Denafrips Dacs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bever70, Nov 8, 2019.

1. ernest787

ernest787 Forum Resident

That was an excellent review. I've become a big fan of that channel

gabbleratchet7 likes this.
  2. moops

moops Senior Member

Great review ! ........ it's a little mystery box isn't it ?

3. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Maybe you guys should read this review..........

32X OS occurring in NOS mode!!!!!!!!!

4. moops

moops Senior Member

We're talking about the same review ....... my comment was meant to suggest that not everything is what it appears with the ARES II.

Still ..... sounds great, though the NOS now NOT NOS thing is kind of weird.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
    Linger63 and bever70 like this.
  5. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head! Thread Starter

It's what we allready did....maybe you guy should read this thread :nyah:!!!!!!!!!

As for NOS not really being NOS, couldn't care less because I bought this dac to use as an OS DAC!

Linger63 likes this.
  6. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

:hide:

bever70 likes this.
  7. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head! Thread Starter

FWIW but good to know : the original Ares 1 didn't even have NOS mode ! So it wasn't a NOS DAC to begin with, only in version 2 the so-called NOS mode was added.

Ares 2 is also shipped in standard OS mode. NOS mode appears to be more like some kind of 'flavour' added to it. So calling Ares2 a 'true NOS' dac is just not right to begin with imo.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
  8. Tony C.

Tony C. Forum Resident

With regard to the "true" NOS issue, it would be nice if someone would explain what the audible differences might be between it, and the apparently interpolated Denafrips version.

I'm quite happy with my Pontus, but am curious.

bhazen likes this.
  9. Calvin_and_Hobbes

Calvin_and_Hobbes Music Lover

I tried 4 power cords with the Ares II. Three were loaned to me by a friend & I bought the $15 Tripp-Lite cable. I got the $15 Tripp-Lite cord because I don't believe a more expensive product is necessarily better and I generally like to get a good quality, non-audiophile product as a benchmark for comparison.

Note: All cords were broken in by being connected to the DAC in operation for at least 100 hours.

Tripp-Lite Heavy Duty: $15
    Shunyata Venom V14: $135
    Audience F3 Forte: $150
    Synergistic Research UEF Blue: $499

My listening notes:

Though a $499 power cord probably does not make sense, the Synergistic Research UEF Blue sounded best with the Ares II DAC. I hear a bit of harshness from the Ares and the Synergistic cord does best at tempering that harshness. In addition, the Synergistic cord adds a noticeable degree of transparency versus these other cords. The Shunyata cord was 2nd best and the Tripp-Lite cord was third. These cords were less transparent and harsher in sound than the Synergistic cord. The combination of the Audience cord and the Ares DAC was unbearably harsh sounding to me so I didn't even try to listen to the Audience cord for long.

Interestingly, my order of preference was different on the Pontus II DAC. The Synergistic Research cord was quietest but seemed to obscure detail. The Shunyata cable was the best at keeping the sound lively and the resolution high. Best value goes to the $15 Tripp-Lite Heavy Duty cord that also has similar sonic characteristics as the Synergistic and Shunyata cords and produces about 80% of the sound quality of the Synergistic cord. The biggest disappointment was the Audience cord that seems to make the Pontus sound a bit smeared in resolution of details. I've decided to run my Pontus DAC with the Shunyata Venom power cord, but may investigate more expensive power cords at some time in the future.

Douglas Lam and jazzsurfer like this.
  10. jazzsurfer

jazzsurfer Forum Resident

Vinshine recommended this :
    AudioQuest NRG-Y3 Low-Distortion 3-Pole AC Power Cable - 3.28' (1m)

Calvin_and_Hobbes likes this.
  11. Beatles4503

Beatles4503 Senior Member

So I'm really digging my Pontus II DAC. Been playing around with OS and NOS. Right now I'm liking the OS mode with the sharp filter.

12. realgone

realgone Forum Resident

It seems to me the overwhelming impression of the Denafrips DACs are that they have a more analogue quality compared to d/s DACs. This may have to do more with their R2R architecture than sampling modes since there seems to plenty of people who prefer the OS modes, which seems to be the case with most professional reviewers. I agree that we should think of it as a "filter" choice and not get perturbed by this NOS/non NOS question. Just enjoy what it is.

moops, basie-fan, bever70 and 3 others like this.
  13. jazzsurfer

my Pontus is now in session! oversampling sounds better right now

Calvin_and_Hobbes and toddrhodes like this.
  14. oktapod

oktapod Forum Resident

Still waiting for my Venus II to be dispatched….

15. Beatles4503

Beatles4503 Senior Member

As I mentioned a bit back in the thread, I'm listening to OS with the sharp filter on. At first, comin from NOS or OS slow, it seems a bit "etchy" but as it it runs in, it now sounds excellent.

rischa likes this.
  16. johng123

johng123 Active Member

Hi. I have a Denafrips Ares II and I generally love the sound. I have had it for about a month and have recently found that I am getting some high end distortion—almost clipping-like—on certain recordings when the DAC is in OS mode. Or could it possibly be a settings issue in Roon or even the Bluesound?
    Running Roon(Tidal,Qobuz)>Bluesound Vault>Denafrips Ares II
    Thank you in advance.

17. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

I have not experienced anything like this with my Ares II and my setup is similar:

Roon>Tidal>Cambridge CXN V2>Ares II

Have you tried NOS and both slow and fast OS?

18. jazzsurfer

is fast mode factory setting?

19. rockin_since_58

I think it ships in NOS mode but not sure. In any case, just takes about 10 seconds to change modes.

20. jazzsurfer

So when I go into the oversampling mode am I listening to the fast or slow filter

21. rockin_since_58

It is your choice. Here is a link to the details on how to change the modes :

https://www.denafrips.com/config-ares

22. jazzsurfer

thanks I got it now lol

23. johng123

johng123 Active Member

It works OK in NOS mode. Strange...

24. rockin_since_58

Why is that strange? Sounds fine in all 3 modes, each sound slightly different but none sound bad.

25. johng123

johng123 Active Member

Strange because OS mode sounds bad on some recordings. Like the treble totally breaks up and distorts.