Degritter Users

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WntrMute2, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Maybe if I win the lottery I can buy one of these. It looks very impressive.

Andrea_Bellucci likes this.
  2. Squiggsy68

Squiggsy68 Forum Resident

I generally go with around 1ml of the Degritter additive and I don't get any foaming. At some point I'm going to try the L'Art du Son that I use with my Loricraft as I have a nearly full bottle. Not because I think it need to in terms of results, just because it's there!!

3. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Seems to be an art in getting no foam. :D I tend to get more foam during "cooling water" cycles.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  4. kfscoll

kfscoll Active Member

Just curious - are you running the latest firmware? FWIW I received my replacement Degritter today. This one clicks at the beginning and end of the wash cycle but definitely not every 30 seconds like my first one did.

I've linked to two pictures - one of the debris I found inside my first machine (which is why I'm returning it) and one of the debris next to an LP jacket to give a sense of scale. The schmutz is definitely metallic. I suspect that whatever broke inside the machine causes the water level sensor to malfunction so the water level was being adjusted every 30 seconds even though it was fine. Also, the ultrasonic transducers on my first machine got really loud last night and started squealing. Whatever broke off inside the unit must've been pretty important!

Thanks for the tip! I've decided not to use the cleaning solution with my new machine. The solution (even diluted to 2mL/tank) caused faint permanent water spots on the silver metallic finish of my first Degritter; pure distilled water has no effect on the finish.

5. kfscoll

kfscoll Active Member

One more post on my "clicking" for the community and then I'll leave it alone. I heard back from Estonia again:

"The clicks should not be heard every 30s, yes, but on some washing cycles they can be heard more often than usual. It depends a bit on how much the cleaning solution foams and the filtration system can play a small effect in here as well."

This could explain (in addition to the shipping damage) why my first machine clicked so frequently yet the second one doesn't: I used 2mL of cleaning solution in the first machine but none in the replacement.

6. Ninjur

Ninjur Forum Resident

Do anyone have problem with water drops still on the record after the drying?
    And how many do pre-washing (like really dirty records first on spin-cleam/VPI) before?

7. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

I always prewash on a vacuum cleaner to remove any major surface crud. And, yes, there are often a couple of drops on the record after drying - this is a result of me cutting the drying time to speed up the overall process. Am happy for those droplets to dry themselves as the water is distilled there shouldn't be any residue to worry about.

Ninjur likes this.
  8. jboersma

jboersma Tower of Power

Q: What's the file size for the update file? I'm purchasing an SD card and want to spend as little as possible. Thanks!

9. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

72KB

scottp and RC2257 like this.
  10. robertawillisjr

Turned on my unit today and nothing. No lights, no clicks, nothing. Tried different plug and then cable in two sockets, no joy. Ohmed the the fuse and it is good. Since my ohm meter is a bit flaky, I am going to try a different fuse. No lightening strikes or power surges evident since I last used it (four days). Contacted Degritter and will keep you guys posted.

r.Din and Andrea_Bellucci like this.
  11. jboersma

jboersma Tower of Power

Got my Degritter from Estonia and it was shipped with a EU power cord. To the USA. WTF? Now I have to wait until Friday when my replacement from Amazon shows up. Lame.

Andrea_Bellucci likes this.
  12. kfscoll

kfscoll Active Member

That definitely sucks, but certainly you have a compatible power cord lying around that you can use in the meantime...?

RC2257 likes this.
  13. Squiggsy68

Squiggsy68 Forum Resident

Just occurred to me - I'm sure it's at the start of the User Manual, but in case you were planning to dive straight in and read the manual later - if they shipped you an EU power cord then probably worth double checking the voltage setting on the back of the machine before you switch it on for the first time! I believe US Voltage is 110 / 120 whereas as EU / UK is 220 / 240 - so make sure it's set correctly - the switch is on the left hand side of the back panel (if you're looking directly at the back panel) next to the SD Card slot.

RC2257 and Don Parkhurst like this.
  14. AFCBRINGWOOD

AFCBRINGWOOD Forum Resident

I know you're upset but just think about what you're saying. If I ordered a piece of hardware from the US, would I expect it to come with a UK power cable? No, of course I wouldn't.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    ParanoidAndroid likes this.
  15. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

@Agitater thank you for your detailed review and follow-ups. I just have one question for you please. I used to use a Spin Clean. I upgraded to a Project VCS vacuum machine a couple of years back. I use it with a Tergitol-based solution recommended by an engineer over on the VPI forum. It seems to work well enough, but there is still a level of surface noise on some records when I listen through headphones. Not audible listening through speakers.

