Deluxe Van Der Graaf 'Aerosol Grey Machine' coming in April

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 93curr, Feb 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 93curr

93curr Senior Member Thread Starter

It'll cost about $80 and what you get is a remastered CD (same track list as the previous "mastering supervised by Peter Hammill" edition on Fie!), a second disc with one previously unreleased BBC tracks, two demos, three BBC tracks already available and the 'People You Were Going To/Firebrand' single (previously available on CD only on the Repertoire disc.) Also an LP of the original album with the alternate cover art and a replica of the single.

Van Der Graaf Generator: The Aerosol Grey Machine 50th Anniversary Edition, 2CD/ Gatefold 180 Gram LP/ 7-Inch Single Limited Edition Deluxe Boxset - Cherry Red Records

It's maybe a little too light on music I don't already own to justify me buying it, but you may think otherwise.

kendo, Giacomo Belbo, Mylene and 2 others like this.
  2. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Too rich for my blood. But at least they are using the unused UK cover design for the LP.

3. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

I fancy this...!

4. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

Nice one. Be interested in getting this.

5. fRa

fRa Conny Olivetti - Sound Alchemist

I really hope Hammill has nothing to do with the remastering?!

Alien Reg, 100423, mr.datsun and 2 others like this.
  6. Meatface

Meatface Forum Resident

I LOVE Peter Hammill as a composer & singer, but his mastering has mangled his past catalog. I have original UK vinyl of most of it, but I'd buy this, if it sounds decent.

ganma and fRa like this.
  7. squonkduke

squonkduke Forum Resident

Thanks for the info.
    Ordered.

8. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Love VDGG but I picked an original copy of this album still in the shrinkwrap at Amoeba ages ago, and I can’t say I’ve ever loved this album.

altaeria likes this.
  9. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Interesting, and as a bit of a pH/VdGG completist (not total completist however) I'm tempted of course. I just really hate paying an inflated price for having vinyl in a box when I don't do vinyl, don't have a turntable anymore.

crozcat likes this.
  10. Seagull

Seagull Seabird flavour member

Hmmm. I've had a copy of the original LP for ages, rarely play it though as I rate it well below the classic VdGG/Hammill releases of the 70s.

The thing that made me stop and think though is that this is the 50th Anniversary!!! re-release.

Slim Zooms likes this.
  11. nsmith1002

nsmith1002 Forum Resident

I really don't need this as I already have the German Fontana vinyl and the Repertoire and Fie! compact discs but I went ahead and pre-ordered it anyway.

As far as the Hammill mastering on the Fie! issue goes it is not as compressed (DR 11) as the 2005 remasters of the VdGG and solo albums (DR 8 or 9).

12. ganma

ganma Senior Member

Some of the worst de-masterings in prog history. I’ve never been lucky in getting a good sounding copy of 2 of my favorite albums -Pawn Hearts and H to He. My old vinyl was scratched, the old CDs were poor and the remasters bricked to death. :realmad: Steve Wilson remixes please!

kendo, mcwlod and Haggis Wampovich like this.
  13. It does seem a strange choice for a deluxe package. Outside of Italy, how many people even know this record?

altaeria and Chrome_Head like this.
  14. fRa

Italy?

15. jcarr73729

jcarr73729 Forum Resident

I have been impressed with Cherry Red and Esoteric remasters over the years, so I would expect a good job from the best available source tapes.
    I've no idea why they are only pre-selling a dual vinyl/CD package, so I'll wait for the non-vinyl package, which is hopefully CD/DVD, with 24-bit remaster.
    As expressed above, this is not one of their best albums, I play is very rarely, so I'm not drawn to this fresh release.
    I have all the SACDs from the albums after this, thankfully not remastered by PH.

BTW, if anyone missed it, PH is pre-selling his new 8-CD solo live boxed set:
    Sofa Sound - Orders

JediJoker likes this.
  16. Italy embraced VDGG more than any other country.

Ignatius and JediJoker like this.
  17. Grower of Mushrooms

Grower of Mushrooms Omnivorous mammalian bipedal entity.

Out of idle curiosity, does anyone have any idea of how many of these the record company would expect to sell worldwide?

18. fRa

Ah, ok, but that was the early 70’s
    when they and Genesis toured Italy a lot
    Lets hope the rest of the world has catch up by now! ;-)

Slim Zooms and Pete Puma like this.
  19. Yeah, this early album may not have been that big anywhere, but their 70s run was another story.

Slim Zooms and fRa like this.
  20. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

I like Aerosol very much , a nice companion to one of my favourite Peter Hammill albums, Fool's mate , great to see the original artwork but too pricey for me

kendo and Slim Zooms like this.
  21. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

What a shame vinyl and cd mixed formats again I'm out

JediJoker and crozcat like this.
  22. Gumboo

Gumboo Forum Resident

I have the German Fontana Special. It's the only version I'll ever need.

kendo likes this.
  23. Godbluff

Godbluff Forum Resident

I'm in for this, a little expensive for what amounts to one vinyl, a double CD and a 7" single but there's enough there to tempt me - the two 1967 demos (hope they've sorted out the tape wobble at the beginning of Firebrand), unreleased BBC track and the alternative cover for the intended UK issue.

24. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

I highly doubt a DVD will be part of any package for this album. In recent memory, the only times Esoteric has included audio DVDs with reissues has been when there are surround mixes to include. I do hope the two CDs will be liberated to a standalone release, though.

25. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

I’ve preordered. I’ve always liked this album other than the daft title track but I agree it’s pricey for what is new. I guess every album I’ve ever liked will get a 50th anniversary edition. From Genesis to Revelation must be next in the queue although it’s anniversary is only 8 days away so if it appears it’ll be later in the year.

This could get very expensive very soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.