Degritter Users

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WntrMute2, Jun 30, 2019.

1. dangorange

dangorange Forum Resident

I feel ya, I'm in the same boat. Hopefully they will make the parts known and available to fix ourselves in that event!

bloodlemons and VinBob like this.
  2. dangorange

dangorange Forum Resident

3. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Not working for me either!

4. SpudOz

SpudOz Forum Resident

Try his YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/c/XjunkieNL/videos.

(As of today) the video is on the far left, six rows down, titled Degritter Record Cleaner - TIPS & TRICKS - Vinyl Community. Or if you search by the video's title in YouTube, it is the first title listed in the results.

5. Johncan

Johncan Always learning

Sorry the first attempt to provide the link did not work. Try this one...

VinBob likes this.
  6. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

The video above is really excellent. It's great for beginners, but has some really cool but subtle tips that he was able to communicate simply and clearly. What he says about the water level and effectiveness is cool and I will definitely try out, and I love how he saw that a full drying rotation takes about 30 seconds, so when setting your dry cycle, make sure to set it at an interval of 30 seconds.

Its great he found a similar foam material and has an appropriate sized reamer thingy to basically cut out to shape his own foam filters, I think I won't bother as Im fine just cleaning and reusing the stock filters. He does mention that ever since making his own, he's more apt to just replace his filters because its so cheap, which may be better in the long run.

Didn't know about that special auto run feature through the info menu!

7. anygreg

anygreg Forum Resident

Sorry missed these replies as i never got an email notification.

So the first thing they asked me to try was to refresh the unit with the latest software version, which unfortunately didn't work, tried multiple times. you can hear the machine go through the process but alas still a white screen. To me it slooks like the LCD element of the screen itself has failed, just the backlight is working but no contrasting LCD to show what it's doing (ive seen this on laptop screens and TV's before). The mechanics are all still working as when you turn the control knobs it goes through the different functions (as in you can hear it doing things if that makes sense)

So the lovely folk at Degritter have asked if im ok with having a go at replacing the screen or sending it back to be fixed, my call.

being an engineer for over 30 year, in the computer industry dealing with super fine components im extremely happy with this solution! and weirdly quite looking forward to seeing what under the hood.
    So the screen will be on its way shortly and hopefully provide the fix this beautiful machine and have me back up and running soon.

Out of all this and whats promising for me is that the great attitude Degritter has with its customers means we will be able to keep these things running for many many years to come, how bloody refreshing is that right!
    Carlsberg don't make degritters but if they did they still wouldn't get close to the customer service from Degritter!

lets see how this plays out chaps and Ill obviously keep you all updated on progress etc!

8. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Has anyone found a good source for the foam filter to make your own? I believe I read somewhere that you need 60ppi grade which is what the supplied ones are. Would be interesting to make these and reduce the amount of cleaning required when you can make so many and simply replace.

Cheers,
    Vin.

9. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Did you watch the video above? He’s from outside the US but he recommended a certain style of foam, maybe for aquariums I think. Should be easy enough to google.

10. anygreg

anygreg Forum Resident

Just my 2 pennies (cents) worth regarding filters etc. I’d say buy the official ones made by Degritter. Why? To keep them in business thus allowing them to 1, keep trading which in turn allows them to 2, provide the fantastic service and support going forward. The filters last ages and for the cost of the machine it’s a small price to pay. YMMV but for me I’ll buy the original ones.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
    Badger and madrac like this.
  11. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Yes, fair point although I feel I have paid enough already which should cover some of those running support costs in the future I would hope. But I do agree with you point…

12. VinBob

VinBob Forum Resident

Yes, but not seeing that size/shape and color at the required 60 ppi grade - so will just wash and purchase more for now…

13. anygreg

anygreg Forum Resident

I hear you and do understand your point entirely and I would of done the same hadn’t it been for my latest interaction with the customer support team at Degritter. It was this positive experience that changed my mind. There are far to many faceless corporations out there fleecing us for far more and we get far less. Genuine Filters cost £18 here in the UK and will last me ages. Happy too pay if it helps keep the doors open.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
    VinBob likes this.
  14. madrac

madrac Forum Resident

hi anygreg. Curious - where in the UK are you located? Pre-covid, I'd go to the UK 3-4 times/year on business (Windsor area).

