Denafrips Dacs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bever70, Nov 8, 2019.

1. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Not sure on the last bit but in theory I think you'll be ok. But for what it's worth, whenever someone asks what "coax digital cable" they should buy, I always recommend a true BNC cable, with coax RCA adapters. I've read, but don't remember where, seemingly countless stories about BNC cables being true, 75-ohm, even wtih the adapters on the end, while RCA generally is not. So yes, I would go that route you're thinking of first :)

2. LostArk

LostArk Forum Resident

You're right that only BNC cables are 75 ohm, but unfortunately the receptacle on the Ares II is RCA, so it's introducing an impedance mismatch (i.e. jitter) no matter what. I guess using the BNC with adapter is still better than an RCA terminated SPDIF cable, but I do wonder why Denafrips didn't just give the Ares II a BNC jack like the Pontus. This is only a concern for me because the output of my transport's BNC SPDIF is cleaner than its USB output, I guess for most other digital sources the opposite is true. Sigh. Looks like I may have to just spring for a Pontus II.

3. three_paws

three_paws deleted account

Still listening to the DACMagic Plus a lot, and finding that it sounds pretty analogue; it actually reminds me of the Orto Blue in a lot of ways (and with some masters it actually sounds better to my ears). Would really love to hear from someone who has experience with the Ares II and phono carts--I'd be really curious what cart the DAC's sonic signature approximates.

4. three_paws

BTW, I'm doing the comparisons with CDs. Streaming and flac files just don't sound as good. No idea why. Could be gain.

5. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

My CD'S always sound better than streaming or local FLAC files even though I am using the Ares 2 for all sources.

6. three_paws

Yea, it's weird, since the information is the same. It must be gain level, no?

7. rockin_since_58

I just figured that my Rotel CD11 is doing something better than my Cambridge CXN V2 streamer.

iluzun likes this.
  8. three_paws

I'm listening to CDs via the DACMagic (coax), so I assumed the DAC is working with the same dataset in each instance.

9. oktapod

oktapod Forum Resident

My Venus II is here. It's connected. It's about to get its first proper listen (other than to confirm it's connected correctly). Based on what I have heard so far, it's a step up - or, at least, very clearly different - to my Brooklyn with its LPSU. I won't make any further comment for a week or so, to give it the time to get past burn-in etc. - it will, after all, be horribly jet-lagged, having made the big flight from Singapore to the UK....

10. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy

Any additional fees such as VAT, import duty, handling etc? Or, just the price as at checkout with Vinshine?

11. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

Looking forward to your reports and updates ...:D

rednedtugent, GLUDFSSR and Tone? like this.
  12. toddrhodes

I'll be checking out the new iFi Zen Stream tonight, through Venus II via USB. I'll be checking out both DSD 256 via HQ Player and PCM384, to see how they compare to both my Ian Canada DDC and my Pi2AES running a max of PCM 192.

moops, iluzun and three_paws like this.
  13. toddrhodes

Been doing some comparisons of this Zen Stream and I have to say, it sounds surprisingly better than what I already had. Which is funny, because I emphasized clean, quiet power (LifePO batteries), lightweight operating systems, etc... And from everything I've listened to thus far - Zen Stream is another step up in clarity and transparency.

Using tracks like Art Blakey - Mosaic, Distant Worlds - Swing de Chocobo (yea it's orchestra Final Fantasy music, fight me), and various Tool tracks. Been swapping back and forth between Zen, Pi2AES, and a Pi4 via USB. Zen is a clear winner.

I just wish I could explain, objectively, why. Mosaic is the easiest track to discern differences. There's a really nice bass line riding behind art's drums and whomever is on piano, and it just kinda blends in on Pi2AES. On Pi4, it's more present, but lacks impact and pace. With Zen, it's all there. The piano feels more in the room, and Art't epic solo in the middle has better attack and more tonal character, more complexity via Zen. That's the part I can't quite put into words. It's like there's more energy in the trailing notes and harmonics as he's hitting his toms, but I don't know if that is the right way to articulate it. It just has more realism and it feels less like a recording.

Really neat. And totally perplexing. I'm just using the standard iPower power supply it comes with, also.

14. oktapod

oktapod Forum Resident

Just the price as at checkout - the VAT inclusive thing seems to cover everything, including import duties. I ordered just under four weeks ago I think, and there was about a week or ten days for stock, then about the same for the delivery plus whatever admin delay the VAT inclusive thing involves.

