Degritter Users

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WntrMute2, Jun 30, 2019.

1. madrac

madrac Forum Resident

I didn't open mine but maybe it goes in where the filter is, before inserting the filter?
    My bag of goodies didn't come with the black pieces or spring :cry:

5-String likes this.
  2. JHC3

JHC3 Senior Member

Just to chime in here as I've had experiences with both another retailer mentioned in this thread, which machine I returned after a long battle with the "company", and Degritter. The customer service experience could not be more night and day. Degritter (Aleks) always responds not only with helpful information, but it is delivered efficiently and in a thoughtful manner. This company cares about its customers and as shown many times here in this thread, they are not leaving anyone out there in the cold. This, to me, makes the high cost worth every cent.

darkmass, 5-String, JamsOnly and 3 others like this.
  3. AudioTimes

AudioTimes Forum Resident

Also mine didn't come with those extra parts (black pieces and spring).

5-String likes this.
  4. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Same here with my replacement 2-3 months back.

5. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Interesting that only mine seems to include these “extras”. I should probably contact Degritter and see what are these for. I am curious about the spring.

6. Huang

Huang Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the spring and little black cylinders are for the bottom of the tank.

5-String and Vinyl Archaeologist like this.
  7. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I just got my Degritter last week, and I got that same bag of extras. Been wondering myself what they all are…

5-String likes this.
  8. hitmanhart408

hitmanhart408 Forum Resident

Follow up to my cracked water tank. A replacement has already been shipped out. Unfortunately, this afternoon I discovered a giant flood under my Degritter which sits on my Ikea shelf with my MOFI One Steps right below! The clean up was a bit messy and I had to do damage control for my One steps. Fortunately, I literally just put them in outer sleeves a few days ago. I had 1 one-step still factory sealed and in an outer sleeve but somehow some minor water seeped through so that sucked. So I had to open the One Step and thankfully the box is fine. Nonetheless, this sucked!!

r.Din and Vinyl Archaeologist like this.
  9. fje99

fje99 Well-Known Member

my first Degritter (I’m on my third) leaked immediately upon first use right out of the box.

10. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Sounds like the QC on these needs to be reviewed by the folks over at Degritter. Unfortunately, I am sick with COVID so have not been able to do any cleaning since my first batch from the replacement over the last week. Will report back when I do and hoping it doesn’t leak like my first did…

Happy New Year all and stay healthy!

Tommyboy likes this.
  11. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Happy new year Neil!

I broke in my vinyl new year with a few records, and cleaned them with 1ml of degritter fluid. Works very well! No foaming, just a nice smooth sheeting on the record itself, dries faster as well. Records sound great!

(the fluid I have is clear)

pacvr likes this.
  12. JPartyka

I’ve had the same exact experience. I initially used distilled water only, but adding 1ml of the Degritter fluid to each tank has produced great results and better “sheeting” as you say on each record.

recstar24 likes this.
  13. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Maybe I should try the Degritter fluid too, so far I have been using only distilled water and I am generally happy with the results but I am sure that there is still room for improvement.
    My only concern is residue left on the record by the fluid.

14. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Feel better

VinBob likes this.
  15. pacvr

pacvr Forum Resident

If you use 1-ml/1400-ml, the 'calculated/estimated" residue left on the record will be a film less than 0.02 microns. Calculation is as follows: The Degritter cleaner has as much as 7.2% non-volatile ingredients (the alcohols are volatile). 1.0-mL/1400-mL is about 1400:1 dilution. The 7.2% base = 72,000 ppm, diluted 1400:1 = 52 ppm or 52 mg/L. If 2 mL of the cleaner is allowed to dry equally on the record, the record it will leave a residue thickness <0.02 micron (obtained from Table XIII of the book - Vinyl Record Manual Cleaning Process (thevinylpress.com)).

If you clean 5 or more records before refreshing the bath, the bath will "likely" build up more non-volatile detritus than what the 1-ml of cleaner adds, and w/o the wetting agent, more water stays on the record, so the risk of greater residue is higher. The Degritter filter is not a low micron rated filter.

Optimal cleanliness is obtained using two tanks, one w/cleaner for cleaning, and one with DIW only for rinsing.

recstar24 likes this.
  16. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Thanks, Neil, I appreciate the info, you are a great asset to our community!

VinBob and recstar24 like this.
  17. JPartyka

Makes sense. I’ve considered doing this but so far haven’t pulled the trigger on springing for a second tank…

madrac likes this.
  18. madrac

madrac Forum Resident

Hey VinBob

get well soon

happy New Year

recstar24 likes this.
  19. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Thanks matey - feeling better already and Happy New Year!

Cheers,
    Vin.

5-String likes this.
  20. madrac

madrac Forum Resident

Glad to hear, Vin. Pretty soon you’ll be back to cleaning vinyl

21. Johncan

Johncan Always learning

I am at 2,000+ cycles on my Degritter. I am getting a weird smell on the drying cycle. I can' really describe the smell except it smells like faint aerosol and a slightly burnt odor. I cleaned the unit as per these directions - Degritter Ultrasonic Record Cleaning Machine

It did not smell on the drying cycle until after I cleaned it and let the unit dry out after the last distilled water rinse cycles. Any ideas?

22. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

No idea, but I don't know if you 've read this review by Paul Rigby. There is a paragraph referring to smell after cleaning due to the use of alcohol and surfactant. Probably not the same as your issue but worth a reading.

Degritter Ultrasonic Record Cleaning Machine

23. Johncan

Johncan Always learning

^^ We linked to the same article :) . I am curious why I am now noticing an odor after 1 year of use. Maybe it is the remnants of the vinegar mix residue from the cleaning of the unit.

24. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Oops! Did not see the link…I cannot think of anything else other than what you wrote about the remnants of the vinegar. How strong is the smell?

25. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Johncan likes this.