Denafrips Dacs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bever70, Nov 8, 2019.

1. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head! Thread Starter

Yes, only 30 minutes on this forum to edit a post.

2. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I have and all of them have moving parts and make some sort of mechanical sounds. Do I now need to supply makes, models and serial numbers? My setup has zero moving parts so nothing much to make noise. Maybe I’m sensitive to it, maybe my listening position is somewhat close to my rack, whatever it is I can hear the innards of CD players spinning during silence between songs, very quiet parts and at startup and spin down.

3. bever70

Well I have the same problem with laptop/smartphone loaders (or even some pc screens), I can hear the high pitched noise that some of them make, even if they are on the other side of my room. Don't have any problem with the cd player I use though, I guess it is silent enough for me :D.

4. Naka9

Naka9 music first audiophile

I have said this before in this thread but it makes sense to do an update, since a couple of weeks have passed:
    after the last firmware upgrade all the issues I had with the Pontus II and Cambridge CXC transport are resolved.
    Also never had any “clics” from the Pontus II with all the cd players I’ve used as transport, or the Auralic Aries streamer.

5. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

I had this problem 4 or 5 years ago with a new Emotiva ERC3 CD player and I could not get used to it sold it within several months. I am very sensitive to any noise that shouldn't be there. My Mac 1900 receiver developed a transformer hum after having in my main rack for 15 years. I could hear it between tracks and in silent passages. Ended up moving it to the living room in an enclosed cabinet to power the speakers for our TV. Unfortunately a replacement transformer is no longer available or I would have continued to use it as my main source.

bever70 likes this.
  6. Tony C.

Tony C. Forum Resident

You don't need to, but it would be interesting.

I use a Moon 260D transport, and here virtually nothing at all with my ear next to the transport, with the volume down. When I toggle between pause and play, I hear no difference whatsoever. There is nothing remotely like the sound of a disc "whizzing away".

7. Calvin_and_Hobbes

Calvin_and_Hobbes Music Lover

I literally plugged the USB cable into my Pro-ject streamer and my Denafrips Pontus II DAC (also did this with the Ares II DAC). There may be some settings that make a difference. The output device should automatically be picked up by the streamer as USB HiRes Audio. DSD Playback Mode is DSD Direct. You might try a 'factory reset' of the streamer under System Updates in the System menu in Settings. I'm thinking that the previous owner of the streamer might have set some settings that are not compatible with the Denafrips Ares II DAC. You might also check for updates to the Pro-ject streamer. Updates are also under the System Updates menu.

8. Dan Rosen

Dan Rosen Active Member

„You might try a 'factory reset' of the streamer under System Updates in the System menu in Settings. I'm thinking that the previous owner of the streamer might have set some settings…“

After my experience with the second hand Bluesound Node 2i that‘s what I thought and did too. The Ares II doesn‘t get recognized by the stream box at all as if nothing was connected. the Streamer is up to date, only the Ares could take a firmware update which is my next step of problem solving after I am back from season holidays.

9. oktapod

oktapod Forum Resident

Jay’s Audio CDT2 mk3. No skips. No transport noise. Built like a sexy silver tank. Sounds sublime into a similarly sexy silver Venus II. Job done.

inzite likes this.
  10. FromMysticStreet

FromMysticStreet Forum Resident

unfortunately a $2500 cd spinner isn’t in my future. Hopefully they fix the issue with a firmware update soon.

11. inzite

inzite Forum Resident

no issues with my marantz cd6006 either. so you have choices lol.

12. FromMysticStreet

I’ll look into marantz too. Cheers mate.

inzite likes this.
  13. Dan Rosen

Dan Rosen Active Member

By the way and just for the records: I seem to prefer OS mode with slow filter too.

14. FromMysticStreet

Does anyone know if the filter chosen effects the skip issue?

15. bever70

Yes, I believe NOS has less issues.

16. FromMysticStreet

Any difference with slow vs fast OS?

17. FromMysticStreet

Either way I’ll do some listening in NOS and see how it is. Cheers

bever70 likes this.
  18. bever70

The slow and fast filters in OS mode didn't seem to make any difference no.

19. edo.t

edo.t Forum Resident

The filter one chooses has nothing to to with the buffer over run / skipping problem.
    I don't really understand why Denafrips claims that these DAC's are NOS because they are not. Stereophile tested them and nixed that as did several others with analyzers on YouTube. It reflects pretty badly on the company.

Leroyd likes this.
  20. bever70

Well they could have called it NOSBNR (Non Oversampling But Not Really) :rolleyes:. The RME even has an 'NOS' or 'Superslow' filter and everyone knows the RME is far from being a NOS dac.
    I don't think the Denafrips are sold and advertised as Nos dacs because they even arrive with OS slow being the standard setup! They are advertised as R2R DACS!! It's people like you who claim they are being sold as NOS dacs.

Dan Rosen likes this.
  21. SHU

SHU Forum Resident

Well, to be fair; on the Denafrips website it does say Non Oversamping (NOS) / Oversampling in the specs for the Ares2.

That would lead me to believe that there's no oversampling when set to NOS. That does not seem to be the case, so it's confusing at the very least.

22. bever70

Maybe they should have called it 'Super Slow' as they did in the RME.
    This is what the RME manual says about this filter:
    NOS (Non-Oversampling, SuperSlow)
    The DAC includes another filter which is called Super Slow in its data sheet. The impulse re-
    sponse looks perfect, but checking the output signal with an Oscilloscope reveals steps that are
    more typical for so called Non-OverSampling (NOS) devices, so we renamed it NOS within the
    DAC filter menu.

So basically I don't really care how they call it. I'm only interested in how it sounds. I suppose it's 'easy' to just call it NOS, because people usually know what the impulse response curve of a NOS filter looks like.

23. edo.t

edo.t Forum Resident

That is complete BS. The button on my Venus's front panel says OS/NOS. They are clearly making a claim that is false. False claims by RME don't justify false claims by Denafrips. I think most don't want to buy a product that approximates something it claims to be. Especially at this price point. It either is or isn't. Many countries have truth in labeling laws for a reason.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2021
    Leroyd likes this.
  24. bever70

See also my post above.
    Sell your Venus if you have a problem with their 'marketing' and buy a 'real NOS dac', plenty of them around, problem solved.

25. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I would like to see a link to the stereophile article.
    Not too sure about 'analizers' on YouTube.
    FWIW if the NOS setting were to be fake then the fact that the filters don't work in NOS mode must be because NOS IS a filter, either that or with the oversampling being bypassed there is no filtering on the straight RtoR path.
    I'm simply not convinced that these DACs are not doing a NOS mode, there needs to be a definitive and decisive answer to this, it came up in this thread about 30 or so pages or so and so far it is the type of claim that is neither proved to be correct or incorrect.

Leroyd likes this.