Swann36, RockAddict and Tone? like this.
  15. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Any more observations so far for the DAC?

16. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head! Thread Starter

I use a streamer/server/cd player Cocktailaudio X40 and both flac files AND cd's played on this machine sound just as good. So it's not the files/cd where's the difference, it's in the different gear you use to play both.

17. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head! Thread Starter

No Chromecast yet as I understand from their website but it is announced to be 'coming soon'. Might try one but ONLY when Chromecast is implemented so I can stream from my external hard drive through Plex.

18. oktapod

oktapod Forum Resident

OK, it's mainly very positive thus far, but I'm wary of jumping to premature conclusions. I will say that it has a truly wonderful sound, definitely a substantial leap forward from Brooklyn/LPSU - greater than I expected - but don't ask my to describe quite how, since I've not quite got my head around it. Definitely more detailed, and most of what others have written applies: more space, a sense of ease without sacrificing timing and dynamics, etc.

The only negative for me is something that may be a teething issue, a minor issue with my CD transport or its cable, or a possible gremlin in the Venus itself - when listening to CDs via coax digital into the Venus, and with OS selected (the default), I became aware of occasional minor clicks. Not loud pops or anything, but glitches that were almost minor enough to make me question if I'd actually heard them. Perhaps once per 5 minutes of listening, thereabouts, and sometimes masked by the music itself. I've since switched to NOS (which was probably my preferred option) and I don't hear them - or maybe they're not noticeable. I've been in contact with Alvin, and I guess it could be a number of things, including the fact that the Venus was still pretty cold after its 10 day journey to me. I'll switch back in a few days and try again, see if it still happens. A minor annoyance at this point, and in my previous post-but-one I did say I wasn't going to judge until it had had a chance to bed in and settle down, and this applies to this as well as to the sound.

Overall, though, absolutely delighted with it so far.

Swann36, RockAddict and Tone? like this.
  19. three_paws

Ordered the Aries II today. Going to be a long 7 to 10 days...

bever70 and rockin_since_58 like this.
  20. rockin_since_58

It is worth the wait.

bever70 and three_paws like this.
  21. LostArk

LostArk Forum Resident

The Ares II is advertised as having "Adaptive FIFO Buffer and Reclocking." Does this mean that I shouldn't be concerned with whether I'm using USB or SPDIF vis-a-vis jitter? If the answer to that is yes, then if I'm using galvanically isolated USB, there's no further improvement to be had on the source side of things, because 1) there is no possibility of electrical noise (galvanically isolated), and 2) the jitter introduced by USB is re-clocked by the Ares II. One concern I currently have on the source side of things is using galvanic isolation without a DDC / re-clock, but if the Ares II re-clocks then adding a DDC would be superfluous, no?

22. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

They make 75ohm RCA to BNC cables.
    From what I understand the RCA throws off the termination by a little bit.
    But it is still a more solid connection than using RCA to RCA and 50 ohms (typical) cables.
    I use this with my own Ares II and 24/192 works without a hiccup.

Of course with even good optical I still get dependable 24/192.
    So it's all just a matter of using best procedures and it is perhaps a bit anal retentive.
    Oh well.
    I still like doing it for insurance when appropriate.

23. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Do instruments and voices sound more real than the Brooklyn?
    Does it make you tap your foot?

thanks In advance !

24. oktapod

oktapod Forum Resident

Very much so. Even at this stage, with only 48hrs on it, it’s in a different league to the Brooklyn. Better in every conceivable way.

25. edo.t

edo.t Forum Resident

I bought a Venus several months ago and it had this very issue. They are well aware of the problem too so don't let them waste too much of your time. They claim a firmware update will sort it but that requires that you have a windows computer - which I don't being a Mac person. Updating the firmware really should be much easier than this. After several annoying weeks listening for faults instead of music they sent me a replacement clock board which I had to install myself (easy but getting the tight lid on again is a real bitch). The problem is now much improved but I'm still not completely sure resolved (my amp has been away for a recap for the past 5 weeks and I haven't been using the Venus). The problem is with the buffer filling up. I've read so many reviews of Denafrips DAC's and you are the first to mention the issue. I wonder if the problem is a rarity or folks are just not listening all that closely. It is like you said, subtle but pretty annoying none the less. I suspect they need to redesign something. Good luck. It is a great sounding DAC - best I've had.

toddrhodes, oktapod and Swann36 like this.