Degritter Users

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WntrMute2, Jun 30, 2019.

1. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

I leave the water in the tank for up to a week or so. But I try to limit the number of records cleaned to around 20 before changing the water.

Andrea_Bellucci and nutop like this.
  2. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

I don't count the number of records cleaned, just kinda eye ball it based on how dirty the records I cleaned were. Sometimes I change after 20-30, sometimes sooner.

I change out the filter after my third or fourth water change. The filter gets pretty dirty.

3. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

I've measured the impurities in the water and the Degritter filters do a fantastic job of keeping it clean. I only change every 50 records, and even then cannot see any particular reason to do so beyond paranoia...

4. robertawillisjr

:shrug:

r.Din likes this.
  5. Andrea_Bellucci

Andrea_Bellucci Forum Resident

Hi Guys!

Can you clean the little filter in the sink with some dish soap and put it again in the Degritter and use it onwards?

Or have you thrown them away and used - after 20-30 LPs - a new one? I think with the machine they send you 3 filters?!

Bye Andrea :wave:

6. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

I guess you could wash it and reuse it, but I would probably just replace it after cleaning 100-150 records since I bought extra filters when I ordered mine from Degritter. They also sell them on Music Direct now so it is convenient if you live in the USA. I am sure you can contact Degritter and buy directly from them since you are in Italy.

Edit: It seems that other users wash them and reuse them based comments on this post on Degritter's Facebook page -https://www.facebook.com/1715058748816514/posts/2391126741209708/

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    Andrea_Bellucci likes this.
  7. robertawillisjr

I washed one but the dirty side (side closest to the intake) still had some discoloration. I simply put that side in the rear of the cartridge and am reusing it now.

I wonder how the folks at Degritter cleans them.

Andrea_Bellucci likes this.
  8. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

Version 2.2.9v8
    06/03/2020
    Change log
    – CRITICAL fix for stripes of dust on the record
    The water flow dynamics causing the dust stripes have been more complicated that we initially anticipated. The issue fixed by the 2.2.0 version was not the only thing affecting the dust removal. The record revolution direction and movements affect it as well. The software 2.2.9 version improves it by changing the record revolution direction and the way the record moves.

– Water level adjustments while the record is being washed
    On rare occasions the water level can drift a bit. In order to make it more precise, the machine will automatically adjust it if necessary during the washing cycle. Clicking valves can be heard while the adjustments are being made.

– Fix for incorrect remaining time
    Occasionally the machine could count down to 0:00 and keep drying fans running for another 10s.

– Reminder for Filter Change
    Every 50 washing cycles, the machine will now prompt a reminder to clean the water filter.

– Automatic maintenance program
    After every 60 washing cycles the machine will automatically run a 30s maintenance cycle to clean the valves.

– Water removal during drying
    On longer drying programs, the machine will check and additionally remove water from the ultrasonic cleaning tank every 2 min.

– Improved clock accuracy
    The machine will use an external clock source to ensure that the machine’s second length corresponds to universal time.

– Improved sensor accuracy when emptying ultrasonic tank
    On rare cases the maintenance free water level sensing leaves water at the bottom of the ultrasonic tank. This improvement resolves the issue.

9. robertawillisjr

Did anyone have "stripes of dust" on their records after washing? I think I did but rewashing seems to have fixed that. I am looking forward to seeing how this new update works. The folks at Degritter seem to want to continuously improve the machine and doing via SW updates is (at least for now) far superior than seeing a Mark II on the market.

DonC likes this.
  10. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

Am intrigued by this. HOW is the Degritter using an *external* clock source...????

11. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

Yes, this is very curious....

12. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

...hah, just noticed today the update (I haven't been neurotically checking!) after I did one clean that had the dust line for my first time since the last FW upgrade. I love the idea of the filter change light (yay!), so many things that'd be helpful for (like, when degassing maybe have a 7 day timer to "change water" as recommended.

Adoring this continuous updating by the staff in Estonia.

We'll all be home a bit more to actually listen to our records, please everyone be safe and enjoy the tunes.

r.Din likes this.
  13. nutop

nutop Active Member

has anyone washed their water tank through the dishwasher? cleaning mine is hard because i have giant effing hands

14. WntrMute2

WntrMute2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I usually just rinse it out a few times and then refill. I'd use a bottle brush before I'd run mine through the dishwasher.

DonC and nutop like this.
  15. robertawillisjr

I just did that since I noticed some buildup on the bottom that I couldn't reach. The manual indicates that you shouldn't wash the tank with dirty dishes.

"When washing the removable water tank in a dishwasher, do not exceed 60 °C or 140 °F.
    It is not recommended to wash the tank together with foodware"

After washing the buildup/scum disappeared.

nutop likes this.
  16. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

...yes, as a test I put it through dishwasher - no worries for the bottom valve, and def easier than the scrubbing around the inner ridges

nutop likes this.
  17. WntrMute2

Just a data point. I've cleaned 500 records now with no issues. I finally changed the filter. Up until now, I've just rinsed it when I changed the water/ solution in my two tanks which is about once a week.

nutop and Dayfold like this.
  18. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

In case someone is feeling particularly masochistic, here's me going on about this lovely, lovely machine:

Toneboner, Ninjur, dolsey01 and 6 others like this.
  19. WntrMute2

I thought your video was very interesting. One thing I have found using mine is that the biggest benefit is that one actually uses it. Instead of the newly arrived area growing larger, the pile quickly is being reduced to stems and seeds. I can come home with ten records in my bag and by the end if the weekend, I've cleaned, listened and sleeved the all. It really is the best audio purchase I've ever made!

DonC and Squiggsy68 like this.
  20. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

... excellent point, and appreciate you watched.

21. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

Thanks for taking the time to make the video, VERY much appreciated the comment about the "guy in the labcoat" selling machines. Liked and subscribed!

22. robertawillisjr

How many folks use some sort of cleaning fluid when cleaning LPs? How does it compare to just using plain distilled water (If you have tried this method)?

23. I use a KLAUDIO and could hear a difference between using distilled vs Reagent water, so I use lab grade Reagent water.

24. Acapella48

Acapella48 Forum Resident

Wow! - Can't believe I missed this thread. There was a question posted a couple of weeks ago from someone thinking about purchasing an Audio Desk and another poster and I both mentioned the Degritter as an alternative.

I currently own a Okki Nokki but I've been considering going ultrasonic.

Good to see there are some Degritter owners here.

jboersma likes this.
  25. nutop

nutop Active Member

do you buy it online? i've been trying to source locally as someone else had recommended this to me. seems to go for about 20 dollars a gallon online.

thanks!