cleaning fluid) but was not able to replicate the problem. I used an Vacmaster Portable airmover to dry the records.

Charile and SpinIt like this.
  20. td320_vinylist

td320_vinylist Forum Resident

I also have these white spots on the rim of a record sometimes. I can't really point out a cause with certainty. But some observations:

IMO the source must be the Degritter fluid. I'm only using that, distilled and double distilled water and IPA (washing with distilled water and 1,25 ml Degritter fluid, rinsing with double distilled water and 7% IPA). Of those, only the Degritter fluid will leave a residue of any significance. Interaction between IPA and some parts inside the machine is the only other thing I can think of.
    There is a white residue visible on the bottom of the US tank (by that I mean the whole semi circular part). Scrubbing with a toothbrush and IPA as Degritter recommends does not get rid of it. But the record doesn't touch the bottom.
    Since the spots are on the rim of the record one would suspect the rollers in the US tank, but these have no residue on them.
    Another spot where the records might pick up those spots is the small ridge on the right of the US tank beyond which is the inlet for the filter system. On that ridge I see a buildup uf residue. But I can't see if the record actually touches this spot.
    Maybe it has something to do with cleaning the machine. I had noticed white spots before, then not for a while, and now they seem to be back. So I cleaned the machine with water and vinigar as Degritter recommends.

I am now a little under 1000 runs on my Mark II.
    So far it is working well, only "no water" warnings from time to time (just press play again and it will continue). And it has a little bug in the firmware where the machine after a maintenance cycle will automatically start the previous program in stead of reverting to the menu. Degritter is aware of that, so I expect this to be fixed in a firmware update.

recstar24 and VinBob like this.
  21. Just for the sake of putting some information out there that may be helpful to others in the future, I recently had an issue where my Degritter would not power on. I tried switching power cords, and checked the fuse, per the manual. I had set up a replacement with support when they asked me to try one last thing. Get a fresh version of the software on my SD card. Insert it into the powered off machine, wait 15 seconds, turn off and remove SD card. Let sit for 10 seconds off and power back on. Boom - up and running again, good as new. Apparently they think the software update got corrupted somehow. I had updated the software prior to the failure, but it worked fine for at least a week.

Anyways, this may or may not help someone in the future and save them from being down for a week like I was.

PATB, Twinsfan007, Fractured and 10 others like this.
  22. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Hi All,

So I am getting close to running out of my Degritter fluid and thinking of giving the Audio Intelligent fluid another try. Anyone using the AI solution noticed any audio change in sound? As it’s an Enzyme based cleaner, do you need to rinse after cleaning which may be why the audio isn’t quite as crisp? I thought I read that the AI solution isn’t left behind on the vinyl upon cleaning. So just a little curious on what other peoples experience has been.

Cheers,
    Vin.

23. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Using the AIVS fluid here. I don't notice any attenuation in frequency, and Yes it is formulated for no residue. Then again, I can't say I noticed any with the Degritter fluid, either.

JohnK

VinBob likes this.
  24. MOON

MOON Forum Resident

I use AVIS fluid as well and agree with John K

VinBob and madrac like this.
  25. madrac

madrac Forum Resident

@thegage are you using the AIVS fluid formulated for US cleaners? Assume so, but wanted to confirm.