Denafrips Dacs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bever70, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Did that OCD guy really upload a video of himself enjoying Chinese food to somehow prove that he’s not garbage? I’m not even watching it to see what he says.

2. DonNylon

DonNylon Forum Resident

Thoughtful design not to mention a robust looking piece in that video. I've watched GoldenSound for a bit so always a good common denominator, in my opinion, when his reviews, videos, etc. content are brought into audio discussion. A lot of his 'internals' talk can go over head but he articulates it well, but I was most sold by his 'sound' portion. It's always hard to articulate the nature of audio playback or 'sounds' in general in accurate words, but many of these public figures have those descriptors down. Looks like these would be best ran into speaker setups versus headphones.

3. Dafox

Dafox Forum Resident

Regarding the Denafrips dacs, what is the difference between stand-by mode and full "on"?

4. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

I think it means that the unit is powered-up, but not actively managing a signal. Often the controls are locked-out in standby mode, as I believe is the case with the Denafrips units. I think the idea is to keep it "warmed up" but also protected from accidental button-pressings.

Dafox likes this.
  5. Dan Rosen

Dan Rosen Active Member

At timestamp 18:12 the Reviewer mentions audio glitches/pops with the Bluesound Node digital output (USB) with Denafrips Pontus 2 as well with Holo Audio May.
    So it’s a bit unfair if people just ask Alvin has to sort it out as the problem is more likely the source like Bluesound Node, concerning other DACs as well.

daveNH, Influxor and ubiknik like this.
  6. Tony C.

Tony C. Forum Resident

Just to be clear, the skipping issue is undoubtedly a Denafrips problem, not third-party sources. I know nothing about the streaming issue, but that would be separate.

7. inzite

inzite Forum Resident

specifically for the bluesound node, just by looking at their forum it seems other dac also could have microskipping issues too so its possible issue may also be on the node side as well. for me and my node2i there isnt any issues anymore and i used both toslink and coaxial. for cd playing for me i've never had any issues while using a pretty pedestrian marantz cd6006 as transport. i suspect the microskip happens when specific source + denafrips are together.

8. inzite

inzite Forum Resident

yep the usb output has/had glitches with other dacs as well and you can find a few posts on bluesound's own forum.

9. Tony C.

Tony C. Forum Resident

Denafrips does not dispute that the microskipping issue is related to their DACs, so it doesn't matter that only some users experience them. In other words, even if there are no problems with some sources, the fact that there are with others is Denafrips fault, not the third-party manufacturers.

Tone? likes this.
  10. inzite

inzite Forum Resident

Fair point about Alvin not giving an official statement about those who have issues matching their Denafrips with particular sources - in fact I don't think anyone here (me included) is disputing there is a design gap in the dacs. But it's also worthwhile to point out that some sources like bluesound node also have issues with other dacs in a similar manner whether it is through the usb of the latest node or through coaxial for the 2i or older, in this particular case it's likely not just a denafrips issue - I started with no issues then I upgraded the node2i firmware then it was skip city and then I resolved it by turning on clock trim on the node2i (bizzare) and all has been well since. It's also worth while pointing out for transports and denafrips that it seems to only be there when certain brands are used with denafrips - in my case, using my marantz as a transport has absolutely no issues. I just think we should be clear on what sources and brands has issues with denafrips potentially so people who buy can be informed and decide accordingly.

jmathers likes this.
  11. Tony C.

Tony C. Forum Resident

Perhaps, but especially given that the issue has surfaced with some relatively high-end transports (I used a SimAudio MOON 260d), any implication that it isn't fundamentally a Denafrips problem would be misleading.

I would say that this is a somewhat problematic position to hold. The reason is that it helps to enable Denafrips to continue to produce and sell faulty DACs, without being held fully accountable. The company has apparently run a cost/benefit analysis and made the decision not to recall the DACs, but rather to hope that any damage from the problem is limited, and will not greatly impact future sales. Taking the position that you suggest is supportive of that decision, as it implies that the issue is not particularly problematic as long as consumers steer clear of certain sources. In my view, relatively expensive, and otherwise high-quality DACs should not suffer from a design flaw that adversely affects their use with even a small percentage of source components, and consumers should exert pressure on the company to do the right thing.

