Denafrips Dacs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bever70, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The Schiit multibits, Berkeley Alpha DAC (it's a delta sigma chip based DAC that only does PCM), some of the Chord DACs (Dave does, Mojo doesn't).

Ivand likes this.
  2. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head! Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure the Ares will get you "there" because I believe that we both look for the same qualities in a DAC ;).

basie-fan likes this.
  3. basie-fan

basie-fan Forum Resident

The Ares II has everything I love about the Mimby but better in every way.

bever70 likes this.
  4. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'd love to try one but I'm retired and live on a fixed income so I'll stick with the Mimby.

basie-fan and bever70 like this.
  5. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

My Ares II -- originally scheduled for delivery by FedEx last Monday, then Wednesday, now pending -- spent a few days in China, a few days in Japan, and has now been scanned in South Korea 3 times. I understand that delivery from China can take time, but I'm getting major ptsd from my experience earlier this year when FedEx lost my amplifier for a few weeks and it came with holes in the box and damage to the amplifier itself. The seller reimbursed me, but wasn't successful in getting reimbursement himself from FedEx.

Any advice on what I should do if the Ares arrives with visible damage to the shipping carton? I'm seriously thinking of refusing delivery if it looks beat up. I just don't trust FedEx to do the right thing and would rather go through my credit card company.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  6. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

^^^Bitching about shipping on internet forums works! Just got an update that it's in Alaska. Progress! :laugh:

adamos and bever70 like this.
  7. bever70

Fingers crossed it gets to you in one piece :righton:

rischa likes this.
  8. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I've been on the launch pad to get the new DSP card for the Pontus for awhile now, but honestly I think it sounds better every week as is.
    I recently cleared the decks (some anyway) to less between the speakers and played with toe in and distance between the speakers and the digital through the Pontus is doing very well I must say.
    Often very on par with two decks (one is a newish AT OC9xsl on a new 1200GR and the other is a CA Charisma w/50 plus hrs on their carbon satisfy arm mounted on a Marantz tt15s).
    I want to do some serious recording sometime soon to transfer some of that analog sound to digital files.
    Anyway I will get the DSP card eventually, probably sooner than later but for the very near future I will be tweaking and setting up the analog.
    I don't suppose anyone has jumped on one of those DSPs to report about yet?

bever70 likes this.
  9. bever70

If I had a dac I really liked, I would be afraid to do any upgrades to it...or is the dsp card totally seperate, can it be switched in and out ?

displayname and ubiknik like this.
  10. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

It can be switched in and back out so no issues there.
    The description of the upgrades make it sound tempting, besides increased DSD and hi res features, the fpga programming was tweaked to supposedly increase soundstage, and the overall sound is described as being improved.
    The only way for me to find out would be to get it, I think it costs around $200.

displayname and bever70 like this.
  11. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Hey Alvin, when you have some time do you think you could give some detailed information about this Soundaware streamer?
    I'm very curious what it is capable of software wise, I have a feeling that this product may be better than a lot of options in it's price range, but the detail descriptions that I find focus mainly on it's mechanical build quality and don't really say much about how it can be used as far as connecting to internet services and what if any control software that might work with it or that it might provide.

12. alvin1118

alvin1118 Forum Resident

Hi @ubiknik,

Soundaware streamers are built for ultimate sonic performance. It is not packed with a bunch of features found in today's streamers available in the market.
    That being said, it doesn't come with fancy mobile phone app/web-browser, nor does it support spotify/tidal/qubuz streaming services.

It supports:
    • Local files playback via
      • SD card
      • USB Drive (SSD/HDD/Thumbdrive
    • Network (Ethernet wired)
      • NAS
      • DLNA
      • Apple Airplay
      • Roon Endpoint
    • Bluetooth
    • USB D/D Converter
      • Reclock & Buffer the USB datastream, output to the DAC via I2S/SPDIF

The strength of Soundaware streamer is the I2S output and roon-endpoint.
    I use the Soundaware D300REF as roon endpoint, HDMI i2s output to the Denafrips Terminator DAC. I have the Tidal integrated with the roon core. With roon, i can use the roon mobile app to navigate music much better than the Soundaware on-screen navigation.

Hope this helps!

Many thanks.

Yours sincerely,
    Alvin Chee
    www.vinshineaudio.com

Oliver Meyer and ubiknik like this.
  13. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

the Ares II arrived safely. I've only been listening for a few minutes so not ready to comment on SQ, but I will say it's different.

Can anyone explain how to change from OS to NOS? The manual isn't very clear. It says to press mute (check), then press OPT1 momentarily, and when the OPT1 led is on it's in NOS mode, and when it's off it's in OS mode. However, when I press OPT1, the sound comes back on and the USB led turns on for a few seconds (then turns off) but nothing happens with the OPT1 led. What am I doing wrong?

Edit because I found a YouTube video and figured it out like a big boy. Not sure what I did wrong before but think I've got it now. Still not sure why the usb light comes on when I press OPT1, but I noticed in the video the CO 1 light comes on when OPT1 is pressed (I'm using CO 1 out, dac in video is set to usb). I'll assume this is just a quirk and not worry about it too much.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    bever70 likes this.
  14. moops

moops Senior Member

This page has videos that cover pretty much everything.

https://www.denafrips.com/single-post/2020/03/12/ARES-II-DAC---Configuration

My USB light comes on as well, but then goes out. I'm using the CO1 output as well and in NOS mode.

rischa likes this.
  15. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

It's incredible the difference a little black brick has made to my system. I've only had the Ares 2 for about a day, but the changes are so obvious that I don't really need more listening time to describe them.