My question is, do you think I would see a marked improvement using the Degritter over the Project machine? I only buy new or VG++ used records, never old grimy records from thrift store and the like.

Thanks.

16. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

It's impossible to say.

When used as directed and with a cleaning solution appropriate for the type of grime that has to be cleaned away, in general a VPI, Pro-ject or Okki Nokki vacuum machine should do a perfectly good job.

Also in general, if an LP is still noisy after being declared clean by some audiophile who has run the LP through one of the machines, then it's usually one of two things that is happening. Either the audiophile's cleaning method was flawed or the LP has noise caused by abrasion or wear deep in the groove. Add to that the possibility that classifying the condition of used LPs is for some sellers less of an accurate craft than it is a method of persuasion.

There is also the danger that some audiophiles, from time to time, over-clean an LP. Excessively vigorous scrubbing with a dirty brush, dirty velvet pads on a vacuum wand, too many rotations combined with insufficient cleaning fluid, and the use of microfiber drying cloths that are contaminated with finger oils all contribute to unsatisfactory results and LP damage.

One last thing. After an LP has been cleaned, placing it on a turntable platter and giving it a once over with an aging antistatic/carbon fiber brush that is full of dust particles and other grit retained because the audiophile insists on wiping the bristles off with his finger (thereby transferring finger oils and gradually ruining the brush), basically guarantees that the CF brush is useless for anything but harming LPs.

The Degritter automates most of the cleaning process and it works extremely well. Any number of audiophiles are experimenting with various cleaning fluids in their Degritters, a few later complaining that even though their home-brewed cleaning solution or alternate commercial cleaning solution absolutely should work perfectly the Degritter is doing a poor job so it must be the Degritter's fault. That is false logic. While a different solution may have the potential to work like a treat, experimentation to find the precise concentration is required, and that means trial and error and the time needed to do so.

When it comes to LP cleaning solutions in general, lower concentration is better.

17. jboersma

jboersma Tower of Power

It's a detachable cord, and Degritter's site specifically asks where you're shopping from. These 2 things led me to believe it would come ready to plug in. But nope. Additionally, I had to change the voltage from 230 to 115. Small things like this should obviously be handled by the originating company when a customer is paying $3000+ for an item.

RC2257 likes this.
  18. jboersma

jboersma Tower of Power

Yeah, made sure to do that. I always read a manual for electronics.

19. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Thanks.

20. robertawillisjr

The folks at Degritter determined that it is a control board. They are shipping me a new one and return authorization for the broken one.

Great news and service.

RC2257, Don Parkhurst and jboersma like this.
  21. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

My experience is that IF the record can be cleaned to silence the Degritter will get you there, whereas the vacuum cleaners always fall short.

scottp, Satrus and Squiggsy68 like this.
  22. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Disclosure - I do not own Degritter, and so far not planning to purchase one (unless my hands totally give up). But I am curious, and also happy for Estonians (I used to have quite a bit of friends there) who design and build this remarkable device.
    But your post is interesting - most people suggest to wash first in ultrasonic - and only later vacuum. This is how I do as well. But you are doing it "in reverse" - RCM first, and then ultrasonic. Wonder if you feel any difference or improvement?

23. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

The way I see it, the ultrasonic is the deep cleaner, so I want all the surface crud/fingerprint residue etc out of the way first so that it can get into the grooves without obstacles. Also, I don't want that crud floating around in my ultrasonic water, blocking filters and gunking up the machine, I want the water as pure as possible at all times... so it seems sensible to me to do the vacuum first - what's left to vacuum otherwise?

As to whether there are sound quality benefits to doing it ultrasonic first, I'd have to try I guess... but for me the vacuum is less about sound quality (that's what the ultrasonic is for) and more about keeping gunk out of the ultrasonic.

jeff kleinberg and Old Zorki II like this.
  24. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

My approach is the same. VPI first then Degritter.

Old Zorki II likes this.
  25. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

I understand. My concern with regular Ultrasonic is some detergent/surfacant residue after drying.