Bear in mind that this is not Denafrips only transgression, as they have also falsely claimed that their DACs have NOS capability. As I have mentioned on a number of occasions, I like Alvin and believe that he does a good job, but I do hold the company responsible for these issues, and have not been impressed with their related decisions thus far.

12. inzite

inzite Forum Resident

In general I don't disagree with any of that but I just feel that in parallel while we force a formal statement that it's also worth calling out what works without issue and what doesn't work. In the mean time I'll just have to keep enjoying the pontus ii and see what part I can do to help those who still has issues ;).

Last edited: Sep 11, 2022
  13. Leroyd

Leroyd Forum Resident

And as Denafrips design and build their DACs, one would have at least expected explanation from them. This issue has been about the place for a long time.

timind and Tony C. like this.
  14. BassBone

BassBone Active Member

Recently I bought a used Ares II. Immediately, I abosolutely loved the "non-digital" sound of R2R done right.

However, I soon noticed a significant variation in the sound signature when switching sampling rates or between PCM and DSD. The sound was sometimes great, sometimes subtly "odd", and other times quite harsh, almost like a generic DAC or a driver in "limp mode".

At first I assumed it was a bad USB cable, then drivers, then software then sources. But, the problem persisted with all setups I tried: Android tablet with Neutron player; laptop or desktop with Foobar2000; with ASIO and without; with DoP and without; with and without conversion to DSD exclusively for playback. I was beginning to suspect the unit was somehow compromised.

All, the sources I tried via USB had the same issue. Once I identified a few short tracks to play in a loop and I memorized their "good" signatures, I found that once the sound had degraded it would never fully recover without a reset.

Finally, after finding some unreliable workarounds, I found what seems to be a reliable solution:

Short version: ASIO+DSD with "Reload driver on DSD/PCM change" checked

Long version:

Windows(8 & 10)
    ASIO4All v2
    Foobar2000:
    Denafrips ThesyCon Drivers:
    https://4b933e33-e849-4c73-8489-3c2...s/4b933e_815a537eb293476a899e00893416109c.zip
    foo_out_asio+DSD (This is critical, and yes the +DSD version matters.): https://versaweb.dl.sourceforge.net/project/sacddecoder/foo_out_asio+dsd/foo_out_asio+dsd-0.3.2.zip
    The s-audio DSD FIR 64fp filters:
    http://s-audio.systems/public/uploads/other/S-Audio_Systems_DSD_filter.zip

Preferences:
    Playback->DSP Manager: No Active DSPs
    Playback->Output:
    Device: "ASIO+DSD: Vinshine Denafrips USB Dac" (This is critical)
    Buffer Length: 5000+ ms
    Output Format: 32-bit
    Playback->Output->ASIO+DSD:
    Select "Reload driver on DSD/PCM change" (This is THE critical setting and requires ASIO+DSD)
    I also select:
    Run in separate process
    Use 64 bit ASIO drivers
    Run with high process priority
    Tools->DSD Processor: Unselect "Use DSD Processor"
    Tools->SACD:
    Output:
    Type: DSD+PCM or DSD
    Volume: 0 dB ( when the DSD is amplified it seems cloudy... maybe it's imaginary, but I noticed...
    Converter:
    DSD2PCM Mode: FIR 64fp ( not sure how much this matters or when it matters...)
    DSD Processor: None
    Other: Unselect "DoP for Converter"

FYI: The unreliable workarounds are below. These don't always work the first time:
    1. Power Cycle the DAC
    2. Or, Disconnect & Reconnect the USB
    3. Or, Select a different input on the DAC then select USB again

Audio Chain(s):
    Windows(8 & 10) with Foobar2000 or Android with Neutron
    Audioquest Forest USB
    Ares II
    Straight Wire XLR
    Topping A90 Discrete (High Gain/Mode 1)
    Balanced out via Canare MR202-2AT + AKG 240DF(1980s both US and Austrian) with Dan Clark Alpha Pads
    Balanced out to HIFIMAN Sundara
    Balanced out to HD 6XX
    Unbalanced out to Austrian Audio Hi-x65 and Hi-x55

PS: This effect was barely noticeable with the HD 6XX except when at it's most obvious, and excrutiating with the Hi-X55s. It was obvious with the Sundaras. The AKGs were the most revealing of the issue and most rewarded with the end result. The Hi-x65s are somewhat like the AKGs for some reason...

