Degritter Users

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WntrMute2, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Vinyl Archaeologist

Vinyl Archaeologist Forum Resident

I can report drastically reduced static from records that were cleaned on the VPI alone. As in going from the vinyl clinging to the platter and popping and discharging when removed to zero effect on removing vinyl from the table with almost no dust adhering to record during play.

2. Vinyl Archaeologist

You believe the increased pops are from the cleaning being less effective at removing dirt? I haven’t experimented that much yet as my purpose in getting the machine has been to clean residue left by some inner sleeves on my entire collection. I haven’t yet tried multiple heavy cycles to see see if records get more silent after additional cleanings. I just assumed if it was foaming that meant to decrease the solution.

3. WntrMute2

WntrMute2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Interesting. I have used 2mls per tank since the start and don't get any foam. Seems to clean just fine on the heavy cycle. I then rinse via the quick cycle.

4. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

I use multiple heavy cycles on new or very old and dirty records. For most records that have been cleaned before, I only use one cycle. My record collection has been mostly just sitting on shelves for the past 20 or more years.

I have always gotten foam with 2 mls (carefully measured) per tank after cleaning the third or so record.

5. DonC

DonC Forum Resident

I'm curious - was it a specific sleeve that left a residue on your records? That would be frustrating...

6. Vinyl Archaeologist

They were the Goldring Ex-static. A bummer because otherwise they were awesome sleeves. The company confirmed that there was an issue with them and is sourcing different material for the liners.

Quite frustrating but a great excuse to buy a degritter!

7. DonC

DonC Forum Resident

Ha! Yes, frustrating, but I admire your positive spin! I’ve got a Degritter on the radar... just need to find the motivation to pull the trigger. Satisfied with my current cleaner(s), but the automatic-ease is very (very) appealing.

8. Pushpaw

Pushpaw Forum Resident

I know it’s not automated, but anyone wanting an ultrasonic record cleaner and not wanting to spend thousands of dollars can buy a 6-10 litre ultrasonic cleaning bath from eBay for about $2-300 I’ve been using one for years. For solution you use distilled water, a little bit of rubbing alcohol and and a tiny drop of dish soap (dye and scent free).

you have to spin it manually but it’s for those not wanting to spend more on their record cleaner than their audio system is worth. Works like a charm.
    But it’s true you shouldn’t let the water get too warm. I warped a record that way. Eek.

9. Zurg

Zurg Well-Known Member

The audiophile man says you need to dilute it and spray over record and use brush, then put it in degritter, best results. Its in his review, i mean in comments section :)

RC2257 and r.Din like this.
  10. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

Yes, saw that. Tried it. Made a mess. I now put my Tergikleen into the caddy and it seems to be working just fine...

Vinyl Archaeologist likes this.
  11. Zurg

Zurg Well-Known Member

Do you rinse after washing??

12. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

No.

13. wgdrumsticks

wgdrumsticks Forum Resident

What is the latest views on those using the Degritter? How does it compare to similar ultrasonic in its price range?

Vinyl Archaeologist likes this.
  14. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

Can only comment on the Audio Desk as I owned that prior to the Degritter and the Degritter is the better machine. Every record came out of the Degritter sounding better.

Toneboner and wgdrumsticks like this.
  15. Vinyl Archaeologist

I’m over 1000 cleans and I think it’s a great machine. I managed to clean my whole record collection while doing other chores.

Toneboner and wgdrumsticks like this.
  16. Toneboner

Toneboner Forum Resident

I'm at about 200 cleans, and I also think it's amazing.

17. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I'd love to have one.

18. pacvr

pacvr Forum Resident

NOTE - Major EDIT to correct a math error (missed a decimal point and it does make a difference) and it explains the results r.Din is getting.

15-20 drops works out to about 1.25 mL and 1-gallon = 3786 mL. So the final overall concentration is 1.25mL/3786 mL = 0.0033 = 0.033% = to about 330 ppm. Assuming a 50:50 mix, at 165 ppm concentration the Tergitol 15-S-9 CMC-critical micelle concentration (see discussion Section VIII and IX of my paper - Tergitol 15-S-9 = 52 ppm) should be achieved but very little micelle reserve is achieved - some of the 15-S-9 will be used to keep the 15-S-3 in solution. The Tergikleen at 15-20 drops/gallon should lower the surface tension of the water about 30 dyne/cm, but there is essentially no detergency. If you add too much Tergikleen to the mix (I do not how much is too much) the Tergitol 15-S-3 which at best exists as an emulsion will likely come out of solution.

BUT, BUT, if you are using Tergikleen as a single application with no water rinse - since it has so little concentration - the risk of leaving significant residue behind is pretty low. At 330 ppm = 330 mg/L, and if 1 mL dries on the surface = 0.33 mg is left behind; and what is left behind will essentially be an oil.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
    Huang and r.Din like this.
  19. Zurg

Zurg Well-Known Member

I received my degritter yesterday, couldnt be happier, I'm about 25 records through, so far so good, I used deinodised water and 2ml of degritter fuild. I'm gonna order tergicleen tomorrow i think and another 5 packs of mofi sleeves. I noticed that degritter fluid does not clean off fingertips on some records that probably never been cleaned by me or anyone for that matter. Any suggestions ?? should I spray it with isopropyl mix ( water, isopropyl plus iltofol ) ??

Andrea_Bellucci and Toneboner like this.
  20. WntrMute2

WntrMute2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Try rubbing the fingerprint with a couple of drops of the straight Degritter fluid and a soft pad. See what happens. Sometimes the acids in the fingerprint can actually damage the record permanently so I've read.

21. Zurg

Zurg Well-Known Member

Thank you, I'll give it a shot, also I noticed today that my fluid, water plus 2ml of degritter mix have been foaming up on my records, I thought at first maybe its my mix of isopropyl from previous cleaning on okki nokki, but i always rinse that with clean water. It leaves water marks just on inside dead wax, i can see it there but not on actual record itself. I gotta admit that sound quality improved greatly. I do get a few clicks on some records at the beginning before actual music comes in, not on every record but it happened.

Andrea_Bellucci likes this.
  22. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

I should stay away from this thread. Every time I read it I am salivating and wishing I have one. ))

RC2257, Tommyboy, AshS and 1 other person like this.
  23. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

I don't know if I missed you mentioning it, but how much of the Tergikleen do you add? Do you fill distilled water to the "max" level? Thanks!

RC2257 likes this.
  24. Vinyl Archaeologist

Finger prints can be stubborn - they often need either a solvent like IPA, a detergent or an enzymatic cleaner. I sometimes find they need spot cleaning with uncut IPA but I've never found any that aren't 100% removed.

25. MattHooper

MattHooper Forum Resident

My Degritter, which I bought in 2018 getting in on the early price while they were still in development, started leaking recently. The Degritter crew are sending me a new
    one. They have always been a class act to deal with! (I'm getting the replacement in black. I never did upgrade the software, so I'll be curious to see any differences with the new model).

mike_c, RC2257 and Andrea_Bellucci like this.