Degritter Users

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WntrMute2, Jun 30, 2019.

1. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

I admire your environmental ethics. Now if people in my country would just stop putting "weed and feed" on their lawns, which washes into the water courses and causes all kinds of havoc!

normychas likes this.
  2. WntrMute2

WntrMute2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

In the US, there are services that will clean via ultrasonics your records. They work via the mail services. If I was worried about the environmental impact of my cleaning solutions, I'd look into this service.
    Here is a US based serviceRecord Genie - Home

RC2257 likes this.
  3. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

Omg dude let's go door to door and take people's lawn spreaders away.

All for a green law.

Effin unbelievable.

4. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

Ignorance is no excuse for being stupid. Do some research before you make your comments.

RC2257 and SME12A like this.
  5. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

Sorry I meant LAWN. I'm agreeing with you. I live on Lake Michigan. Fertilizers are slowly killing it.

SME12A likes this.
  6. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

My mistake. I thought you were attacking me for being a green-new-deal nutter! lol

7. bbones

bbones Active Member

Hooked up the Degritter and been playing on and off all day. I followed some of the advice here and went thru the Degas process twice......then added only half (1.0ml) of the supplied cleaning product. I get lots of "foam" esp on the first record (each time I've turned it on). Been running it on medium setting mainly and 3 min dry time. It all appears to go away with the drying process and I don't see anything visible...but wonder.
    First album I put in was a 2nd hand Bunny Wailer album that I had run thru my spin clean a couple weeks back.....I wish I had done a before and after play........but after the Degritter right off the bat I noticed the base more and the vocals just seemed extra crisp and clear. (maybe that's just me) Anyway, so far super happy. The fan sure is loud though which is going to adjust where I set it up.
    Otherwise, I've been running all the new (not 2nd hand) albums thru, then I'll start slowly tackling the ones I've already passed thru the spin clean........and then the rest (which I think I will still pass thru the spin clean first and get rid of any "crud" before using the Degritter.
    My neighbours are shaking their head at how excited I am. They don't get it.......but figure you folks do. LOL

8. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

I found the half speed fan power with 2:15 dry time adequate. If you are using more fan power, cutting that down will significantly help with the noise. For the different cleaners I've used, I always got foam at the beginning of each cycle. The foam mostly dissipated within the first rotation though. I'd recommend you use a Heavy cycle. If you are going to the trouble of cleaning a record, you might as well do the maximum. You will reduce the number of cycles that you can do before letting thigs cool off though.

RC2257 likes this.
  9. catbiscuits

catbiscuits Active Member

Time for a mini-review after some time with the Degritter.

I’ve cleaned 160 LPs on my Degritter so far and am enjoying it quite a bit. It’s far, far easier than the iSonic machine that I used to use, no down sides. I use the Degritter fluid since it has been optimized by the company for the machine and based on the postings here, I don’t see any need to get into amateur chemistry (and all the potential toxicity involved!). I then vacuum the LPs on my Okki Nokki using a LAST LP record cleaning machine fluid, treat them with LAST LP Preservative #2 (I’ve used it for 35 years with no ill effects on my LPs so I’m going to keep doing it for the next 35), and play them on my Viella V12. The V12 is a phenomenal turntable and I’ve found that 90% of LPs play with no surface noise whatsoever at that point. The exceptions are some awful recent pressings (the Jordan de la Sierra Gymnosphere and recent US release of the Blade Runner 2049 soundtrack are cases in point), some badly pressed LPs from the 1970s and 1980s (notably EG Records, which I have a lot of), and really old beat up original pressings that I got from record stores that look like they should be unplayable after having been used as coasters for beer cans and rinsed in bong water by previous owners 40-50 years ago but still sound great, minus the surface noise (most of my Rolling Stones LPs). I feel like I’m finally at a point where I don’t need to upgrade my LP cleaning methods or turntable. It sounds better than my digital source (FLACs via Roon to an Ayre QX-5 Twenty). All this cost a ton, but I’ve had more enjoyment from it than I ever got from my 2011 BMW racer (totaled in a flood last year) and that cost me about $40,000 more than a Honda would’ve and not so many folks would question a purchase like that.