This is the first outboard DAC I've had in 10 years (the last was an Emotiva), so I can only compare it to my Cambridge Audio Azure 651 CD player, which I've had since 2012. I'm using the cambridge as a transport into the Ares via coaxial.

When I first turned the Ares on it was very hard sounding and the soundstage was constricted compared to the Cambridge. But switching to NOS mode smoothed things out and opened up the soundstage quite a bit beyond what the Cambridge was giving me. Like others have noted, soundstage depth and layering have also improved by a wide margin.

I'm mostly surprised by the improvement to bass. I didn't know my system could produce notes this deep. I've seen a couple reviews comparing the Ares 2 to the Topping D90 that say the Topping has better bass. If this is true, then I think the D90 would be way too much for my system. I've had to turn the crossover on my subs down a few clicks to compensate for the added low-end. Or it could be that the bass isn't lower than before, just more prominent. Either way, low end from the Ares is excellent.

Another notable change is the added body and weight the Ares gives the music, and I'm not really talking about bass here, but the quality of the music overall. The notes have have a solid presence if that makes sense. Detail and separation has also improved.

I'm listening to Bjork Homogenic right now, and the holographic quality of the music is almost overwhelming.

The problem now is that my digital source beats my turntable, which I definitely didn't expect to happen. I imagine when I eventually add a streamer and have access to even better digital, my turntable will be an expensive dust collector.

Someone going to the Ares from a more recent or better quality DAC probably won't experience the drastic differences I have coming from the Cambridge, but for me this is easily the most noticeable improvement in sound quality I've experienced since replacing my Tekton speakers with Omegas (only a lot cheaper).

Not too shabby.

16. alvin1118

alvin1118 Forum Resident

Awesomely excellent impression!
    I'm glad that the little Ares II DAC is sounding great in your system! Enjoy @rischa!

p/s: We're shipping some 80 units of Ares II DAC this week. If you guys had placed an order and been waiting for it, I appreciate your kind patience.

Cheers,
    Alvin Chee
    www.vinshineaudio.com

rischa likes this.
  17. alvin1118

alvin1118 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These will go out by the end of this week! Cheers!

Dan Steely, timind, bever70 and 2 others like this.
  18. Audioquestjoney

Audioquestjoney New Member

Hey Alvin @alvin1118
    What will happen when in a couple of years the matrix in Ares (and not only in Ares) will float (from the heating of the resistors and their thermal instability over time)?
    ...look forward to hearing from you

19. bever70

Very good description of what the Ares2 brings to the table! Especially the body and weight it adds to the music and notes...
    Leave your Ares2 on all the time and then in a few weeks try OS mode again for a longer time, you might like it better than NOS mode as it adds just a little more attack to notes (but I guess this is system dependent as some prefer NOS mode).
    When in OS mode, you also have 2 filters to play with (by following the same sequence as switching from os to nos, only now you use opt2 to toggle between both filters).

rischa likes this.
  20. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Thanks! Good idea to go back and try OS mode after a bit. I'm also running some forward sounding tubes at the moment, so I can see how OS mode might be just the ticket to liven up more laid-back tubes. It's nice to have the option to adjust the sound based on other factor influencing the system.

bever70 likes this.
  21. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Is this a real possibility? Kind of weird that you joined the forum to ask this question, when you could have just as easily messaged Alvin directly through his site, or even directly here. It's almost like you wanted everyone to see what could be a huge flaw in the DAC architecture. Not saying you're wrong, but I did a lot of research before choosing the Ares, and I didn't see this problem come up anywhere. Please provide more information, otherwise I'll just assume you're a competing manufacturer ("audioquest"joney) here to create doubt about a popular new DAC on the market.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    bever70 and Monty12 like this.
  22. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

That question more than likely refers to r2r architecture in general going out of spec over time due to resistors falling out of spec with each other.
    Since it is a programmed field of resistors that are all matched to a specific number, it does make sense that eventually one or two or however many may begin to fade from their original number/spec., I'm no expert but something like that is what I think they refer to.
    Is it actually a big deal? It wasn't that long ago that I saw a Phillips dac from the eighties that was more than likely a r2r design as it was as big as a tank, it was priced pretty high for something that old so it probably still sounded nice.
    I'm not worried one bit.

23. Audioquestjoney

Yes, its real possibility. You did not know?) Read this about matrix:
    www.dastereo.ru/t/yunoshe-obdumyvayushhemu-pokupku-czapa-slushaj-ne-pokupaj/110/5646
    www.dastereo.ru/t/yunoshe-obdumyvayushhemu-pokupku-czapa-slushaj-ne-pokupaj/110/5647

I have been reading forums.stevehoffman for a long time, and this branch too. Almost from the very beginning. I own Ares 2 for about a year (at the end of summer there will be a year). And I really care about this issue in the future.

The representative of Holo Audio also wrote that after some time the matrix requires calibration.
    Another thing is that nobody is likely to do it in Ares (and in their other devices). And the representative of Denafrips is unlikely to answer my question, this is an uncomfortable question.

24. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Thank you for the explanation, which makes perfect sense. My problem with audioquestjoney's post is that they created an account to pop in and say something disparaging without offering any supporting information.

TheVinylAddict and bever70 like this.
  25. Audioquestjoney

You are fundamentally wrong in thinking and this is only your problem.
    It's a shame to read this.
    But this is not your personal forum, so I don't take offense at your ridiculous assumption.
    I asked a real question that bothers me.
    If this does not bother you, then simply ignore it.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020