15. anygreg

anygreg Forum Resident

Quick update. replacement screen arrived from Degritter. straight forward enough swap out, obviously having the correct tools for the job and taking my time, being systematic with strip down made things smooth.
    The delight came when the screen came to life and my degritter was back up and running!

Problems are inevitable, how we remedy/correct and attend to those problems is a measure of a companies worth.
    Fantastic service and support from Degritter!

Fractured, JamsOnly, timmikid and 8 others like this.
  16. anygreg

anygreg Forum Resident

Quick question chaps, sorry if it’s been asked before. Do the rollers move on both sides or is one fixed? When I look In The top of the Degritter when running a clean, I can see the top roller right hand side moving back/too ok, but the left top one doesn’t move, or should I say it isn’t driven. Is this just a guide as such? Should it move at all.
    If I run it with no record in I can see 3 of the 4 rollers rotating, the top left doesn’t if that makes sense. It may be that it doesn’t need to be driven? Just thought to ask.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
  17. Johncan

Johncan Always learning

Only the roller on the right is motorized in my unit. The roller on the left is passive.

VinBob and anygreg like this.
  18. anygreg

anygreg Forum Resident

Thank Fk for that. Thought I was stripping it down again and fitting another part :biglaugh:
    Thanks for the reply

VinBob likes this.
  19. Johncan

Johncan Always learning

Has anyone tried Audio Intelligent's Enzymatic Record Cleaning Concentrate for Ultrasonic Record Cleaning Machines in their Degritter?

20. Johncan

Johncan Always learning

I got my replacement Degritter yesterday all the way from Estonia. I had a amplifier failure after 1 year and 2,000 cycles. I am very pleased with the company from replacing my unit so fast. I ship the old unit back to them at no cost to me on Monday. They also said the new comes with a new 2-year warranty.

Andrea_Bellucci and recstar24 like this.
  21. Johncan

Johncan Always learning

I am now using Audio Intelligent's Enzymatic Record Cleaning Concentrate for Ultrasonic Record Cleaning Machines in my Degritter. It does not foam at all and requires no rinse. The manufacturer says it using cleaning enzymes and not digestive enzymes. I am using it on medium cycle with no manual preclean (unless the record is visibly filthy). It is removing fingerprints and other surface residue very well. I am very pleased so far with it. The other thing I have noticed with it is very little water rides on the record as it rotates out of the Degritter cleaning tank. This makes drying much quicker.

Osage Audio Products, LLC

hitmanhart408 and SpinIt like this.
  22. SpinIt

SpinIt Musicphile

Most interesting post since a while in this thread. How much do you add to a tank?

bloodlemons likes this.
  23. Johncan

Johncan Always learning

^^ I mix it by the gallon and then add the mix to the Degritter fill tank. Directions state 4 ml of concentrate per liter of water. If I did the math right that is 15.1 ml on concentrate per gallon of distilled water (4 ml x 3.87 liters = 15.1).

24. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I know we are all able to use our own solutions and most have been OK’d by degritter themselves. But I’m finding the stock degritter solution to work so well, and because so little of it is needed to be effective (I use 1ml per tank), I just don’t see much reason to outside of using the stock solution. Effective, easy, very little risk for NVRA (if any at all), and great sonics

5-String likes this.
  25. SpinIt

SpinIt Musicphile

Yeah I've also been sticking to the Degritter own solution at about 1ml, and I'm quite happy with the results. It seems to do the groove cleanup very well. But it never really did much for fingerprints. From the comment above it seems that the "Audio Intelligent's Enzymatic Record Cleaning Concentrate for Ultrasonic Record Cleaning Machines" (Whoa that's long) does that as well.

recstar24 likes this.