Denafrips Dacs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bever70, Nov 8, 2019.

1. moops

moops Senior Member

Just in case you're not across this already, here's a couple of videos on how to switch between NOS/OS mode and how to select the slow or sharp filter once you're in OS mode. The filter selection isn't available in NOS mode.

Have fun :wave:

NOS/OS mode ......

bever70 likes this.
  2. moops

moops Senior Member

Filter selection ......

bever70 likes this.
  3. oktapod

oktapod Forum Resident

Ordered and paid. Now just a couple of weeks to wait :)

4. Influxor

Influxor Active Member

I just wanted to add an Update to a Thread Reply that I made some days ago...
    The lesson I am learning as I obtain better equipment is a matter of patience.
    As of today the Ares II has really started to mature in presentation. The details in the sound have become more refined and pleasing to my ears.
    Music has a smooth, effortless more lifelike quality while dynamics remain well defined in the sound stage in a way that keeps me wanting to listen to more.
    I think the Ares II will work out wonderfully for me until the time comes when I can try out something further up in Denafrips ecosystem. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
    RockAddict likes this.
  5. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy

You finally made a decision :).

At least you won't be left wondering - I really hope it works out. Just one thing, as others have indicated: give it time to settle.

oktapod likes this.
  6. daveNH

daveNH Well-Known Member

Re: Pontus II v. Venus II - the two article combined may give you a decent idea: Venus 2 , and Ares 2 & Pontus .

In the 1st article, Venus II is seen to be akin to the original Terminator. YMMV.

7. jazzsurfer

jazzsurfer Forum Resident

"they must be run in the oversampling mode if transport does not provide oversampling" or something like that the reviewer states. whats up with that?

8. moops

moops Senior Member

I just read the same review and yeah, I don't quite get how that statement is worded.
    And, unless I missed it (which is possible :)), he doesn't mention trying the NOS mode at all on the ARES II ?

9. oktapod

oktapod Forum Resident

I wonder whether Venus II is closer to Terminator than to Pontus II. I’ll never know, since I’ve no way to do a comparative demo, and maybe I don’t want to know either, but now that I have a few weeks to wait, I’ll doubtless obsess over this….

10. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy

If the 6-Moons review of the VII is to be taken at face value (caution there), the VII+Gaia is close to a match for the original standalone Terminator. That said, I'd want to see a whole range of reviews on that specific point before following my nose and splurging another £2K (UK) for a Gaia. In effect, you're then looking at a £5K DAC (i.e. VII with Gaia) and, for me, that's in "fun" territory unless you're fortunate to have the bankroll to play. That said, will I be tempted to try, say, an Iris with the Pontus II? Unlikely, especially as I have a plan of sorts to experiment with a few (cheaper) DACs starting either later this year or early next year. If that goes ahead, the Pontus II will (probably) be the static unit for comparisons.

11. M.Yu

M.Yu Well-Known Member

Upstream, your streamer or software can oversample...

12. M.Yu

M.Yu Well-Known Member

I think the Venus has higher spec resistors. The Pontus has the same as Ares

13. oktapod

oktapod Forum Resident

I believe that most of the differences between VII and T are in the clock and PSU, not to mention the larger case. Which, ironically, put me off the T (since it would have needed me to re-think my rack).

VII, being not much bigger than my current DAC, will fit with minimum fuss :D

14. oktapod

oktapod Forum Resident

Interesting. Going rate currently is about £2.5k direct for the VII, so it would come in more like £4k direct for the VII+Gaia, but still a fair chunk of change....

15. Calvin_and_Hobbes

Calvin_and_Hobbes Music Lover

Funny enough, +1 from me on the size issue as well. My system in in our bedroom so WAF matters along with my own desire not to house something that looks like a server farm in my bedroom.

LostArk and timind like this.
  16. Calvin_and_Hobbes

Do you have a good streamer already? If not, a good streamer (instead of a PC or Mac) could reduce the need for the Gaia at a lower cost than the £1.5k cost of the Gaia.

17. oktapod

oktapod Forum Resident

Well, not top-end, but I’m using a Node 2i.

18. Calvin_and_Hobbes

I will investigate streamers myself at some point. I've got a Pro-ject Stream Box S2 Ultra that seems to sound pretty good. For more expensive streamers, I've heard a Simaudio Moon 280D and a Naim NDX 2 and couldn't hear any differences between those and my Pro-ject listening casually. (not a head-to-head comparison).

I'd be curious to see whether a "better" streamer (if there is such a thing) or a DDC is a better value in terms of sound quality improvement.

Dan Rosen likes this.
  19. PoetryOnPlastic

PoetryOnPlastic Forum Reedmaker

I've used a few streamers in my time as a reviewer and the ones I recommend at each price tier are:

1. Bluesound Node 2i ($550)
    2. Innuos Zen Mini ($1400)
    3. Innuos Zen MK3 ($2850)
    4. Metronome DSS ($4200)

You really do get a performance jump in these, especially once you get to units that have real power supplies in them. I used the Pontus ii for my Metronome DSS review and I thought the two worked well together. If I were spending my own money though I would probably get an Innuos. With the Zen mini you do have the option to upgrade to a separate power supply ($700) down the road.

Dan Rosen likes this.
  20. Calvin_and_Hobbes

@JumpingBean, If you have time to provide details, what improvements did you hear from each jump in price tier?

In particular, what SQ differences do you hear between the Innuos Zen Mini (with the optional LPS?) and the Innuos Zen Mk3

1. Bluesound Node 2i ($550)
    2. Innuos Zen Mini ($1400)
    3. Innuos Zen MK3 ($2850)
    4. Metronome DSS ($4200)

Considering the $1450 jump in price between the Zen Mini and the Zen, or the $2800 jump up to the Metronome, is that money better spent on the better streamer or on a DAC? All of this completely hypothetical for me having just got a Pontus II in April, but asking these questions to help frame my thinking for future audio spending.

Thank you

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
  21. PoetryOnPlastic

PoetryOnPlastic Forum Reedmaker

I haven't heard these side by side, but detail and control are the things I've noticed most when I got up the streamer chain. The Metronome is a detail machine, and it has whisper quiet backgrounds, reminded me a lot of their CD player which was far and away the best digital source I have ever used. The Innuos stuff I got to play with for a few days only, but I remember they had a lot more "body" and low end than the Node 2i which I have heard in a number of systems. I think you'd be happy with either the Zen Mini or the Zen MK3, they will sound a lot better than the normal $500 wall-wart streamers. Also they let you rip your CD collection so you have everything in one place. I would find a dealer to see if you can compare the two streamers, they might even let you bring in your DAC.

Calvin_and_Hobbes likes this.
  22. Calvin_and_Hobbes

Thank you. This is great stuff. There is an Innuos dealer fairly close to me. At some point, I might take my Pro-ject streamer and Pontus DAC up there to see what a more expensive streamer can add to my system.

23. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head! Thread Starter

A nice and thorough review of the Ares2 with very interesting testing of the so-called NOS mode and slow/fast filters. One of the few reviews where I actually learned something new about my dac.
    Thanks to @Spaceboy for posting the link in his thread: GoldenSound - Denafrips Aeres 2 DAC review

moops, timind, adamos and 1 other person like this.
  24. jazzsurfer

jazzsurfer Forum Resident

what power chord to use?

25. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

After watching this review, kinda makes sense that I like the sound of the Fast OS mode best.