After all this I noticed the same behavior with the Schiit Jotunhem 2 with the Multibit Dac. It's just no where near as obvious as with the Ares II. It's obviously a USB issue and not really specific to the Ares II or the Theycon drivers. Although, the could just always reset the driver when switching contexts by default.

Hope this helps.

yodog likes this.
  15. yodog

yodog Well-Known Member

hell yes it does! Thank you for taking the time to share your findings.

16. Cekootje

Cekootje Well-Known Member

I never heard of these problems. Do you have a problematic example? If this is happening to everyone then I truly don’t understand why it’s so popular.

17. Mike H.

Mike H. Forum Resident

I have never had such issues...different audio chain on my side though. I have a NUC as my RoonCore then it goes wireless via Roon software to an Aries Mini streamer, USB out to the Ares II and out to my Audiolab 6000-A.

18. Harris11235

Harris11235 Forum Resident

No problems here either with a Terminator II fed at different times by a Node 2I, Lumin U1 Mini, Auralic Aries Femto and Arualic Aries G1.1. All worked perfectly.

Tone? and Mike H. like this.
  19. cordobaman

cordobaman Rich Corinthian Leather

On Gustard R26 product page, it shows the resistor networks and other features.
    歌诗德官网 | DAC-R26

I've had one now for about two weeks, replaces a TEAC NT-505. Updated to the latest firmware for ROON and MQA. Ethernet connected using ROON, personal library of flac and DSD, plus Tidal. Noticed an immediate difference, a much wider/deeper sound stage and increased micro-detail. All the catch-phases we audiophiles use apply here. Without a doubt, overall sounds better to my ears than the TEAC. However, there is no hardware control for the volume so I have to use the cheapo IR hand-held remote. I did try DSP volume control thru ROON, but it fell flat sound-wise. Plus, that negates the idea behind NOS anyway. 16/44.1 flac sound incredible. DSD, not quite sure if the R26 is any better/worse than the TEAC, but it is very real sounding. MQA operates thru Tidal as it should, being fully decoded.

Overall, I'm 90% sure it's a keeper. It has really drawn me into the music. There have been certain songs that stand out with detail, clarity, tone, and realism that I keep going back to over and over. Staying up too late with this one!

Tinnitus Andronicus likes this.
  20. joevernon

joevernon Forum Resident

I have the NEW Terminator II 12th coming in a few days. I currently have the Terminator II connected via a Hermes DDC i2s.
    I'll report back when it arrives and I have time to A/B them.

Harris11235, Ham Sandwich and jfeldt like this.
  21. Dafox

Dafox Forum Resident

Great, which I2S cable are you using, have you tried more than one?

22. alvin1118

alvin1118 Forum Resident

It's likely foobar DSD add-on glitch.
    We recommend roon/Audirvana Studio. These softwares are good. Guide https://www.denafrips.com/win-os

Mike H. likes this.
  23. kiddo4

kiddo4 Forum Resident

I've no issues with JRiver.

Influxor and Mike H. like this.
  24. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head! Thread Starter

The AresII has been 'upgraded' to the Ares12th to celebrate 12 years of Denafrips. Totally redesigned front, i²s input and different internals too (capacitors,...).
    The original AresII is now called Enyo. Not sure why they didn't keep its original name, considering its pedigree and the amounts of good reviews it did gather over the years. From a business point of view, not really sensible imho to change the name of the original.

Pics from the Ares12th inside:
    [​IMG]
    Front:
    [​IMG]

adamos, Mike H. and ubiknik like this.
  25. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

If you think about it, that’s even worse.
    I mean from a buying standpoint.

if some of the units are ‘ faulty’ and not all, it means there is a manufacturing process lack of QC.
    Not to mention that, the issue won’t get more attention it deserves.

and that is why it hasn’t even been addressed by the manufacturer yet after all this time .