10. WntrMute2

Just to clarify - you are cleaning with the Degritter, washing again with Last cleaner, vacuuming, the applying Last treatment?

RC2257 and Louie Belt like this.
  11. bbones

bbones Active Member

Well just shy of 100 albums cleaned so far. I played around a bit with dilutions, drying times etc....currently I'm running my albums thru my manual spin clean first and then the Degritter with just distilled water (no additive). (on the heavy cycle/2:15 minute dry time)...and quite happy with the result. Wish they could clean away some of the scratches on a few that I'm sure go back to my less than careful, alcohol/and other substance infused university days. LOL
    Having fun.

12. Ninjur

Ninjur Forum Resident

I wonder if one could use a spin clean for the stuff that are harder to clean?
    For example use degritter heavy, then take the vinyl and clean in it spin clean and after that do a fast clean and dry on the degritter.

13. WntrMute2

I think you are making this way too complicated.

14. Ninjur

Ninjur Forum Resident

There is still pops after the degritter. It could be something one need physical contact to fix. There is people that say Kirmuss cleans better.

15. WntrMute2

The Degritter will not fix flaws in the vinyl. Some cartridges are noisier than others. A good cartridge mated with the proper phono-stage will go a long way towards mitigating the occasional pop.

recstar24 and nutop like this.
  16. Ninjur

Ninjur Forum Resident

There is not problem with my cartridge. The degritter will not clean everything. That is just a fact. Some stuff is really stuck on the vinyl and I would guess they could be removed with physical contact.

17. Vinyl Archaeologist

Vinyl Archaeologist Forum Resident

Yes. It is best for relatively clean records. I use a VPI as well on vintage pressing and even spot clean with undiluted IPA and a microfiber cloth on stubborn fingerprints and gunk.

SME12A likes this.
  18. Zoroastra

Zoroastra Forum Resident

You say you “don’t see any need to get into amateur chemistry (and all the potential toxicity involved!)” , but have no hesitation using LAST LP Preservative on your vinyl. LAST LP preservative contains freon doesn’t it? Wasn’t freon banned from use in air conditioners and refrigerators because of its contribution to global warming?

19. pacvr

pacvr Forum Resident

To fill-in some of the blanks; Freon was a DuPont Trademark and covers many different chlorofluorocarbon (CFC) products; mostly refrigerants such as CFC12 and the solvent CFC113. Most CFC Class I products such as CFC12 & CFC113 stopped manufacture (world-wide) in 1996 as part of the international Montreal Protocol of 1986 to protect from ozone depleting substances. HOWEVER, you are allowed to use and sell recycled CFCs. CFC113 was the precision cleaning solvent up until manufacture stopped - and many organizations setup stockpiles to cover specialized applications until non-ODS solutions could be implemented. Here comes the Catch-22's and the kicker.

1. CFC such as CFC-113 have an indefinite shelf life so long as they are keep free from air/water.; once exposed to moisture they can form hydrochloric acid - but after use they can be easily recycled by distillation.; so:

2. You can still buy CFC-113 from lab supplies houses - 1,1,2-Trichloro-1,2,2-trifluoroethane, Reagent | 76-13-1 | TR113 | Spectrum Chemical, however the prices are quite breath-taking 500 mL for $2585. Overall, there should be very little CFC-113 left in the world today.

3. Most CFC's are global warmers. But so where many of the non-ODS refrigerants that replaced them. So today everyone is now replacing the non-ODS refrigerants with low-global warming potential (GWP) alternatives.

4. All CFC's and many fluorinated refrigerants/solvents have one particularly insidious acute toxicity hazard called cardio-toxicity. At high concentrations such as a large spill or large refrigerant release (and CFC-113 is probably the worst at 4000 ppm) in a fight/flight response where adrenaline is released, cardiac arrhythmia can occur leading to a heart attack - a number of naval shipyard workers died in the mid-1980's from CFC-113 leakage into confined spaces. Note the cardio toxicity of the refrigerants used in your car and home is very high (>50,000 ppm); and very safe.

