Denafrips Dacs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bever70, Nov 8, 2019.

1. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head! Thread Starter

Just a reminder that we all have different tastes and expectations :righton:.

2. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Thanks Tom......:)
    When the time comes I will be happy to report my findings on the Topping D90.

Of course it WON'T be on this Thread.........

But WILL be here....Topping D90 - Best measuring DAC, $699

3. Tom_P

Tom_P Well-Known Member

Hey, have you seen this recent comparison between the Ares & D90 from The Next Best Thing

4. bever70

Thanks for this! At last a shoot out between the Ares and D90 :D.
    I must say he is saying exactly what I would think the differences are. Also with regards to preamp capabilities of DAC's in general. I also tried a few and they all failed in that compartment, I prefer a good seperate preamp over a built in dac-preamp. Even the humble Schiit Saga preamp laughed at the built in dac-preamps I tried.

unclefred and SergZh like this.
  5. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

I just ordered an Ares II, my first outboard DAC in about 12 years. I'll be using my Cambridge Audio 651C as a transport -- is it recommended to use optical or coaxial for the connection?

(Sorry if this has already been addressed in the thread, it's a long one and a search of the terms wasnt useful.)

Ivand likes this.
  6. bever70

Nice! Let us know if you like it (or not) !
    I thought coaxial is preferred by most. I only have my Tv going into one of the optical inputs.

rodentdog and rischa like this.
  7. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Thanks!

8. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I use coaxial when using a DAC with my older Marantz CD player.

rischa likes this.
  9. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

I just ordered a foot of Belden coax from Blue Jeans. Should do the trick.

Thanks, all, for the advice!

bever70 likes this.
  10. alvin1118

alvin1118 Forum Resident

jazzsurfer, ubiknik, dennem and 4 others like this.
  11. bever70

The CDT has my interest! Very good that you went for a top loader, I hate slotloaders and flimsy tray loaders. How does the slot loading mechanism works? Looking at the photos you just slide it back manually to open ?

12. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

I have no idea if it's actually manual, but I was assuming it was. The overall layout and design principles look quite similar to the Jay's Audio CDT2.
    But the Denafrips looks like it might also be half the price.

bever70 likes this.
  13. bever70

It's about €/$1000 when I do the conversion from Singapore $.

displayname likes this.
  14. alvin1118

alvin1118 Forum Resident

The AVATAR is a killer, period. It's priced crazily low for its quality. It's simply amazing.
    It is manual top-loading, CDM4/19 laser module, and a hell lot of digital output. Its features-packed with upsampling and connect to an external Master Clock (freq 22.5792Mhz / 45.1584Mhz).

The CDM4/19 laser is easily replaceable. Guys will Allen key and Philips screwdriver can do the job in minutes.

If you still spin a disc often, do consider!

Cheers,
    Alvin

bever70 and displayname like this.
  15. alvin1118

alvin1118 Forum Resident

Hello guys,

Like to share the users' impression of DENAFRIPS DAC.
    https://www.denafrips.com/news

I am extremely happy and encouraged to read these positive impressions. This is simply the best encouragement and drive for me to continue what i am doing and i will do better!

Thank you for your support!

Alvin Chee
    www.vinshineaudio.com

moops and displayname like this.
  16. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

I got a shipping notice for my Ares 2. Delivery estimate is Monday, but I'd be surprised if it actually arrived then as it's coming from China. Probably sometime next week, though.

:pineapple:

Now if I could only decide on a streamer to pair it with...

displayname, Eigenvector and bever70 like this.
  17. alvin1118

alvin1118 Forum Resident

displayname likes this.
  18. Gerardo Ortiz

Gerardo Ortiz Well-Known Member

Hi

I wanted to give you all an update on the issues I had with my Ares II unit that really gave me a headache but fortunately it had a happy ending.
    After several tests, several firmware upgrades and many many hours listening to music without really enjoying it Alvin was convinced that the unit was faulty and there was nothing more to do but to replace it.

Maybe some of you can understand the feeling of paying attention to imperfections in the sound, trying to identify that pop, crack or anything that should not be there. It almost becomes an obsession that prevents you to really enjoy the music and I hated the Ares II for that.

But Alvin true to his word honored the warranty and sent me a replacement unit. Something I appreciate and thank Alvin because he even sent the new Ares before even receiving the faulty unit. And this deserves to be mentioned because I sent the unit using local postal service during the pandemic and because of that the unit is stuck in customs with no information on when it will arrive. Alvin sent the new Ares II just with a picture of the receipt I sent so after a couple of weeks I already had my new DAC with me.

I've been testing it and putting hours of listening and at this moment I have not found any issue, finally I can enjoy again the pleasure of listening to the music, not the equipment.
    I'm no audiophile I simply enjoy my music trough competitive electronics and I'm very satisfied with my current setup: Ares II DAC, McIntosh 252 integrated amp, KEF R3 speakers, Allo digione streamer.

Definitively Ares II has a lot of stage and sound is better than my previous DAC, I even like more the combination with TIDAL than with my Onkyo cd player.
    I'm no audiophile I repeat so I have no way to describe how it sounds I can just say that I'm now satisfied with the product.

ubiknik, DavidD, adamos and 5 others like this.
  19. bever70

:righton:
    Good to hear this update from you and that your issue was dealt with in a proper way!
    Kudos to Alvin and Denafrips and enjoy the Ares !

DavidD likes this.
  20. SirAngus

SirAngus Forum Resident

Who paid the return shipping if you don’t mind?

21. Gerardo Ortiz

Gerardo Ortiz Well-Known Member

The cost will be refunded by Alvin as he promised but at this moment the issue is the item is stuck due to covid19 at airport.

DavidD and displayname like this.
  22. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It appears someone has found a DAC that appears to outperform his Denafrips Pontus.

Also cheaper.

23. bever70

Good for him :D!
    There will always be someone, somewhere who likes something better....so what ?!

24. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

That depends on what you're listening for in a DAC.

I find the RME DACs to sound fine but the music has no sense of "there". There is no "there" there. I value having a sense of "there" in the music. If a DAC doesn't deliver that then it is not a DAC for me. I'm also not that fond of other AKM based DACs that I've heard. They sound fine, but don't have the "there" and imaging and musical involvement I'm after.

I also haven't been able to hear any current version Denafrips DAC. I don't know if any of the Denafrips have that sense of "there" that I want either. Eventually I'll get to hear one and find out.

bever70 likes this.
  25. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Have you heard or found any DACs / chips that gave you your "there" feeling? Just curious.

Classicrock likes this.