Denafrips Dacs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bever70, Nov 8, 2019.

1. oktapod

oktapod Forum Resident

Wondering the same thing. I still get occasional microskips between Node 2i and Venus II via coax. Don't think I have any issues between CDT2mk3 and Venus II via I2S. It would be good to fix the skipping although less of an issue for me since the CD playback is better. If the skips are not fixed in this update, can we expect a future update to deal with these (no mention of them on the link, Alvin).

Kind regards :)

Red and inzite like this.
  2. inzite

inzite Forum Resident

long story for micro skip even on a pontus ii
    I've recently had to update the firmware in my node2i via bluOS as I kept having disconnect issues with Tidal (via Tidal connect or in BluOS) and I immediately started getting what folks here call micro skips - to me it sounds abit like static/pop on vinyl. I did not have any issues like this since getting my pontus ii last april. I've tried powering everything down + unplug/replug for a few mins but it still had that issue. Finally I decided to check BluOS sound settings menu and I see the auto clock trim was disabled just like how it was before I upgraded the firmware (was issues free before) so as a last resort I decided to actually enable the auto clock trim... and it fixed the micro skipping/pop/static issue. It was happening pretty often until I decided to do the opposite LOL... not sure if the node2i got bugged during firmware upgrade where it reversed the state of this particular setting itself.

short story for potential microskip fix (even on a pontus ii)
    try enabling auto clock trim if you've suddenly had the issue after a firmware upgrade.

my pontus ii has been on since last april and it runs totally issues free - i blame my short (now fixed) micro skip episode on my node2i/bluOS.

Dan Rosen and RockAddict like this.
  3. edo.t

edo.t Forum Resident

There is nothing that indicates the (very real) buffer over run problem has been fixed.

V3.12.0 (Current latest version)
    - Date 29th Nov 2021
    - Compatible with macOS / winOS / Linux
    - Improved low level STM MCU32 USB handshake with host
    - Supports PCM1536 / DSD1024

This is sad and just plain lame! I would think that if it could be fixed, it would have been by now.

4. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

No skips here on my Pontus II.
    My AresII has been smooth as silk.
    Only time it had the hiccups was once after a Microsoft update.
    A further update cleared it up.
    The Pontus hasn't even blinked since day one.

E.Baba likes this.
  5. inzite

inzite Forum Resident

seems like pontus ii folks may be the only ones in luck for now. dont believe anyone here with a pontus ii who had persistant issues.

6. realgone

realgone Forum Resident

Had a similar experience with my Ares when flipping the Clock Trim toggle. Strangely there was a definiite change in sound for me just becuase of this apparrently minute adjustment. And the fact that Bluesound came up with this adjustment leads me to think the interface between dacs and streamers are not so simple but also because I have read that other brand users also experience such issues, not just with Denafrips.

inzite and RockAddict like this.
  7. inzite

inzite Forum Resident

curious to hear more about the sound difference between clock trim enabled vs disabled. in search of a solution of my problem i also say other node2i users with other branded dacs with similar issues.

8. realgone

realgone Forum Resident

I am not good with describing sound characteristics but with Clock Trim off, it sounds a little darker, tighter and faster. Like a slight reduction in mid bass frequencies.
    Yes this problem seems to happen across different brands and Dacs it seems. I am wondering if it's because there is this trend towards implementing more and more accurate clocks that's causing this. Maybe someone more technical can comment.

inzite likes this.
  9. oktapod

oktapod Forum Resident

Doesn't explain why it happened with my previous CD transport. And, indeed, still happens (irrespective of auto clock trim setting) from time to time on my Node 2i (but not nearly as much as it did on the Cambridge CXC).

I have a whole lot of time for Denafrips and really enjoy my Venus II, but it would be a nice xmas present if they could fix the microskip thing in firmware soon :D

inzite likes this.
  10. inzite

inzite Forum Resident

I would be super pissed if i bought a venus ii and the microskip/static/pop can't be fixed at all. Denafrips + Alvin definitely need to offer a firmware fix or replace units with some future version that doesn't have the issue or offer venus ii folks pontus ii with partial refund.

I'm on the 10th hour (in total) of sit down listening with the clock trim on and there is no more micro skips/static/pop anymore. It was so obvious after that firmware upgrade that even my wife asked why there is static on a digital input.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
  11. inzite

inzite Forum Resident

given it's the first night I've had clock trim turned on i'm still trying to notice the difference. Will report back in a few days.

12. terzinator

terzinator boots lost in transit

If not using USB, any need to update?

13. Leroyd

Leroyd Forum Resident

Hopefully the firmware update will have solved the skip/static issue. I am in the market for a Dac, but it most certainly will not be a Denafrips.

inzite likes this.
  14. edo.t

edo.t Forum Resident

What source & input are you using?

15. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

The Ares is on co-ax SPDIF.
    Gets it from a USB to SPDIF convertor (Topping D10s).

The Pontus is using USB off my laptop out in the main room.

Neither uses a streamer.
    I simply run the apps offered by Spotify and Qobuz.
    And I also listen at low res to regular internet radio stations from all over the world running straight off the internet however the station sends it out.

Plus I have two 400-CD carousels running at standard 16/44.1.
    These are plugged into two of the SPDIF inputs on the Pontus II.

No problems anywhere.
    Except briefly from Windows and that healed itself.

inzite likes this.
  16. inzite

inzite Forum Resident

same, hoping those folks with the ares and venus gets their fixed. love the results on my pontus ii and hopefully other folks gets to enjoy their dac fully.

17. edo.t

edo.t Forum Resident

I don't really know why the Pontus should be immune from the problem? It uses the same clock as the Aries. And the buffer overrun is caused by a clock incompatibility. Some of the folks reporting no problems are using the USB input and none of the Denafrips have a problem with this input. Others without issues just happen to use a source with a compatible clock on the synchronous inputs (coax, toslink, AES & I2S). I think they all have the problem and this is a design flaw. I wouldn't mind being wrong though. Is anyone using a Pontus experiencing the problem?

18. Tony C.

Tony C. Forum Resident

Yes, it is not an exception. Infrequent, but apparent.

A firmware fix was being beta-tested, but it's not yet clear to me whether or not it is a part of this very recent update.

inzite likes this.
  19. inzite

inzite Forum Resident

didnt have a problem until i updated the node2i firmware 2 days ago and fixed it by turning on clock trim - no issues now just like before. never had any issues before that. cd player via coaxial never had any issued either.

20. inzite

inzite Forum Resident

Assuming you have issues with your pontus ii then its probably the only persistent issue for a pontus ii reported on here so far.

Hope there is a fix for folks having issues on their denafrips in general.

For me im using it issues free again with the below setup.
    Node 2i (via toslink) to pontus ii
    Marantz cd6006 (via coaxial) to pontus ii

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
  21. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I'm confused, if you didn't have a problem then what got fixed?

22. inzite

inzite Forum Resident

had the pontus ii and node2i connected since last april, been using it without any issues. updated node2i firmware 2 days ago and started getting the micro skipping. enabled clock trim (vs off before upgrade) and now back to normal with no issues.

Dafox, ubiknik, timind and 1 other person like this.
  23. Tony C.

Tony C. Forum Resident

I've seen plenty of other reports, though perhaps not here.

Why would you imagine that a buffering issue would affect other Denafrip DACs, but not the Pontus?

24. inzite

inzite Forum Resident

oh i was just suggesting and just basing it on my exp given most ppl use the node2i via either toslink or coaxial.

25. Tony C.

Tony C. Forum Resident

I haven't followed it very closely, but isn't USB the one connection that is immune?