If the LAST product(s) are ODS they should identify accordingly but the risk to the environment is quite limited - there are far better and more effective ways to reduce your GWP foot-print of which manufacturing vinyl records is not without its far greater impact - be careful we are not the pot calling the kettle black. But, it the LAST products are fluorinated solvents and if they have the risk of cardio-toxicity LAST should make that health hazard (as remote as it may be) known - otherwise they could be liable.

So, more than you wanted to know.

Andrea_Bellucci and Zoroastra like this.
  20. AudioTimes

AudioTimes Forum Resident

New Degritter user here... loving it, I clean mostly brand new records (and mint used records), and that seems to be the best use for this machine.

I love how silent it is and that even the lowest drying fan speed will totally dry records in less than 4 minutes (total around 10 minutes: Heavy Cleaning 6min + Drying 4min), this is very low noise and allows me to clean during the night in an apartment floor (with family and neighbors, nobody can her me, I feel like I'm in space), I didn't expect this so I was very surprised and I'm very happy.

I've kept my old vacuum RCM for the ocasional (and very rare) really dirty record I might have or buy...

Been using purified water with the Degritter fluid, all is fine and dandy... I like to keep it simple ;)

RC2257 and Andrea_Bellucci like this.
  21. Zoroastra

Zoroastra Forum Resident

How is everyone else cleaning their filter? I find that by running warm water through from the clean end (dirty end dependent) and squeezing it in such a way as to force the water down through it, I get most of the dark colour off. There is always a few black specs in the cavities at the distal end that I can't seem to free. Any advice, or agreement?

RC2257 likes this.
  22. Johncan

Johncan Always learning

I do the same. I emailed the company they said reusing the filters was fine as long as you clean them. I cycle through the 10 I have and clean them when the unit tells me too so.

Andrea_Bellucci likes this.
  23. Ninjur

Ninjur Forum Resident

So now I have tried this. I used 20 records that I have cleaned with heavy setting on the degritter. Not very visible dirty records but LPs that even after ultrasonic wash had problem with clicks and pops.
    And sure did spin clean a good on those records.
    [​IMG]
    Beside the dirt on the bottom, the water also got more cloudy.
    And many of those LPs did sound a lot better after this. Some became extremely quiet and I'm very pleased.
    So what I did was heavy cleaning, then spin clean and after that medium cleaning to remove dirt that loosens after spin clean plus dry the record.

Andrea_Bellucci and Fractured like this.
  24. ACHiPo

ACHiPo Active Member

I got a Degritter about a month ago and have cleaned about 100 records. My primary reason for the purchase was to replace an aging (and LOUD) NittyGritty vacuum. My old regimen was following the SpinClean instructions for scrubbing, followed by rinsing and vacuum in the NittyGritty. My new regimen for new-to-me records is a SpinClean followed by Degritter with 1 ml/tank fluid. Results are outstanding. I also see a similar amount of schmutz in the SpinClean tank. For records I previously cleaned with the SpinClean and NittyGritty receive a Medium Degritter cycle. Again, results are amazing.

I am very happy with this purchase!

recstar24, Andrea_Bellucci and Ninjur like this.
  25. sotie

sotie Well-Known Member

My Degritter arrived three days ago and after the first 50 record cleanings I am absolutely loving it. I don't put anything on my turntable without cleaning it first and I have a HUGE pile of records I want to listen to but haven't been cleaned. I was previously using SpinClean to clean and a Record Doctor to dry. Just thinking about cleaning that way made me not want to do it. Also, my family relegated me to the garage when cleaning because the Record Doctor's vacuum sounds like a jet engine. Now I can just pop an album into the Degritter and play within minutes with no fuss. I set it up in my office and I can just clean while I'm getting other things done. I can clean more records per hour using my SpinClean/Record Doctor method but with the Degritter I'm not stuck for hours getting nothing else done. Just pop one in and come back a few minutes later to sleeve it. I love it!

This may seem obvious to others but it's not to me... when changing/cleaning the filter does the water tank need to be removed/empty?