Deleted 12,000+ Digital Files

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rockin_since_58, Oct 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

What part of that song sounded like it skipped? I can verify it with the CD.

2. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I think it was the early part of the song, before the singing starts. But I later discovered by watching the video on TV that I had been wrong.

3. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Gone are the worries of backups and dealing with programs and utilities to manage the digital files. I will maintain a Pandora Premium account for causal listening in the car since it does not have a CD player.

If you stuck it all in your garage, basement or gave your collectiin to a deserving friend, you still wouldn't of had to worry about.

I bet a friend would have loved "to ease your worried mind". But in the end it was your collection to dispose of in your own way.

I guess that was how the record companies felt getting rid of their pre war metal masters.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  4. Grant

I don't hear any skipping whatsoever.

5. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork

I've never noticed any difference in my records on playback depending on the day, weather or whatever. They seem amazingly consistent considering it's an analog medium. And if they get dirty it's easy to clean and get it sounding pristine again.

6. prudence2001

prudence2001 Forum Resident

I would add "boss" and "dude"

7. prudence2001

Plus almost any DVD player will handle a CD no problem.

I have backed up downloaded .flac or .shn or even .ape files (mostly live recordings or unreleased material never to be found on commercial releases) to CDR since at least the end of the 1990's and almost never had a problem copying the disc at a later date. I can even put a data CD or DVD into my DVD player and it will play just fine. It's really just a container, just like a record or a tape.

I must have 40,000 tracks (mostly .flac files) on my computer, and they barely take up 500 GB. It's the movies I have that take up most of my 4 TB of storage, and I love having the choice to scroll through and pick out anything that strikes my fancy.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  8. prudence2001

You can always donate to Goodwill or any other charity. They will get some benefit, and you can feel better that someone else will get pleasure from your music, just like you did.

ARK and Crimson Witch like this.
  9. prudence2001

Actually Google Play Music will be disappearing rather soon, as Google intends to transfer all the GPMusic over to YouTube. They haven't spelled out exactly how, but I have been on Play Music since the beginning and use it all the time, as well as having uploaded 30,000 tracks, and I'm curious if all of them will seamlessly move over to YouTube, with artwork, playlists, and track naming intact. Honestly, I'm skeptical based on Google's track record with other services they've tossed to the side of the road. I will never trust any streaming service because none of them honor the simple meaning of forever, even if they claim it will be forever in their service contracts.

Rock66 likes this.
  10. George Cooke

George Cooke Well unknown member

I applaud the OP's courage. I too enjoy the physical media. The only reason I digitise is to transfer hi res rips to my portable player. I backup my iTunes to Google Play (admittedly that converts to lesser definition but, whilst it still works and is free, why not? I have the original CDs.

Any mp3s given as part of a vinyl purchase I keep as well These are backed up also, with my music on an external drive.

However, playing disks, tapes etc. physically gives me greater fulfillment. I enjoy having some sort of order on my shelves as well.

Rock66 and melstapler like this.
  11. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

My fear is that the OP could begin facing psychological trauma from deleting this large library of carefully cultivated files.

zphage, Grant, Zeki and 1 other person like this.
  12. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Ever heard of a basement flooding? We recently had one.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  13. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

You don't even need a flood. Fire, wind and earthquake also qualify. Hopefully you have no more of these and your point is reasonable.

14. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

It’s not just bad luck, let me tell you...

15. fantgolf

fantgolf Forum Resident

I don't have that many (maybe a few hundred), I haven't deleted them, and I no longer listen to them. Well engineered physical media is now my thing. All about SQ from now on.

Rock66 and rockin_since_58 like this.
  16. Grant

Agree. I see absolutely no purpose in discarding all that music just because of the format it resides on. I can't see throwing away all that money.

The vinyl resurgence, and streaming, has caused a lot of people to do strange things. At the very least, the OP could have just put all those digital files on an external drive and put it away somewhere. If the day came when they needed to access some of that music, it would still be there. But, now...

Some people are quite impulsive, only think of the moment and never of the future.

ARK, melstapler, Rock66 and 1 other person like this.
  17. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

I’m in the process of ripping the last batch of my cd’s to Apple Lossless. Once I’m done I’m gonna sell them. They have been sitting in a box for years and I never even look at them. My iTunes library is 80GB, enough music to last me for the rest of my days. I’m just gonna backup my iTunes folder to Google Drive as it’s safer than an external hard drive. As long as there isn’t an apocalypse that shuts down the internet my music should be safe.

18. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

You can hold a hard drive in your hands, what's the difference? Both a CD/DVD and a hard drive simply store digital data. One is optical, one is magnetic (or flash memory). o_O

I understand the desire for album covers and booklets, etc. but surely the best thing about having all of your media in one place (aside from convenience) is that it is actually a backup, and that library can itself easily be backed up. If you ever decide you want a backup of your physical media now, well it's gonna take you an awful lot of time! :yikes:

I would question that assertion. It's safe as long as Google deems it so. As unlikely as it may be, your data is gone if they ever go bust or you lose your internet connection. Much more likely though is that they have some licence dispute or get sued by some record company and have to purge any data that's deemed copyrighted, or your account gets hacked and you lose access to your data.

By all means use cloud backup services but I would never consider them a primary source of backup. Always best to follow the 3-2-1 rule: 3 backups, in 2 different formats, with 1 off-site.

Starwanderer, Rock66 and bherbert like this.
  19. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Your CDs are malware/hack-proof.
    Your computer, even the servers and cloud storage systems you rely on,
    are not.

Pop_Zeus, Tullman, Rock66 and 2 others like this.
  20. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Definitely. The other night I watched the 2018 film adaptation of "Fahrenheit 451," starring Michael B. Jordan as the fireman Montag, who burns books, art and history. This film is an interesting take on the book and it was creative how they updated the story to include the tracking and burning of physical books in addition to eBooks as files stored on hard drives. The firemen are given ample amounts of power, but controlled mainstream media paints them as heroes who are protecting and saving society when in reality, they're evil henchmen helping the powers that be to re-write history. My favorite scene in the film is when Montag holds an actual book for the first time and I instantly imagined how Montag would've responded if he were holding an LP or CD for the first time.
    [​IMG]

eschorama, zphage and Crimson Witch like this.
  21. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

22. [​IMG]

Rock66 likes this.
  23. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

They're also slightly easier to carry in a shoulder bag though. :D

If you're not wanting to access your media over the internet then a storage medium doesn't need to be connected to the internet in the first place. A couple of offline NASs (one primary, one backup) would do the trick and would be just as hack-proof as a CD.

walrus, Crimson Witch and Rock66 like this.
  24. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

The original security condition for Windows NT required no network connections. The minute the PC/NAS/network is connected to the internet you are vulnerable. Unfortunately even USB ports can sink you with respect to being hacked, that is, if you use them.

But DragonQ you're making the correct point.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  25. ARK, melstapler, AlanDistro and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.